• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Disney fires ‘Guardians of the Galaxy’ director over tweets about pedophilia & rape

f0xrolder

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Should he get his job back? Isn't this the new NORMAL, surely there's nothing wrong with what he stated? He was born that way!

DiklDZuX4AI2Mgi.jpg:large

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This probably means Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 is gonna suck.
Everyone from the cast is advocating for him, so I'm guessing he's gonna get his job back. I'm not defending the tweets, but they're also 10 years old and he's acknowledged that they were in poor taste and has since apologized. The only reason we're even hearing about it now is that the same conservative conspiracy theorist that brought you Pizzagate dug through his entire history for dirt on him

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
He shouldn't have said any of that, even though he obviously wasn't being serious with those tweets. Everyone close to Gunn, including the GotG cast, has rallied around him and stated that's not the man they know today. When speech crosses the line, there should be consequences, but holding people accountable in the present for speech long past seems like we're taking things too far as a society. Who hasn't made a Catholic priest joke or two on the internet. He made a couple genuinely good films with no traces of this type of crude humor in them, personally I'd love to see him complete the trilogy because he'll be going on to direct other films anyway.

Last edited by Xzi,

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
conspiracy or theory? Absolutely Disgusting, and I could care less if they're advocating on his behalf. I don't worship celebrities. This is a political stunt to normalize this behaviour/sick ideology.
Hmm...too bad he's banned. I was really curious which "behaviour/sick ideology" he meant: sending out seemingly drunk tweets with offensive content, or it becoming okay to dig through someone's online profile to come up with dirt that was said multiple years ago, ignoring and/or removing any context in which it was said and presented with a new context of "look at how perverse this guy is" ?

Seriously...this whole #metoo stuff is getting out of hand. Is this how the average career will look like from now on? :angry:

Board of directors: ah...thanks for coming. Steven...I think we've got a problem.
Steven (Spielberg): oh...what'll that be?
Board: well...let's start with that we love your work and that your last picture is a masterpiece, so.
Steven: yeah, yeah, yeah...what's the problem.
Board: well...I don't know how to say this, but...we've received word from a completely anonymous and therefore totally reliable source that...erm...
Steven: ...yes?
Board: ...that you've *ahem* apparently wet your pants in public.
Steven: WHAT????
Board: Steven...please be calm. We're still investigating how this information will impact your work on the latest movie, so...
Steven: what's that supposed to mean? My work was done last Tuesday? But what the hell kind of a bullshit story is this?
Boardmember: *quietly and worriedly slides a closed booklet over the table*
Steven: :blink: ...is this some kind of joke?
Board: ...but this IS you, isn't it?
Steven: I WAS THREE IN THAT PICTURE! :angry:
Board: yes...but unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact that, ahem, this new information impacts the reputation of the studio, Steven.
Steven: this "new information" is over fifty years old and totally irrelevant!
Board: unfortunately, that's not the case. Steven...if this picture goes viral, our next movie will flop. All it takes is one person to come up with, say, "Steven Pissberg", and it's over. Nobody will want to see the movie. People will stay away in droves.
Steven: ...because someone dug up a picture from YEARS ago?
Board: yes. I know you put your heart and soul into this, but we can't risk bringing it out with your name.
Steven: what??? I've worked nearly a year on this!
Board: don't worry. You're still getting paid the same. It's just...we would like it if, well...it was the name of your assistant instead of you. That way we don't take risks.
Steven: what? You want Charles's name instead of mine on that thing? People don't even know him!
Board: erm...no. Sorry. Charles got a speeding ticket in 2006. It won't clash well with the theme of "responsible parenting" that the movie has. It...ahem...we were thinking of Kathy.
Steven: Kathy? Kathy Ingstar? All she did on the movie was suggest the font of the ending credits!
Board: yes...but she has an impeccable track record on the media.
Steven: but...she never DOES anything! Just about every task I give her, she delegates to others! :ohnoes:
Board: exactly what I said: she has never done anything, so she has never done anything wrong!

Last edited by Taleweaver,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I don't condone these kinds of tweets, but at the same time they were clearly intended as jokes. They were obviously in poor taste, but at the same time humor is subjective. One person can easily look at these and find them funny for just how "edgy" they are, while another will get outraged over them.

Last edited by The Catboy,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, pedophilia aside, those are some pretty shitty jokes.

As for the guy, I don't think Disney will give him his job back. If there is one thing Disney cares about, it is their image. They care about their image more than they do about money. Disney will throw money at law suits to make them go away.

Last edited by Viri,

Alexdlz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico

As for the guy, I don't think Disney will give him his job back. If there is one thing Disney cares about, it is their image. They care about their image more than they do about money. Disney will throw money at law suits to make them go away.

Yet, they’ve hired people with a worse past.
https://www.google.com.mx/amp/s/pjm...nvicted-pedophiles-to-work-on-kids-shows/amp/

Edited: To add link.
Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Last edited by Alexdlz,

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I... fail to see any sign of pedophilia in these tweets? Sure they are pretty lame jokes, but firing somebody for lame sense of humor and label it as pedophilia is pretty fucked-up and proves again that Disney is controled by people that are not good for anything.

Oh well, another crap ruined by SJWs. Probably will replace him with some blue-haired landwhale that can't write a proper story and the franchise will bomb like always.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I... fail to see any sign of pedophilia in these tweets? Sure they are pretty lame jokes, but firing somebody for lame sense of humor and label it as pedophilia is pretty fucked-up and proves again that Disney is controled by people that are not good for anything.

Oh well, another crap ruined by SJWs. Probably will replace him with some blue-haired landwhale that can't write a proper story and the franchise will bomb like always.
That's just how Disney is. They would rather have a movie bomb, than having a guy who said questionable things in the past work for them, and have people talk about it. Disney also knows that people will forget all about this, and only the vocal minority will remember it when it comes time for the movie to release. They're a "family friendly" company, and they want to keep that image, lol.

image > money
When it comes to Disney.

Kigiru

Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's just how Disney is. They would rather have a movie bomb, than having a guy who said questionable things in the past work for them, and have people talk about it. Disney also knows that people will forget all about this, and only the vocal minority will remember it when it comes time for the movie to release. They're a "family friendly" company, and they want to keep that image, lol.

image > money
When it comes to Disney.

Welp, honestly their products bombing is actualy GOOD because sooner or later lack of profits will hit them and either they pedal back from this radical political movement or die in a horrible fashion.
Also, seeing how last two Star Wars movies were flat-out failures, it seems that people not supporting them are in-fact the majority. The only reason why this majority is not so visible outside of statistics is that they don't need to fiercely screech and insult people on Tweeter, they simply go away and stop paying Disney for mediocore products.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm...too bad he's banned. I was really curious which "behaviour/sick ideology" he meant: sending out seemingly drunk tweets with offensive content, or it becoming okay to dig through someone's online profile to come up with dirt that was said multiple years ago, ignoring and/or removing any context in which it was said and presented with a new context of "look at how perverse this guy is" ?

Seriously...this whole #metoo stuff is getting out of hand. Is this how the average career will look like from now on? :angry:

*Story
I know it might be cliche to say, but this sounds like a Black Mirror episode.

Considering the outrage, I think they still have a image to worry about.

I noticed when anything goes against what they think, some people will blame SJWs. In fact, I'm sure the OP will say or feel that the SJWs are the ones that are defending him.

Reactions: Taleweaver

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It definitely wasn't "SJWs" that dug the tweets up, although it was arguably someone who was trying to look like one to a populous that wasn't paying attention

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am obviously going to defend his right to make silly jokes and shake my head at him being dropped over them, and will similarly chastise the people that dredged them up -- while it is tempting to sink to the level of cunts and use their own strategies against them (I am told it was a strategy to highlight the silliness of it such a mindset) it is best to rise above such things.
However before I do all that I am going to have to pause for a second to smile and say "you reap what you sow".

I suppose the best I can hope for is it hurts Disney in the wallet (while Guardians was nothing I found especially good it was a cut above the usual Marvel fare) and they stop kowtowing to people that don't know what a joke is under the mistaken impression that they are in any way numerous or the ones opening up the wallet for it.

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to hear Miss Jessica Price on this firing. How is that possible? a MALE artist was fired over something he said on twitter???

~~
Nah but seriously, Twitter has become the inquisition and the new age witch hunt. This is -NEVER- a good thing in the long term.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2