Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It just seems like a way to discourage active discussion. If you dislike what somebody's said, you should say you dislike it, and what it is you dislike. If people can be mature enough as to disagree in a meaningful way, you then have people considering the alternate point of view etc. And then if people agree with that person disagreeing, they like their post. I don't really see a problem with the system we already have.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I dislike this suggestion. wish there was a button for me to show my dislike.
You can like it then unlike it, and post "I liked this just so I could unlike it", that gets the point across pretty well ;)
(I did that once, but it was for a profile post :P)

But honestly, I don't think a post like/dislike system serves much purpose on a moderated forum. It makes sense in places that aren't moderated much, so the users can self-moderate and shitposts will be hidden due to dislikes. That seems to work pretty well such places and people don't abuse it too much (or at least not enough to matter), but some of the GBAtemp community can be pretty toxic at times. And then you have people like Margen who likespammed everything, no doubt you'd get people doing the same with dislikes randomly, or just because they don't like someone. Maybe not enough people would do that for it to matter, but they just don't seem useful.

Reactions: CORE and Costello

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
One of the biggest and dumbest parts of Reddit is their like and dislike system (yeah yeah that's not what it's meant to be, but that's what it turned into immediately). It doesn't contribute even an ounce of anything to anything. There's no reason to publicly display dislike. No one cares.

We live in a time where people are far too infatuated by their own opinion. Either express it properly through text and further the discussion, or move on.

mikefor20

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buttons?..... Buttons?.......... We don't need no stinking buttons!!

Seriously though, we don't need a cry baby button. We have enough cry baby posts already. Imagine if they had a 1-click bitch button. All bad.

On second thought, it could result in something for the cry babies to do instead of cry baby posts? Then the adults could just ignore how many dislikes they get and not have to read as much B.S. garbage whiny posts like there usually is? Nah.. Probably just another reason to complain in the long run.

Last edited by mikefor20,
Reactions: Chary

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Anything that has a Like/Dislike button will be abused.
Look at places like Reddit and Youtube.
Trolls and meme kiddos just wage a war, disliking useful posts and mass liking shitposts/meme posts.

The Like/Dislike function was implemented with good intent, to bad 90% of the internet doesn't have the same good intent as the creators of the Like/Dislike button have.

No, a dislike button here will only cause even more drama.
One should like posts that are helpful and contributing to the community.
Not mass liking a stupid meme cus hurr hurr I r funneh.

Reactions: AtsuNii

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not only is there enough negativity on the internet as it is, we certainly don't need a tangible way of seeing what is disliked by everyone. A like/dislike ratio leads to different posting of content. Poeple do it for the likes, it splits opinions down the middle and leads to circle jerking, and rarely leading to meaningful discussion. As stated above, if you want that kind of degeneracy, you can head over to reddit.

While I am purple, I will never allow for a dislike button.

D

Deleted User

I agree with a lot of the replies. People may take dislikes on their post too personally, or not post due to the fear that it may be disliked.

Besides, isn't positivity better than negativity?

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
It works in another forum I frequent. It doesn't get abused because you only have a limited number per 24 hours (about 5) so you have to be selective with what you neg. It would be useful here if people saved their negs for when someone gives incorrect or dangerous advice in response to a question so they didn't have to reply to say so, but they'd probably just use it to neg people they don't like without considering what they actually wrote, so it wouldn't work or be useful. Plus, there are a lot of kids here, and you don't want newcomers to have a negative experience and never come back (newcomers would probably get a disproportionate amount of negs, since they're more likely to say something silly).

Song of storms

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I've always assumed that whoever put the like system in this forum meant it to show support for a post without useless and countless replies that said "this" or "agreed". If you dislike something, there's no reason for you not to reply on why you're disliking or disagreeing with the post. If someone thinks exactly like you, they can just like your post instead of OP's.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: lol, What are you buttering him up for? :tpi: