Hardware Disk speed problems

WeeBabyDoll

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Right, I have been trying to burn various games including Monster Hunter Tri, Fifa 2010 and South Africa WC but for some reason the disks will not play. I have been burning them on Tesco DVD-R (which I am under the impression are perfectly usable disks.)
Now, what I noticed with the disks are that they have x16 on the front of them, other disks I have that work are x8....what difference does this make?
I had Fifa 2010 before, it was one of the first games I burnt for my wii and it was on a DVD+R disk, which I binned when I found out they can destroy your laser. Like I said, other disks that are x8 work fine, just ones I burn onto the x16 disks wont work. Has anyone else had a problem like this? If so, were you able to find a solution?

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WeeBabyDoll said:
Right, I have been trying to burn various games including Monster Hunter Tri, Fifa 2010 and South Africa WC but for some reason the disks will not play. I have been burning them on Tesco DVD-R (which I am under the impression are perfectly usable disks.)
Now, what I noticed with the disks are that they have x16 on the front of them, other disks I have that work are x8....what difference does this make?
I had Fifa 2010 before, it was one of the first games I burnt for my wii and it was on a DVD+R disk, which I binned when I found out they can destroy your laser. Like I said, other disks that are x8 work fine, just ones I burn onto the x16 disks wont work. Has anyone else had a problem like this? If so, were you able to find a solution?

Didn't you already make a thread about this problem?

WeeBabyDoll

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well it was about playing the game and modding my wii, couldnt figure out what the problem was but I know now. And the thread was 11 pages long. The person who was helping me uses a USB and another person I was speaking to could use both kind of disks (exactly the same brand as me) and he was unsure of what the problem was. It was kind of the same problem, but now I know what is causing the problem and I want to see if anyone else knows about why this is. So no, I didn't.

WeeBabyDoll

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Looked around on google for a while, and found a few others who had the same problems - instead of writing the speed at 2x I halfed the discs maximum speed which was x16 (as said on the front of the disc) and wrote it at 8x instead....and it seems to work! Writing at 8x wont affect my wii in anyway will it??

EDIT : Forget what I just said - played 1 game and the f*cking error message 'Disc cannot be read please refer to your manual for details' came up and after mucking around with settings, I cant get past the loading screen. Woopee!!

Drummer16161616

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never had a problem with having to monkey around with disc speeds. I eventually gave up on discs after like 2 weeks and switched to USB loader GX which ended up being cheaper than buying DVDs. 50$ western digital passport 320GB will solve all ur problems. The MAIN problem with discs is that the drive couldn't read them fast enough and all the game videos would skip. That's why I abandoned it. My advice, switch to USB, it is AMAZING and you never have to get up. WBFS manager makes it easy as shit, and so does usb loader GX.

afnuke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, switch to usb.......if the game dont work(which is rare) just delete and youre out nothing. Burning games isnt perfect and dvd's have gotten more expensive. They have 500gb and 1 TB drives for under a 100 dollars now.

I just wanted to comment on the +r's destroy the laser. Thats a myth, theres no proof and the only way to actually hurt the laser is to have a disc thats scratched a lot and you will hear the drive reading a lot....that will wear out the drive a little faster.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: LOL