Homebrew [Discuss] N64 Emulator: Think the N3DS could handle it?

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Comparing the PSP and N3DS is rather meaningless. The PSP had a MiPS CPU (and ME, if you want to consider that), similar to the N64's architecture. The N3DS is running ARM. You'd be better off looking to N64 emulators on the Android for comparison. Even then, there's plenty of other factors that make this improbable. It's not impossible, but I dread thinking about how much work it would probably need.

Reactions: Foxi4

DutchyDutch

COPYRIGHT LOLOLOLOL
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is there any home console that used a ARM cpu or something similar? (Yes I know that ARM cpu's are mobile CPU's)

OmegaNexus_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it can actually, Most 3DS games have graphics comparable to the N64, (Pointing at you Prime for the 3DS) and we have roms already, So I think it's possible but will result in a crappy FPS emulation.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I think it can actually, Most 3DS games have graphics comparable to the N64, (Pointing at you Prime for the 3DS) and we have roms already, So I think it's possible but will result in a crappy FPS emulation.
This has nothing to do with the GPU though, the heavy lifting is done on the CPU. The New3DS has more than enough juice to pull it off, but on the O3DS I expect poor performance, PoC at most.

Reactions: link6155

_D1360_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I gave up to a n64 emu on 3ds. I use 3dscontroller app to run the pc emulator and xpadder. dolphin 4.0 works nice too ;)

heartgold

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This has nothing to do with the GPU though, the heavy lifting is done on the CPU. The New3DS has more than enough juice to pull it off, but on the O3DS I expect poor performance, PoC at most.
Off topic slightly. It's disappointing devs really haven't taken advantage of the N3ds. Instead what we got is ground up o3ds games with little to no optimisation for the N3ds. With NX handheld possibly replacing the n3ds next year, it's a shame to see nothing taking advantage of this system. But on the bright side I do look forward to the next handheld and to see what it offers.

Last edited by heartgold,

GalladeGuy

Cool and Epic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think we can all agree though, that if there even was an N64 emulator for the 3DS, it would probably run at like 10 fps.

I still want Mario 64 :(

MyJoyConRunsHot

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Last time i checked, the Wii was significantly more powerful than the New 3DS. I'm just not sure if the New 3DS can handle it!

I want Mario 64 :(
Nope, other way around.

Off topic slightly. It's disappointing devs really haven't taken advantage of the N3ds. Instead what we got is ground up o3ds games with little to no optimisation for the N3ds. With NX handheld possibly replacing the n3ds next year, it's a shame to see nothing taking advantage of this system. But on the bright side I do look forward to the next handheld and to see what it offers.
Am I the only one that saw the declared death of the Vita as the end of the relevance of handhelds this gen? Seems like ever since the flow of games to the Vita was slowed, the flow of games to the 3DS platform has as well. Though of course not to the same degree.

Last edited by MyJoyConRunsHot,

Hopalongtom

Trophies
XP
Country
As people have said in this thread before, it runs on a different cpu architecture, making it harder to pull off, power alone isn't enough! Sure to a very small barely playable degree it'll be possible, but there is alot of work from scratch that needs doing!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: good morning everyone