Homebrew Question Disable Internet (Child)

shattacrew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to disable internet on the switch completely? I have a son that will be using the switch but if he goes to his cousins or friends house I wouldn't want an older kid that knows about the internet to connect the device and get it updated or banned. Would be good if disabling airplane mode was behind parental lock.

shattacrew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw this. But this will only work for routers that you configure the setting for right? Like if he is at home on a known network that is preconfigured on the switch, it would be blocked. But if he connects to a new network it will grab the dns and connect to nintendo.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With parental controls turned on you can throw it in Airplane Mode and they won't be able to get out of it unless you put in your PIN code.

JonJaded

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Recommending Parental mode too. I'm not sure if it requires you have a ninty account connected to your switch in order to do it.

shattacrew

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, requiring nintendo account would be difficult, as this would mean I would have to connect to the internet and I am on 3.0.0 So I believe that might require the latest firmware. I Have full nand so its just a matter of getting pass this. Patched firmware files to me sound like the safest options but thats way beyond my skillset :)

SuzieJoeBob

NOT a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you really want to make sure he doesn't connect to the Internet, or even other consoles, you could always yank the BCM4356 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth SoC out of the motherboard. I can't guarantee that the system will still work or even turn on, but then you won't have to worry anymore!!!

In all seriousness, if your child is old enough, you could explain to your son that "if you update or go online with the console, your games won't work anymore." That's the explanation that I used for the PS Vita and the ones that understood that statement/lie never did; the ones that did told me they never played online or updated, but I saw Wi-Fi connection settings set up.

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I saw this. But this will only work for routers that you configure the setting for right? Like if he is at home on a known network that is preconfigured on the switch, it would be blocked. But if he connects to a new network it will grab the dns and connect to nintendo.

No, the setting is on the Switch's side, it should work on all routers.

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
No, the setting is on the Switch's side, it should work on all routers.
Yeah it's on the switch's side, but it has to be configured manually for every time you connect to a new network (the dns settings are per network connection, not the same for everything). If you don't do that then you get automatic dns and then you get boned by Nintendo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Welcome to the internet! Lol