darkfoxtokoyami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys,

Basically I'm a college student and I use my Wii mostly for playing Smash Bros Brawl. The issue is that because the Wii is moving around constantly, it's difficult to keep track of the wiimotes and keep fresh batteries in them. Is there a way (preferably without modchips) that my Wii can boot directly into a (legit) game disc?

I've poked around the forums and cIOS looks promising, but I could use someone to just point me in the right direction.

Thanks,
Dark Fox

FenrirWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you can do is downgrade your Wii to version 3.2 and install an application called Starfall that patches your system menu with various hacks. Among those hacks are a patch to enable a recovery menu when you boot up the Wii while holding the Y button on your GCN controller, and another hack offered by the same app is one that will autoboot whatever Wii game is in your console while in this recovery menu. It also has an update blocking feature so games won't try to make you upgrade back to 3.4.

Anyway, in the end all you have to do is start up your Wii and hold Y on the GCN controller in the player 1 slot and then Brawl will boot itself up shortly thereafter.

I'd imagine Preloader can offer the same functionality, but I've never messed with that and so someone else would have to give you the details.

MicShadow

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There is the starfall hacks/special hacks (On AnyRegion Changer Mod 5) that allow games to be loaded while holding Y on startup. Perhaps look into that?

And also, Id like to see an automatic solution as well. A preloader feature maybe?

Also preloader could be set to autoload a dol, that autoloads a disc if present

Just search preloader and starfall for more info

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can boot both Wii and Gamecube games without using a Wiimote.

It requires Preloader, the Homebrew Channel, and both the Wii and Gamecube backup launchers on the SD card.

Turn on the Wii and hold reset. Use the Gamecube controller to select "Homebrew Channel."

The homebrew channel is now loaded.

L or R will flip the pages, but if you wish to launch Brawl, use the Wii backup launcher, and if you wish to launch a Gamecube game, use the Gamecube backup launcher.

You are able to launch official retail discs through these loaders.

No Wiimote is required when wanting to play a disc-based game.

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wow I never tought the lazyness get soooooo far, two A button pressing more, really..??
wtf.gif

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
Wow I never tought the lazyness get soooooo far, two A button pressing more, really..??
wtf.gif

Its not being lazy. Its when the only controller you have working is a Gamecube controller.

How is getting up from the couch and turning on the Wii while holding in the Reset Button, going to the Homebrew Channel, and finally selecting the backup launcher being lazy?

Its actually MORE work than it is to just press A (3 times actually).

Being Lazy = doing less work.

D

Deleted User

Then he should really add the information about playing SSBB using GC Controller.

Needless to say, less information goes to misunderstanding.

So next time TC, say why do you want to do that, this etc.

Tichinde925

Marth Ditto Money Match?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
afif95 said:
Then he should really add the information about playing SSBB using GC Controller.

Needless to say, less information goes to misunderstanding.

So next time TC, say why do you want to do that, this etc.

He did though, he stated that he wanted to boot Wii games without the use of a Wiimote as the topic title states: Directly Booting Wii Games, Not having to use a wiimote to start a Wii game

Meaning, the only controller that would be used logically would be a Gamecube controller as everything else on the Wii uses the Wiimote. (Excluding USB Instruments but since he talked about "SSBB", then logically, a Gamecube controller would be used).

All the information has already been supplied in this topic.

roku93

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Starfall is definitely the simplest solution, don't bother even googling preloader. It slows down the boot up process, and then you have to find a hacks.ini somewhere and it's just more hassle...

If you're not going to be using any homebrew, just put the twilight hack (google) for your region on the SD card and starfall installer as boot.dol on to the root of the SD card. Boot up Twilight Princess, take a step backward, wait for text to stop scrolling and you should be at the starfall installer. Do as instructed on the screen and apply "Start rescue-menu when Y is held on 1st GC controller" and "Remove rescue-menu diagnostic disc check" hacks and you are good to go. Google for problems.

Blue-K

No right of appeal.
Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
How I would do it...:

1)Install Preloader
2)Get a Forwarder.dol or something like that here...
3)Install it
4)Place a boot.dol on the root of SD
5)Like one of these: libwiigameload, GCBooter (Maybe...Auto-Boot Softchip, Auto-Boot Gamma, etc...)

Should work fine...Lazyness rules!!!
tongue.gif

darkfoxtokoyami

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SOLVED:

The resources I needed to solve this included my laptop, an SD card, a legit copy of Twilight Princess, and a wireless (wifi) internet connection.
  • First, I used the Twilight Princess exploit to install the homebrew channel onto my Wii.
  • I had the 3.3U firmware installed on my Wii. I followed this guide to downgrade to 3.2U:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUiHK4-LNlA
QUOTE said:
MANY PEOPLE ARE MESSING UP BY NOT FOLLOWING EVERY STEP!
FOLLOW ALL OF THEM EXACTLY AS THEY ARE!

Note that the best firmware for Homebrew is 3.2

First of all, you will need to install the Homebrew Channel (HBC)
----------------------------------------
If you need help installing the homebrew channel, refer to Nito711's vid response Or use the twilight hack.
---------------------------------------

DOWNGRADING WITH 3.3v3 OR 3.4
I added some new links.

After the HBC is installed on your Wii, delete everything on the card.

Step 1 - Download these files:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8OF7W3BP

Step 2 - Extract the wii downgrade.rar and drag the "apps" and "wad" folder on the SD card.

Step 3 - Using the Homebrew Channel, open WAD Manager 1.3

Step 4 - Press A on the Wii Mote once. The Wii should detect a SD Card. Press A again to see a list of WADs on the SD Card. Use the D-Pad to select IOS16-64-v257-prod.wad. Press the + to install the WAD. Once it has installed the WAD, press the Home button to restart you Wii.

Step 5 - Using the Homebrew Channel, open Custom WM. Now using the same method as in Step 4, install the cios_fix.wad. Once it has installed the WAD, press the Home button to restart you Wii.

Note: If that fails to install, just use 'Wad Manager 1.3'

Step 6 - Using the Homebrew Channel, open IOS Downgrader. Just follow the instructions and wait until it finishes installing the necessary IOSs.

NOTE: You're Wii does require connection to the Internet otherwise it won't work. Same for the next step.
If you do have a Internet connection and you get errors while it's installing the IOSs, just restart the Wii and try again.

Step 7 - Using the Homebrew Channel, open Install Shop IOS51. Say Yes to installing the IOS51 and Yes to patching a fix but No to the Wii Shop Channel (it shouldnt matter if you install but it wont make any difference).

Step 8 - Using the Homebrew Channel, open WAD Manager 3.

Step 9 - Now you should be able to install WADs. Try installing the WAD MANAGER V3.wad

Step 10 - Downgrade to 3.2 or whatever firmware you want. Make sure you choose the right region or you will semi-brick your Wii. (U = USA, E = Europe, J = Japan)
Use this file with the HBC to downgrade. Make sure you put it in a folder in the 'apps' folder.
You can also use AyRegion Changer to downgrade.

Your Wii is now downgraded!
Please note that installing this exploits can potentially brick the system.

Thanks,
Fox

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Materia_tofu @ Materia_tofu: this is true! i learned how to make soundfont remixes from a friend back in 2021 +1