Homebrew DIOS MIOS Compatibility with large 4K sector drives

bostonBC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I was wondering if there was any chance of getting DIOS MIOS to work with the newer 4K low level sector drives. I know the current version only works with 512 byte sector drives and not the new advanced format drives.

I have a 3 and 4TB Seagate that have 4K sectors and DIOS MIOS (2.10 real nand) only works with my smaller 512 byte sector drives.

Thanks!

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't think there's any chance. The sector size is hardcoded, if it was changed to 4K then the 512b ones wouldn't work, and the 4K change itself would likely need a lot of other modifications too (some people tried changing the raw value in the header and it did not run).

DIOS MIOS is done in GC mode which means way cut-back RAM and other resources.

The simplest thing to do is use a smaller drive for use with DIOS MIOS. There's somebody else on the forums that's been hunting down 512b ~3TB or so drives for a while and keeps coming up empty-handed. Don't waste your time, just get a smaller drive. 1TB and less should be safe.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Dios_Mios_HDD_Compatibility_List
(It's a small list, the main USB loader list is much larger but also has drives that are too big.)
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List

Crediar's new project, Nintendont, however, aims to run GC games in Wii mode, which means better drive support might be possible... but it'll likely be a long time before it's released.

bostonBC

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the info. I have all my Wii and emu games on a 3 and a 4TB drive and would love to be able to run GC games from there as well and not have to juggle a separate disk.

I've pulled down the source and may play with it a bit.

Looking forward to Nintendont :)

Appreciate the super quick reply.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Also the wood ui for twl menu is back... +2