Dingoo Digital USA Prototype System

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Rydian said:
A new system like this will need proper N64/PSX emulation to stand out.

If they do that people could swamp them. If not most people won't see anything special.

The customer base that wants portable N64 emulation is quite a bit larger than the base that wants portable CPS2. If this thing could emulate N64/PSX it could be advertised outside of the range of homebrew and emulation enthusiasts. Walk up to some random gamer in his 20s or so, pull a system out of your pocket that plays N64 games flawlessly, and you'll blow his mind.

I agree with you on that, this console needs to have something to stand out from the rest: its nice to have better specs but if you dont do anything with them, whats the point?
a PSX emulator for starters would be awesome, now a n64 one seems a bit far fetched, Im not sure... but yeah. If it does that, it's a hit.

also, the specs didnt mention connectivity, but the last sentences talks about Wifi... what about that?
will it have a Wifi chip? it would be quite nice too!

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
the dual core cpu and separate vpu mean that 1 cpu can be using the vpu for 3d graphics while the other is busy. so i wouldn't count out things like psx/n64 emulation but i wouldn't expect a simple port to do the trick.

-another world

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Costello said:
a PSX emulator for starters would be awesome, now a n64 one seems a bit far fetched, Im not sure... but yeah. If it does that, it's a hit.
The PSP can currently emulate Super Mario 64 (with sound) at ~95% speed with minor graphical glitches (and Zelda 64 is playable to completion but drops down to ~60% at times), with a system such as this a dedicated team should be quite capable of getting most games 80-90% (it should be a main focus as it'd be a huge selling point).

I really hope they do this, if they don't go above the SNES-level then there's no real reason to go for this, it's just "another GP2X" in the mind of the common person.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've always been curious about the Dingoo devices. But this seems like its ready to take the cake and run with it.

So, with those specs, Rydian, if the PSP could somewhat handle SM64 pretty good, do u think this piece of hardware could handle PSP emulation?

popoffka

Trophies
Website
popoffka.ru
XP
Country
It's not 800x480, it's actually 480x272 (http://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-systems/new-console-in-prototype-stage/), and that's a damn strange resolution, actually.
I don't like this thing. Camera is not useful at all, and nobody needs a dual-core CPU for portable emulation.

Javacat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My thoughts!

The chances of this emulating the N64 are from slim to zero. PSX, on the other hand, should be doable.

The second core in this will also be almost as useful as the second core in the GP2X.

The camera will be one of the crappy chinese MP4 player cameras and will suck.

Still... I've got a lot more faith in this than the Pandora, but I'll just be buying an GA330 for now.

Edit: ^^^ DDU changed his mind regarding the screen and has gone with a 800x480 screen http://boards.dingoonity.org/other-game-sy...24356/#msg24356

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Another World said:
these systems are geared towards retro emulation which would not benefit from a touch screen. what is your argument?

-another world
SCUMM VM.

By gearing them towards retro emulation, they're limiting themselves to a relatively small target market. A touch screen module would cost them an additional $2 but would open up a lot of options for homebrew.

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Costello said:
The PSP can currently emulate Super Mario 64 (with sound) at ~95% speed with minor graphical glitches (and Zelda 64 is playable to completion but drops down to ~60% at times), with a system such as this a dedicated team should be quite capable of getting most games 80-90% (it should be a main focus as it'd be a huge selling point).

I really hope they do this, if they don't go above the SNES-level then there's no real reason to go for this, it's just "another GP2X" in the mind of the common person.
There's a reason the PSP can apparently do N64 to at least some degree of success, and it's because the CPU architecture of the N64 and PSP are nearly identical. The N64 and PSP both use R4000-series CPUs, with similar instruction sets. This allows the use of hardware in many instances that software emulation would otherwise be necessary.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
According to the developer guy himself:
QUOTE said:
As for the 128MB the memory is not really the issue it's the processor and I don't see a 32Bit processor emulating a 64Bit processor for 64Bit as that would be double emulation one emulating the N64 and emulating the 64bit processor. I really doubt N64 will be possible but PSX is possible.

murkurie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This seems pretty cool, but I think it still more of a novelty. I think if they want to success then they need to basically make something like a pandora. but then the price would be high, but I think people would pay for n64 and PSX emulation.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
N64 games didn't use the 64-bit instructions (at least I'm not aware of any that do) because 32-bit ones were faster and still good enough for what it was capable of pushing graphically. While there are probably some 64-bit instructions inherent in the system (Idunno', maybe when booting or something) there must be some easy way to circumvent those (or just emulating those and having the system run at

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
N64 games didn't use the 64-bit instructions (at least I'm not aware of any that do) because 32-bit ones were faster and still good enough for what it was capable of pushing graphically. While there are probably some 64-bit instructions inherent in the system (Idunno', maybe when booting or something) there must be some easy way to circumvent those (or just emulating those and having the system run at

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure exactly how it's done, but the last part of my post is the important one. If I can play Mario Kart 64 (slowly) on a windows 98 machine in PJ64, then 64-bit instructions must not be much of an issue.

They may show up in a few games, however it can't be nearly as much of a deal as it sounds to be.

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another World said:
Pippin666 said:
Need touchscreen.

Pip'

these systems are geared towards retro emulation which would not benefit from a touch screen. what is your argument?

-another world

Retro computer emulation begs for a touch screen keyboard and touch screen mouse input on a system that lacks them. My PSP is more powerful than the DS, but I use the DS anyway for C=64 emulation because of the touch screen keyboard for example. And for those who suggest using a note/netbook... They don't fit in the breast pocket of my coat and a PSP or DS(i) does.

Ditch the D-pad and install a micro switched thumb stick like on the NeoGeo Pocket and run UAE at at least standard 68000 ECS machine speeds, I'm sold.

Knyaz Vladimir

3DS Hacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
KidIce said:
Another World said:
Pippin666 said:
Need touchscreen.

Pip'

-another world

Retro computer emulation begs for a touch screen keyboard and touch screen mouse input on a system that lacks them. My PSP is more powerful than the DS, but I use the DS anyway for C=64 emulation because of the touch screen keyboard for example. And for those who suggest using a note/netbook... They don't fit in the breast pocket of my coat and a PSP or DS(i) does.

Ditch the D-pad and install a micro switched thumb stick like on the NeoGeo Pocket and run UAE at at least standard 68000 ECS machine speeds, I'm sold.
How about a cheap keyboard periphial from a failed phone? Nearly no space, fits in your pocket, and sucks just like the A320.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Only thing you catch are STDs.