Dilemma..

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Shadowhunta, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Shadowhunta
    OP

Shadowhunta GBAtemp Regular

Aug 1, 2006
    Hants
    Okay..i have a dilemma..
    I currently own a red 3DS XL in mint condition on 4.5 FW (never been upgraded) I use it with a GW on emunand 9.2 (currently)..I am very tempted to get a New 3DS XL, but to do this i would need to trade in/sell my current setup, i have a spare GW card so selling it with that is not a problem.
    My questions is this...
    Do i sell/ trade in my current setup, use the money to buy an N3DS XL and buy a sky 3ds until the GW becomes usable on the N3DS?

Keep my current setup as the upgrade is minor?

Any thoughts would be appreciated :)

2. Maximilious

Maximilious GBAtemp Addict

Nov 21, 2014
    United States
    Well, most of the N3DS's being bought now are being reported as 9.4+. Unless you get really luck and find a store with a batch from the 13th or cancelled pre-orders your chances are slim for a <9.2 N3DS console. I'd hang on to your current XL at this point.

3. ucta

ucta custom title=0

Jan 15, 2015
    Serbia, Republic of
    Really depends on your budget and your needs ) just think of any pros and cons for you

4. Shadowhunta
    OP

Aug 1, 2006
    Hants
    Well, i LOVE the 3D element, so the improved 3D would be an advantage, aside from that, i'm not 100% sure anything else is there to tempt me :/

5. Shadowhunta
    OP

Aug 1, 2006
    Hants

I thought the SKY 3DS worked on the N3DS on current FW?

6. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    The fact that your current XL is on 4.5 is moot and ads no value any longer. What is it you think you can get for a used XL and gateway? I wouldn't pay more than $75 for a used XL and maybe $25 for a used gateway. No matter how well you take care of them they still wear.

7. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    well atm there isn't much there to compel people to update from a standard 3DS, but down the line it seems <9.2 n3DS consoles will be tricky to find, only the very first batches seem to be 8.1-9.2, intact even some of the first batches came with 9.4, so in terms of future value 9.2 or lower n3DS consoles may increase similar to the 4.x hunt for 3DS XL's....assuming gateway ever reach this fabled "soon"

8. Maximilious

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

It does but you mentioned you use GW in your initial post and want to use it on the new unit........

9. Shadowhunta
    OP

Aug 1, 2006
    Hants

Here in the UK the XL's still go for £100+ in good condition, and the gateways go for £35...

10. Shadowhunta
    OP

Aug 1, 2006
    Hants

Here in the UK the XL's still go for £100+ in good condition, and the gateways go for £35...

11. Shadowhunta
    OP

Aug 1, 2006
    Hants

I have two GW, i don't mind selling one to make up funds for the sky3ds and N3DS

12. Maximilious

Nov 21, 2014
    United States

Ah, missed that in your initial post, I see it now. Still the chances of a 9.2 or lower N3DS system is looking grim. If you like emuNAND and playing online roms I'd stick with the XL you have now.

13. TehLexinator

TehLexinator GBAtemp Regular

Jun 1, 2009
    United States
    Wow.... What nonsense.

I just sold my used Gateway for $50 and the guy threw in 3 games since he would no longer need them.
    Don't use eBay, use Craigslist. Make a catchy title and offer help in ensuring everything will work for the buyer.

I had 2 good offers and about 9 lame ones within minutes of posting my ad.
    There was also a posting selling a 4.5 O3DS XL. It is no longer there. The asking price was $250.

Back on topic.
    It's up to you what to do. I sold my Gateway, kept my O3DS because of the firmware on it.

I already preordered Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, and LOVE playing Smash where I actually have a menu, etc.
    On the O3DS the damn thing constantly rebooted my system out of emunand.

The new 3d is soooooo much better and the extra buttons make the stupid Pro addon irrelevant.

Sky is great so far. It does exactly what I need it to do.

Not sure if that's worth an update for you, but for me it was.

Random Joe and Shadowhunta like this.
  14. Shadowhunta
    OP

Aug 1, 2006
    Hants

Fair enough, not really fussed about playing online after recent news of bannings tbh.

15. TehLexinator

Jun 1, 2009
    United States
    With the tool that Foxi4 released, playing online should not be a problem. For Sky users anyway.

16. _v3

_v3 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 12, 2013
    Croatia
    I was thinking of selling my 3ds xl before i bought the new 3ds but in the end I decided to keep it, you never know when you might need a spare 3ds. And besides, you'd get 100$ for a trade in, not worth it IMO. Save up some cash and buy a second unit.

17. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    My opinion on the value I place on used electronics is nonsense? Whatever.

TehLexinator likes this.
  18. TehLexinator

Jun 1, 2009
    United States
    Good point. Value is in the eye of the beholder. Plenty of people on craigslist looking for 4.5 3DS and Gateways they can use right now.

Right now costs extra, as it should.

thorasgar likes this.
  19. burs

burs Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 16, 2015
    My mrs new N3ds xl came will v9.0. She is still using her old 3ds as waiting to see if Gateway or her current r4i 3ds card gets sorted. Atm her new one is still in the box gathering dust!

20. thorasgar

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    Why
    why should a 4.x console cost any extra than an 8.x? You don't even need to own a gateway to downgrade.

You are right value is in the eve of the beholder. It astounds me the o3Ds XL OS still selling for $175 new.