Gaming Digital or Physical games?

NEO-BAHAMUT-

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
A question that’s been asked before but what do you do prefer? I’ve seen the latest news from Nintendo that they will be shutting the Eshop down for 3DS users, which means that if you don’t download your digital games you will lose them.

Goku1992A

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Always physical I like the box art an etc...

also a side question were you ever named bahamutlord on PSX-Scene? Sorry for the raondom ? I remember a person simlar to yourname

Reactions: AchtungACTBaby

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Depending on the price, DRM (I find most physical PC games have account based DRM anyway), etc. I typically prefer physical.

This is mainly console these days but I typically still find physical cheaper and don't have to worry as much about account, service or internet issues.

The only exception to the rule may be in the case of a cross buy title e.g. Xbox/PC.

Reactions: x65943

NitroTears

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Always physical I like the box art an etc...
Yup, I'm exactly the same. Box arts and covers sitting on my shelf always look awesome to me.

I will prefer digital games only if no physical option exists or if the price is greatly cheaper the the physical option, which seems to be case with indies on switch.

Reactions: MasterJ360

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
A question that’s been asked before but what do you do prefer? I’ve seen the latest news from Nintendo that they will be shutting the Eshop down for 3DS users, which means that if you don’t download your digital games you will lose them.
They are shutting the eShop down for certain countries, not globally (yet)

Stealphie

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I honestly think it will be quite a bit longer before the rest of the world starts to lose the eshop, since those countries appeared to have a limited version of the eshop.
yeah i guess. I'm hoping all of the eShop games get dumped before the eventual shutdown.

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Physical

Serious question: is physical even an option for PC games any more?

Yes but from my experience they're either lower end titles or just provides codes e.g. Doom Eternal provides a Bethesda account code.

So the only real reason to buy is price/boxart/collectors edition.

Last edited by tech3475,
Reactions: x65943

RichardTheKing

Honestly XC2>XC3...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Both, really.

Physical carts meant I could easily and quickly swap between consoles, if necessary; for example, I've had several 3DS units (due to fragile Circle Pads, my one main flaw with the handheld), and can easily continue where I left off without needing to repurchase or redownload much of anything (aside from DLC, anyway). Also made trading in Pokemon games, back when they were worth purchasing, possible.
Though save data management is seemingly different, with the Switch; I don't think it's saved on the cart anymore, unlike the DS and 3DS, since all data management has to be done through the system settings rather than in-game. Therefore,

Digital, however, means I don't have to keep track of small, tangible objects, which is not always easy.

micp

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I prefer physical because it reminds me of being a kid and opening a new game and putting the case on my bookshelf.

I know a lot of younger people though who have no interest in that and are more than happy with digital copies.

Reactions: MonMonz

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Physical, all the way.
I however am a lazy butt and dumps them and install them since... ugh lift my butt off the sofa to switch game? What is this? 1994?

phonz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Almost always digital these days - I can share my game library with my friends so they don't have to buy the game to play multiplayer (in most cases).
I find alot more sales on digital games (except Nintendo, though they happen but not nearly as discounted).
I also like saving physical space for things that are important. If I owned a physical copy of 2000+ games I own digitally I wouldn't know where to keep them.

Probably the only time I go back to physical is when there is a steep sale or a really nice collectors edition.

Sharing my digital libraries and playing simultaneously with friends and family is probably my top priority for digital though.

Last edited by phonz,
Reactions: linuxares

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You have to understand the difference. They are the same things but a several difference:

Both are released the same games
eShop add more space to your internal Nintendo Switch System.
Some eShop dont released in Physical game at all
Physical box are perfect for people who are collectors
Some physical boxes are limited edition!!

I will get some eShop if it is great game and isn't available in physical at all but I prefer physical cards overall!

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Almost always digital these days - I can share my game library with my friends so they don't have to buy the game to play multiplayer (in most cases).
I find alot more sales on digital games (except Nintendo, though they happen but not nearly as discounted).
I also like saving physical space for things that are important. If I owned a physical copy of 2000+ games I own digitally I wouldn't know where to keep them.

Probably the only time I go back to physical is when there is a steep sale or a really nice collectors edition.

Sharing my digital libraries and playing simultaneously with friends and family is probably my top priority for digital though.
I wish all the stores (digital once) allowed sharing someway or the other. Heck even if it's like for 72 hours for a certain game or such. Hell maybe even give a discount and the person might want to buy it instead?

Reactions: phonz

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Physical games until the day I can trade around downloaded games with as much ease.

But I will however hack the console, and those of all my friends, and use it to play a copy of those physical games.

HLayton

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm usually all for physical games, but if I see a great deal on digital I'll go for it. Animal Crossing was the first game I voluntarily chose digital over physical, but that's just because I know that'll be a game I'll play for 20 mins then not again till the next day!

RookieKid

Trophies
XP
Country
physical games always, unless digital is the only option, I feel kinda irritated that so many games on the Switch are only digital.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I did use a bot for Diablo III though but no ban there lol