Digital downloads vs. physical copies of games - which do you prefer?

digitalphysical.jpg

Buying a game is easy and it's getting easier - but the age old question remains - digital or physical?

When it comes to purchasing a game, given the choice, should you opt to buy a physical copy of a game or purchase it digitally for an instant download? What are the pros and cons of each? Does it make a difference?

While digital games are no doubt the more convenient option, that "purchase" comes with an enormous amount of fragility attached to it. What if the publisher revokes the game from the storefront? What if the game is has DRM that can affect performance? Is the purchase even a true purchase or is it a lease of a service? Let's not forget that all too often we're seeing games removed from digital store fronts due to licensing arrangements. We've even seen games being changed at a moments notice with soundtracks being edited, or replaced entirely, as rights expire. And what of service games - they can be shutdown remotely if the game underperforms rendering the game unplayable.

Then you have physical media. While unlike days past, even physical media can carry some questions when its merits. Day one patches that prevent you from playing the game without updating the title; disc-based consoles cost more; mandatory internet connections or account registration can be a thing; and what of the environmental impact? And let's not forget that inevitable disc rot!

Publishers are even thinking up ways to make physical ownership less attractive - you only need to look at the plans by Microsoft during the initial Xbox One reveal where physical disks, once used on a console were then digitally tied to that system and unable to be traded or resold without going through hoops and paying a premium to do so.

At the end of the day - does it even matter? Should video game ownership and preservation be a concern for the average player or should the purchase be seen as the equivalent of a theme park ticket - a temporary thrill with no regard for the future?

And what of piracy? Is there a merit and legitimacy to breaking DRM and illegally copying games when it comes to video game preservation?

Let us know your thoughts below.

_TheGuy_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Digital. Before it used to all be physical, but then a situation arose where all my game discs were tossed out. Digital adds more convenience since my newest system rn is a Switch, and I'm not too worried about servers shutting down or games becoming unavailable to play. Really, I don't care. It's not like I'm hoarding the entire library. A couple games lost is no issue to me.

The only time I get physical copies now are if I really, really love the game, or the rare occasion a physical is somehow cheaper than digital.

DeadPixelMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always buy physical in every and any situation that allows it. Even if that means buying from limited run, Asia version or anyone obscure option. The absolute only time I buy digital is when there is NO other option, then later on if there ends up being a physical version then I buy that as well.

Willgheminass

The Ultimate Pink Lurker
Trophies
Website
rhylnzux.carrd.co
XP
Country
United States
I like both, at the very least I'd like to have a digital copy that I can hold onto by saving it to my PC, or my NAS, on a disk, or wherever, and I also like the charm and the benefits of having a physical copy that I may wish to sell/trade/give away to someone else if I happen to either finish it, or don't like it, and anyone will be able to pick it up and smack it into a console to play. That means having a big ROM collection saved somewhere locally like my house would suffice for me. When I purchase a game, I expect the revenue to go to the developers and I get to have a copy of the game that I can use however and whenever I want on my own PC or devices and have a copy of it available at any time in case I want to free up storage space or to be able to play it in the future. Sites like GOG helps with this. As for when a game falls out of relevancy due to age or whatever, and/or there isn't any legitimate way to play it, I expect there to be an archive for anyone to access so that those same games can be enjoyed again for current/future generations. Besides that, I feel more willing to pay for indie games than for AAA games because I know for sure AAA devs will get paid anyways, and that indie devs will need all the help they can get.

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Physical even tho they are useless sometimes because companies and their day one "laziness" massive patches, incomplete (e.g capcom) or DRM protected. But at least the game is not 100% buried on a server on a account, only maybe 90% and i get a decoration.
Also special editions are nice.

Teletron1

Space Tech Engineer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wow todays games physically are still a some what beta version being shipped out with bugs and even game broken bugs so what happens later on when you can't get and update :sad: then you have the bull $hit that Nintendo pulls with its games some being a part of the game and the rest needing to be downloaded .. pretty sad to see what has happened the last two generations

So far I buy physical games that I want to collect but

Sony I buy first party games on disc
Nintendo I buy first party and rare games physical I don't really trust Nintendo because they always find away to not transfer sales to a new console

Xbox is my main digital collection because Microsoft is a company that is well invested in tons of companies generating tons of money so they are not going anywhere ,they are also trying to incorporate a Movies Anywhere Right where you buy the game once and its good across systems , the other thing is you can find digital codes from other regions for up to 90% off

:yay: it's amazing how much old games have shot up in price since covid

BraveDragonWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why go through the trouble of having physical copies? I l know the artwork is neat and everything don't get me wrong.
You'd have to worry about the disc getting scratched. Waste time swapping games.

Hey, I still have my N64 since I was born and I still play it!

Reactions: KiiWii

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I love both but with reasons.

but for Nintendo stuff is mainly Physical. for Sony its bit of both. for Microsoft its Digital.
100% this.

I physically own all first party Switch games, but on PS4/PS5 it’s a mixture of digital and physical, but more digital… For some reason I don’t see any value in collecting Xbox/ps games physically. Whereas Switch games hold their value or appreciate in value because they’re like rocking horse shit to find..

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With older consoles there was always a reason to have the physical copy.

But seeing when gamers Nexus ended up getting a hold of a dev kit for a series x, and seeing it somehow banned them from even being able to read their physical games? Or how Nintendo can ban physical game cards?

Just feels like level 9999 spite.

Reactions: Snintendog

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
physical all the way.

Steam and GOG are my only options for PC since I can only get old games/Bootlegs on Disk now.

At least Steam and GOG are better than Epic the malware in a can. Origin where games go to dissapear the moment a license expires. Battlenet 6 games with none of them appealing to me. and UBisoft where you dont own games.

Super.Nova

Trophies
XP
Country
Saudi Arabia
Physical copies are definitely better and especially if you like to share games with friends.
Digital copies "should" be cheaper since they forego the costs of physical copies but screw you as a customer, and the only advantage they have is availability time since you can download them once made available.

Reactions: Snintendog

ccfman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With older consoles there was always a reason to have the physical copy.

But seeing when gamers Nexus ended up getting a hold of a dev kit for a series x, and seeing it somehow banned them from even being able to read their physical games? Or how Nintendo can ban physical game cards?

Just feels like level 9999 spite.
Dev kits these days are just a license and if you don't pay they block your dev kit.

Zonark

Zonark - Noun - A God
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I’m personally starting to go more digital but a physical copy is what I really want. It’s worth it to me to physically hold something and see it

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
physical only, if a game doesnt have a physical i dont buy it.

the only exceptions is for online only multiplayer games, since it doesnt matter if there is a physical because the games only run online with servers anyway like counter strike go and such.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!