Digital Battlefield: No Steam Release For BF3?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by coolness, Jul 11, 2011.

Jul 11, 2011
  1. coolness
    OP

Banned coolness PSN: Dutch_DarkLord

Netherlands
    Source

2. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Nice way to compete against Steam, me likey [​IMG]

3. moose3

Member moose3 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's just EA/Origin trying to have a digital pissing match with Valve/Steam because they think they can get more money by keeping it off Steam.

EA occasionally will have 'sales' for games at 50% off max that lasts a few hours and if you see the announcement on their page/ Face book update. You may get 50% off but they have no middle man as you buy direct so they get the production costs as well as the middle man markup.

Steam moves a shit ton of software. Steam will discount the games anywhere from 33% to 75+% in sales lasting anywhere from a day to an entire week. Money is made on volume of product moved, but since it is all digital, it's not like a game is wasting unused shelf/warehouse space in the first place.

In the end, EA/Origin thinks they will make more money selling fewer games keeping more profit per game with it not being on Steam than selling more games with less profit per game by having Steam also release it.

Either way I could honestly care less as I'll wait till a game gets sub $10 before I buy it no matter who sells it unless I play through the huge backlog of games I have bought off Steam already, though BF3 is not one of the 3 EA games I have an interest in (Mass Effect 3, Bulletstorm, DA1:Ultimate Ed)

Bottom line: companies want our money and some want all they can squeeze out of us.

Steam has figured out how to get my money. EA doesn't seem as interested.

4. Slyakin

Member Slyakin See ya suckers

United States
    Nooooooo- Oh, wait. My computer can't handle that stuff anyways.

But that still sucks... Now it will always be 60 bucks.

5. machomuu

Member machomuu Drops by occasionally

United States
    Knowing EA, it could be more.

Worst part is, I'm only half joking.

6. Eckin

Member Eckin GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    I would have to wait anyway if it did get a Steam release (for a sale), so whatever as long as it does get a Steam release. However I may buy it for PS3 if I end up buying one later this year.

Hell, I think I have more than 40 games I still need to finish on Steam thanks to all those sales they keep throwing at me, so I really don't need to get BF3 day 1 (yes, I don't think I'll be able to finish everything before October)