Different screen brightness ?

Huex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You should get the HWCAL files of the screen you swapped.
Yes, I have to find the HWCAL of a new 2ds xl with a top IPS screen but I can't find that... That's why the only thing I can do is lower the bottom screen brightness to balance the brightness with the swapped and dim top screen

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes, I have to find the HWCAL of a new 2ds xl with a top IPS screen but I can't find that... That's why the only thing I can do is lower the bottom screen brightness to balance the brightness with the swapped and dim top screen
I guess you'll have to ask someone who owns a top IPS unit.
I didn't think they even made IPS screens for the 2DS XL.

Huex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I guess you'll have to ask someone who owns a top IPS unit.
I didn't think they even made IPS screens for the 2DS XL.
Yes that’s the problem, I don’t know anyone who owns one and don’t think someone on internet will give one. I bought the new screen on AliExpress without knowing the screen type. And on the 3ds informations, it appears to be an IPS screen.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes that’s the problem, I don’t know anyone who owns one and don’t think someone on internet will give one. I bought the new screen on AliExpress without knowing the screen type. And on the 3ds informations, it appears to be an IPS screen.
Couldn't hurt to try, I think that file should be OK to share on here since it's just calibration data, so you could try making a thread for it.

Reactions: Huex

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay thanks, I a about to open a thread

Look like you need to get a TN screen, sadly that is what they use, if you are sure that you got an IPS screen perhaps you can try to go after N3DS XL with an IPS bottom screen and swap out the top screen if you are comfortable doing that.

Huex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Look like you need to get a TN screen, sadly that is what they use, if you are sure that you got an IPS screen perhaps you can try to go after N3DS XL with an IPS bottom screen and swap out the top screen if you are comfortable doing that.
Where could I find a new 2ds xl TN screen but cheap ? The one I have I bought on AliExpress was only $20

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Is maybe this "brightness difference" a side effect of the bias voltage adjustment, which you can try to do yourself with Config (the dev tool)?

Huex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is maybe this "brightness difference" a side effect of the bias voltage adjustment, which you can try to do yourself with Config (the dev tool)?
I don’t know how to do that, could you explain ? I have heard about the config.cia but don’t know much

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don’t know how to do that, could you explain ? I have heard about the config.cia but don’t know much
If you have a GBA/SP/Micro/DS/Lite/i you'll find, under or next to the battery, some trimmers (1 per screen) to set the bias voltage, nintendo calls this "flicker", many people think it's for "contrast" or "scanlines", the point is that it needs to be adjusted for the individual screen for best results

In the 3DS series it's adjusted in software, in Config you have "lcd settings" and then "flicker top" or "flicker bottom" for that...

...but thinking about it, if they're aftermarket/clone/"refurbished", they may well have different backlights - and even then LEDs do become dimmer with time...

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You are correct on that, that N2DS XL doesn't have IPS screen.
I'm wondering if they took the screen out of a N3DS XL (if the screens are even the same size)? Or are these screens 3rd party.
If the screens are 3rd party, it's gonna be impossible to find calibration data to match them.
But the calibration data from a top IPS N3DS XL could be a good starting point at least.

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm wondering if they took the screen out of a N3DS XL (if the screens are even the same size)? Or are these screens 3rd party.
If the screens are 3rd party, it's gonna be impossible to find calibration data to match them.
But the calibration data from a top IPS N3DS XL could be a good starting point at least.

Probably third party since it came from Aliexpress, but only N3DS and 3DS line use IPS screen.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Please do not swap HWCAL files, you will ruin everything else just for your display to not even be guaranteed to have a correct brightness curve, and ruining the brightness curve for your original display as well.

First of all, you can fix this without HWCAL swap, just by editing the brightness polynomial in the config (I'm working on the homebrew since 2021, so I have code to invert five brightness levels back into a polynomial, but no user-friendly UI yet, so can't release it without giving a 3hr-long lecture).
Second, pretty sure you need a factory reset for cfg sysmodule to read HWCAL files into the main config.

It's not a good idea to adjust the flicker, you only need to adjust it if the screen actually flickers, or if the colors are super washed out (it will look very gray), or if there is heavy vignette caused by the obviously bad bias voltage.

Anyway, bad bias voltage DOES NOT cause brightness difference, please do not change it from factory default, ESPECIALLY if you don't know what you're doing!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Please do not swap HWCAL files, you will ruin everything else just for your display to not even be guaranteed to have a correct brightness curve, and ruining the brightness curve for your original display as well.

First of all, you can fix this without HWCAL swap, just by editing the brightness polynomial in the config (I'm working on the homebrew since 2021, so I have code to invert five brightness levels back into a polynomial, but no user-friendly UI yet, so can't release it without giving a 3hr-long lecture).
Second, pretty sure you need a factory reset for cfg sysmodule to read HWCAL files into the main config.

It's not a good idea to adjust the flicker, you only need to adjust it if the screen actually flickers, or if the colors are super washed out (it will look very gray), or if there is heavy vignette caused by the obviously bad bias voltage.

Anyway, bad bias voltage DOES NOT cause brightness difference, please do not change it from factory default, ESPECIALLY if you don't know what you're doing!
Finally a definite answer. I'd give you 10 likes if I could.
So in short, there is no tool available that can do it yet.
Would it be faster to write that 3 hr lecture, or code a simple text based UI, do you think? :P Just wondering.

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Finally a definite answer. I'd give you 10 likes if I could.
So in short, there is no tool available that can do it yet.
Would it be faster to write that 3 hr lecture, or code a simple text based UI, do you think? :P Just wondering.

The lecture is obviously easier as a dev than making any UI of some sorts :P
There is a reason "dev UI" is a term. It's a UI which looks horrendous, and obviously made by a dev who just needs *anything* to control something.

Reactions: The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The lecture is obviously easier as a dev than making any UI of some sorts :P
There is a reason "dev UI" is a term. It's a UI which looks horrendous, and obviously made by a dev who just needs *anything* to control something.
Funny, for me it's the opposite. I'm terrible at explaining things, but designing UI/UX can be quite fun and recreational.

• Wow
Reactions: Sono

Huex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks for your answers, so there is nothing I can try except buying a new TN screen...

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Thanks for your answers, so there is nothing I can try except buying a new TN screen...

I mean, you can also wait longer, I'll release some homebrew eventually to callibrate your screens with... It might not be user-friendly, as it's mainly intended for repair shops, but yeah...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker.