Difference with PokeGen and PkHex?

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by Chuckz, Jun 13, 2017.

1. Chuckz
    OP

Chuckz GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Could someone please explain to me the difference between PokeGen and PkHex?
    I am trying to research and learn how to do this but I am not sure where to start.
    I currently would like to do it on a DS Lite, just so I can have authentic versions of the Pokemon I want.

2. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Pokesav was the first mainstream DS Pokémon save editor. It's still good, but it lacks a lot of today's features.

PokeGen eventually overthrew Pokesav as the best save-editor. It did a lot to, among other things, protect the legality of Pokemon.

PKHex started as just a Gen VI save editor and didn't work with DS games. However, it evetually grew to work with all gens. It includes a lot of new features and a built-in legality checker.

So, to sum it all up, PKHex is probably your best bet if not only just for the legality checker, but PokeGen is good too. PKHex also still receives support and updates.

Last edited by Lacius, Jun 13, 2017
    Chuckz likes this.
  3. Chuckz
    OP

Chuckz GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Perfect, thanks! I'll def check out PkHex. I am currently playing PKMNLG through slot2, how would do you extract and copy my Pokémon saves to and from the console? (for both GBA and DS games)

4. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    Are you using a flashcart, or are you using a legitimate cartridge?

5. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Chuckz likes this.
  6. Chuckz
    OP

Chuckz GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    So I have an NDSLite and a Flashcard but I am playing the cartridge versions of PKMN LG and SS. Is it possible extract and after copy back my Pokémon saves to and from the console? (I would like to do this for both GBA and DS games)

Does PkHex allow me to load up two different Pokemon games at the same time and transfer Pokemon between games and generations?

7. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I know you can do it with certain Action Replays, but I don't have much experience with this. Most of us use flashcarts or emulators.

Yes. You can open multiple PKHex windows and seag Pokemon between the two. It will automatically import/export between generations properly when you do so.

8. Chuckz
    OP

Chuckz GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    I have a Flashcart and I am using DeSmuME 0.9.11.
    I guess what I am trying to accomplish is play my cartridges typically on my DS Lite and occasionally us PkHex on my cartridge saves to edit Pokemon and Items and transfer it back to the cartridge.
    Is this possible with a Flashcart?

9. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    If you have a DS flashcart, then you can try different tools like DSaveManager, GBA Backup Tool, etc. to import and export your save files between your computer and your legitimate cartridges. However, if you have a DS flashcart, I highly recommend you play your DS Pokémon games using that because it will make transferring save files so much easier.

Chuckz and RustInPeace like this.
  10. Chuckz
    OP

Chuckz GBAtemp Regular

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Where can I find the Home-brew you mentioned above?

11. RustInPeace

RustInPeace Samurai Cop

Oct 13, 2014
    United States
    Chuckz likes this.