Hacking Did wiikey updated wrong accidently.. need help..

CDRacingZX6R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated from the SMG disk before there was the new firmware release from wiikey. I know, I'm a tard. I tried to update the firmware using the new disk. Got all the way to the part where it was 100 percent, and said update successful. Restart the wii and now it wont read disks. Any of them.

I tried to use the recovery disk, but it doesn't appear to be reading it. (1.9b recovery). This is how im doing it, just to make sure Im doing it right. I turn the wii on, eject whatever s in it. Then put the recovery disk in, and hit reset. Then allow it to sit up to 3 minutes. Then when I attempt to put any other disk in, still nothing. Am I doing something wrong here, or is it simply not reading the recovery disk.

Ive made a few more to make sure it was not a disk error and burned it at speeds of 1X, 2X. Still nothing.
cry.gif

Can someone tell me how to fix this and get this update back on track?

Some more background (I didnt update to 1.9b, and only had whatever the original firmware is on the modchip).

Thanks for anyone who is willing to give some time.
bow.gif

CDRacingZX6R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tried running 1.3, even filechoped it to gamecube size. Still no go.

Is the procedure Im doing correct? Turn on, eject whatever is in there. Put disk in, reset and let it sit for minimum of 3 minutes? And its supposed to recover right?

CDRacingZX6R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only thing I can think is maybe some how I killed off my wiikey. I guess maybe I should switch to D2CKEY, since the updates seem to be easyer to install. Sucks though cause im poor.

A

armand66

The updates to D2C aren't easier to install, there was no update for D2C in regards to Galaxy, it just worked.

Did you get to 100% at the end of testing, or 100% at the end of full update? It should have had a homer simpsons voice if you did.

The best bet for people doing these updates is using a gamecube controller, that way, you just press a button on it when prompted, and eventually the system resets and it updates no problems.

I updated 7 systems yesterday, some from people who had used the Galaxy update beforehand and had no issues.

If anything, i reckon people who dont use a cube controller, are pressing reset at the wrong time, or double pressing it.

Updating Wiikey is as easy as it comes, i don't see where the problems are coming from.

CDRacingZX6R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I updated and got the 100 percent but no homer simpson voice. It just said 100 percent. I let it sit there for 10 minutes before restarting. Once I restarted it and tried SMG it said "unable to read disc, consult owners manual". So I tried other backups, and still got the same error.

It appears not to read any disks now, and sometimes when I put a disk in, it spits it out, takes it back in, and spits out completely.

I've tried the recovery disk. Assuming I did it correctly, and I still get the disk error. Thats why Im wondering if I somehow killed off the wiikey.

Is there something I can do to get this thing reading disks again, so I can try to update it with the gamecube controller? (I used the reset button last time. So maybe that didnt help).

Any advice would be great. Ive made about 20 coasters so far.

CDRacingZX6R

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nevermind, I got it to work. I was using a bad media for updates. I saw other people say it worked for them so I never suspected it. Out of desperation I went to target picked up some new media and worked first try.

Thanks

Seatech30

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi CDRacingZX6R,
I am having a similar problem as you, however my wii stopped playing backups after I deleted the "???" channel.

In any case, which was the media that you used? Also did you pad the iso for the recovery disk? and after the 3 minutes did you take out the disk before turn on and off or vise versa? (I know that last one is a bit stupid but just I've been trying everything >_>). Media I have tried are Memorex DVD-R burnt at 4x, and Fujifilm DVD+RW burnt at 2x and 4x.

I have a US wii with wiikey 1.9b and used config 1.3. Wii is updated to 3.1u.

ledav007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Seatech 30, do you know what was this (one ?) "???" channel, and how did you delete it ?

And yes for most people I have seen having problems to update genuine Wiikeys, most common problem is :

Using BAD media (when switching to Verbatim 16x -R burnt at 4x, everything goes fine)

Seatech30

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ledav007, I have no clue what the "???" channel is, I just figured it was some random garbage in memory, so I decided to delete it. I had just DLed the metroid prime preview channel when I first noticed this ??? channel. I deleted the channel from withing the data>channel management menu. The channel actually holds a blank spot in the wii main screen. That is all I know about it. Mine was 7 blocks, I believe I read elsewhere someone had one that was 10 blocks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only Xbox I don't have is the OG, and One X model specifically, I regret giving my chipped OG model to one of my kids years ago, after later hearing he sold it to pawn shop, damn kids!
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, You shouldn't raise Fortnite gamers.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    They have they own kids now that will pay them back for all the things they did to me, that's how it works, Karma.
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell their kids about pawn shops
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol I still got mw2 open beta on this ps4
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just recently picked up a n64 from a garage sell, and looking to mod it and add a HDMI port to it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3548173115...044&customid=4f3038da73b61afddf7e5e90f4153856
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'd like to find a power strip and HDMI selector built in 1 unit, so I can select which game system I want, and will switch to that hdmi, and power on that plug/power supply only, so don't have all game systems powered all the time, but can't find anything like. May just have to make something myself.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Maybe start a kick starter page and sell them, yea right. Big N would prob C&D me, not anything Big N related, but just because that's what they do nowdays. Then come out with they own in a year or so.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Nice. Which operating system are you installing?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, windows 10 and some linux distro like linux mint
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    dualbooth
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Yeah, I'd recommend having another OS just in-case you want to play games.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least Linux doesn't contain spyware than what Windows has.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, cuz of lag?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, No. Whenever you use the internet on Windows, Microsoft collects personal data and installs bloatware that isn't necessarily needed, such as Edge.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Speaking of which
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    I recall @impeeza mentioned some trick about not having bloatware when installing windows where you set up your country to "world" or smh like that
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Yes, you can debloat the operating system, but in some cases for me it just reinstalls them.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ,
    I also recall my brother downloded a "non bloated" version of windows 11 on his pc
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    "Why debloat? Why not embrace and enjoy my bloat?" - Gates
    +2
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    @Xdqwerty yes, when you are installing Windows on the first steps you are asked for your current location, you MUST to select «international» so no bloatware is installed, because the bloatware is location based. if this night I have some time I will setup a VM and take screenshots.
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    User Gates "Disliked" your answer.
    +1
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: User Gates "Disliked" your answer. +1