Hacking Did the SCDSTWO Break My Memory Card?

portezbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is very strange I turned on my DS and when I go to start fish tycoon all i get is one black screen and one white screen. I took the flashcart out and removed the memory and connected it to my computer but it won't mount now. This is a brand new kingston card that I bought with the supercard. Did they sell me a bum card or did the flash cart break it somehow or is it something else? Thanks.

I've tried different memory card readers and tried a different flashcart and a different memory card in the scdstwo. Everything else works fine, it is def something wrong with the memory card.

creativ

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
don't know, but my kingston card break after a while too

And after this, i bought from other manufacturer a card

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Hmm ... I haven't had trouble with my Kingston, but did get a few 'corrupt files' on my old Sandisk MSD when using on the DSTwo.

A format with the Panasonic formatter usually cleared the problem... but back to Kingston MSD, I believe that there are quite a few clone copies of these that are prone to failures...
It's possible you may have one

portezbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got the microsd card from shoptemp, I really figured that because they were affiliated with gbatemp they would be reliable....I guess not.

I don't know how to take a picture of something so small or why I would need to, are you trying to see if I have a fake? The card does not appear damaged in any way.

It says micro sd hc on the fron and a 4 in a circle(speed class?) beneath that it says 4gb and c04g Japan
Below that it sys kingston sdc4/ 4gb 51 FCC
on the other side it says M1SD4096MB ABA10102m1t

However, the consensus is that this is probably something with the memory and the flashcart didn't damage it or anything right? I'd hate to put another memory card in there to have it busted again.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
portezbie said:
I got the microsd card from shoptemp, I really figured that because they were affiliated with gbatemp they would be reliable....I guess not.

I don't know how to take a picture of something so small or why I would need to, are you trying to see if I have a fake? The card does not appear damaged in any way.

It says micro sd hc on the fron and a 4 in a circle(speed class?) beneath that it says 4gb and c04g Japan
Below that it sys kingston sdc4/ 4gb 51 FCC
on the other side it says M1SD4096MB ABA10102m1t

However, the consensus is that this is probably something with the memory and the flashcart didn't damage it or anything right? I'd hate to put another memory card in there to have it busted again.

Shoptemp is very much reliable. It says in your report that your Kingston is from Japan, which tells us it's not a fake/clone. Obviously, from what happens when you put your card in the computer, it's corrupted. I'm not sure what may have caused the corruption, but you can fix it with this tool:

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/200...vel-Format-Tool

portezbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried the tool you suggested, but it doesn't even recognize the memory as being connected to my pc. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
If a computer won't recognise it, a mobile phone will most likely not recognize it either. The issue here is NOT caused by card corruption, there's something different going on but I can't quite give it a name.

portezbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so this is super bizarre. I had left the sd card in its adapter plugged into my computer while i was researching this and about 30 minutes later it all of a sudden pops open the window. Strange. So I unplug it and pop it back into my ds and still the same thing white and black screen. Pop it back out and back into my computer and nothing again. I figure I'll try leaving it plugged in for a while and sure enough after a while it starts working again. I figure it is some kind of bizarre corruption that makes it just register really slowly so I back up as much of it as I can(the _dstwo folder was corrupt) and then I format the card. I then replace the dstwo folder and all the other files. Plug it back into the ds and nothing again. Plug it back in to my computer and nothing again.

WTF?

I only did a quick format through windows, maybe I needed to do a full format or use that tool above mentioned? I dunno, this seems bizarre to me.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
If a computer won't recognise it, a mobile phone will most likely not recognize it either. The issue here is NOT caused by card corruption, there's something different going on but I can't quite give it a name.

It has quite a few of the symptoms of a corrupted SD card. Plus formatting a sd card via a cell phone is a known remedy. The cell phone KNOWS that the memory card is there because that's the only thing that could be there, unlike with a computer which could have hundreds of possibilities.

QUOTE(portezbie @ Jun 12 2010, 03:07 PM) so this is super bizarre. I had left the sd card in its adapter plugged into my computer while i was researching this and about 30 minutes later it all of a sudden pops open the window. Strange. So I unplug it and pop it back into my ds and still the same thing white and black screen. Pop it back out and back into my computer and nothing again. I figure I'll try leaving it plugged in for a while and sure enough after a while it starts working again. I figure it is some kind of bizarre corruption that makes it just register really slowly so I back up as much of it as I can(the _dstwo folder was corrupt) and then I format the card. I then replace the dstwo folder and all the other files. Plug it back into the ds and nothing again. Plug it back in to my computer and nothing again.

WTF?

I only did a quick format through windows, maybe I needed to do a full format or use that tool above mentioned? I dunno, this seems bizarre to me.

Try using a different reader maybe? I know you said you already tried different ones, but you never know.

portezbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I formatted it with the aforementioned SD Formatter. Full Format. Problem persists. I guess I am lucky that I was still able to get the data off of it and that the problem seems to be the memory and not the more expensive card. I just hope the flashcart isnt the culprit and that I dont get a new one and this happens again.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
DeltaBurnt said:
Overlord Nadrian said:

It has quite a few of the symptoms of a corrupted SD card. Plus formatting a sd card via a cell phone is a known remedy. The cell phone KNOWS that the memory card is there because that's the only thing that could be there, unlike with a computer which could have hundreds of possibilities.
I'm not retarded, you know... I used to format with a digital camera before I heard of the SD Formatter, too. And the computer simply does not recognise it in this case, you think the computer is looking through all possibilities but it isn't, that's why it isn't recognising it.

portezbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well it recognizes it eventually which is the strange part it just takes like 15 minutes to do it. Formatting didn't help and it is totally useless since it wont work in the flash cart. I just contacted shoptemp to see what they say.

DeltaBurnt

I'm bored
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
DeltaBurnt said:
Overlord Nadrian said:

I'm not retarded, you know... I used to format with a digital camera before I heard of the SD Formatter, too. And the computer simply does not recognise it in this case, you think the computer is looking through all possibilities but it isn't, that's why it isn't recognising it.

Well then why did you say it's not a corruption problem if we hadn't gone through all the steps to insure it isn't a corruption problem. The computer doesn't recognize it because it can't pull the data from the SD card that verifies it as a sd card. When something goes in a computer's USB port the computer doesn't have a huge list of things it needs to recognize (well it has a default list but not in depth), that's why you have to install drivers when you get some sort of new accessory for your computer.

At this point it's probably that the microsd card was damaged hardware wise, or it's the reader.

@OP: How long have you had/used this microsd card? Do you have any others your can try on your DSTwo?

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DeltaBurnt said:
At this point it's probably that the microsd card was damaged hardware wise, or it's the reader.

I happen to have four readers, and I've used six, two of the six are completely broken after very little use. Of the four readers I still have, only two of them work *reliably* (probably 90% of the time) and the one I usually use is actually a msd>sd adapter that I use with an internal SD reader in my laptop. Several times I thought my 512 was permanently damaged because of the less-reliable or broken readers failing mid-write. It never actually was, but my newer 4gb msdhc was partially corrupted once and it was fixed by a full format (quick format had not fixed it) using SD Assoc. Formatter 3.0.
And always use Safely Remove if removing the msd from the reader device in Windows, my boyfriend ignored doing that the first week he had his R4, and it led to problems that he hasn't had since I told him to always Safely Remove. You can get away with not using it once in a while, but if there is no R/W LED indicator on your reader to tell you for sure it's definitely not being written that second, it's dangerous.

portezbie

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried the sd formatter with a full format and I've tried 3 different readers, 1 internal and two external. I've tried it with and without an microsd to sd adaptor. Really, nothing seems to work. I just tried another microsd card in my scds2 and it seems to work fine.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Try getting a Mepis or Knoppix live CD/DVD and formatting it from there using dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX (where X is the letter of the SD card, typically sdb or sdc depending on the number of hard drives you have) and then using fdisk to make a new partition (Windows does not support partitioning on removable storage like a SD card). I have found that Linux is much better than Windows at recognizing USB devices and unlike Windows does not have to install a seperate driver for each USB port (i.e. plug a memory stick in the top port in Windows and it has to go through the driver install, then plug it in the bottom port and it has to install the driver all over again). WARNING: do not use the wrong device (i.e. sda instead of sdb) or you will be wiping your main hard drive!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM