Hardware Did I just short-circut my Wii U?

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so I think I did something pretty stupid. I was testing a powered USB hub on my Wii U, but nothing seemed to be working. So, I plugged it into another port, and suddenly everything turned off and now I've got this blinking red light on the console. It refuses to turn on, no matter how many times I unplug and plug back in the adapter. Is my Wii U completely unusable now?!? I'm kind of worried that everything I have on there is lost for good!

I own a 32GB (Black) model, if that matters.

Last edited by HarveyHouston,

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was following this post: https://gbatemp.net/threads/vwii-ro...-usb-instruments-problem.498958/#post-8491913

It wasn't working with CFG USB Loader. I have the Wii U in pieces trying to find out what went wrong. It's very dusty, but nothing looks broken. I followed this guide on iFixit (skipping steps 9 and 11 and all GamePad steps).

EDIT: I was told that @ShadowOne333, @ploggy, and @FIX94 may be able to help me. If any of you guys know something about this issue, please leave me a post here!

Last edited by HarveyHouston,

IC_

GBAtemp's ???
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I put my Wii U back together, and now it shows a disc light, but no power light. I push the power button, and the disc light goes off. I think I may have damaged the power light somehow.
Maybe you didn’t connect the cable for the front panel properly when you put it back together but it shouldn’t be an issue like tech3475 said

Reactions: tech3475

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe you didn’t connect the cable for the front panel properly when you put it back together but it shouldn’t be an issue like tech3475 said

That's a point, flat flex cables can be a pain. I once had to re-dissassemble my Vita because the cable for the left stick was off just ever so slightly (despite having putting it in as far as I thought I could before putting the clamp down).

I don't have a multimeter. I took the whole thing apart.

You may have a problem then since a multimeter would be a common way to try and diagnose a faulty component if there are no visual indications (e.g. blown caps).

Might be worth double checking the flat flex first and looking closely for anything which looks like something has blown.

If you're lucky, the USB may be protected by a 'resetable' fuse, however I heard these can take time to reset so may be try leaving the console unplugged for a few days if the above doesn't work.

edit:

Also, check your powered USB hub, I've heard in the past that cheap ****y ones are so poorly designed they don't include any protection against the device they'll be used with.

Last edited by tech3475,
Reactions: IC_

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I read the saga of the guy trying to reverse engineer his circuit board, but I got so confused by volts and ohms, I barely understood what was happening (it doesn't look like he ever got it working, anyway). I liked the pictures, though. :-P

I'm very much an amateur when it comes to hardware. I don't have all the right tools to refurbish the motherboard myself. I'm better at fixing software problems. I hate this, actually. I just want it to work.

That's a point, flat flex cables can be a pain. I once had to re-dissassemble my Vita because the cable for the left stick was off just ever so slightly (despite having putting it in as far as I thought I could before putting the clamp down).

I'll fiddle with it some more. I'm sure it's only off by a hair... (o~o)

You may have a problem then since a multimeter would be a common way to try and diagnose a faulty component if there are no visual indications (e.g. blown caps).

Might be worth double checking the flat flex first and looking closely for anything which looks like something has blown.

Nothing looks blown, if merely looking at the board. I didn't check the CPU thoroughly, as I was afraid to take off the cover - I might not be able to get it back on again! I honestly don't know what to look for. If I ever get a multimeter, I might check it out.

If you're lucky, the USB may be protected by a 'resetable' fuse, however I heard these can take time to reset so may be try leaving the console unplugged for a few days if the above doesn't work.

So, you're suggesting that if there's a surge of electricity, it may take time to clear? If that's all it is, then I may have a chance. However, I'm wondering if the surge got redirected to the AC adapter and blew it. Thus, even though the Wii U gets power, it's not enough power for it to work, thus the red blinking light. I left the adapter plugged in for hours, and it felt cold (they get warm, right?), so I think I'll buy another one.

Also, check your powered USB hub, I've heard in the past that cheap ****y ones are so poorly designed they don't include any protection against the device they'll be used with.

Yes it was a cheap... eh, one. Made in China; must've been about $1 brand new. I got it second hand even. It's old, too... Ya know, the more I think about it, the more stupid I feel. I knew better than to plug this crappy thing in! What was I thinking?!? :-/

Reactions: Alexander1970

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I read the saga of the guy trying to reverse engineer his circuit board, but I got so confused by volts and ohms, I barely understood what was happening (it doesn't look like he ever got it working, anyway). I liked the pictures, though. :-P

I'm very much an amateur when it comes to hardware. I don't have all the right tools to refurbish the motherboard myself. I'm better at fixing software problems. I hate this, actually. I just want it to work.

I'll fiddle with it some more. I'm sure it's only off by a hair... (o~o)

Nothing looks blown, if merely looking at the board. I didn't check the CPU thoroughly, as I was afraid to take off the cover - I might not be able to get it back on again! I honestly don't know what to look for. If I ever get a multimeter, I might check it out.

So, you're suggesting that if there's a surge of electricity, it may take time to clear? If that's all it is, then I may have a chance. However, I'm wondering if the surge got redirected to the AC adapter and blew it. Thus, even though the Wii U gets power, it's not enough power for it to work, thus the red blinking light. I left the adapter plugged in for hours, and it felt cold (they get warm, right?), so I think I'll buy another one.

Yes it was a cheap... eh, one. Made in China; must've been about $1 brand new. I got it second hand even. It's old, too... Ya know, the more I think about it, the more stupid I feel. I knew better than to plug this crappy thing in! What was I thinking?!? :-/

I just checked my power supply which has been on standby for months and it's cold, PSUs don't necessarily get warm.

If something has gone it will likely be on the motherboard.

I wouldn't bother taking the CPU cover off but as of now your only option seems to be checking the flat flex cables and maybe leaving it off for a while without a multimeter.

If you still have problems, you may want to ask around to better test the system and/or replace components.

You may also want to consider getting a multimeter at some point, even cheap ones can be useful. For example, recently I had some issues with my Amiga and used a multimeter to make sure it wasn't the power supply (turned out to be dirty contacts which some IPA solved).

HarveyHouston

Christian Modder
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just checked my power supply which has been on standby for months and it's cold, PSUs don't necessarily get warm.

If something has gone it will likely be on the motherboard.

I wouldn't bother taking the CPU cover off but as of now your only option seems to be checking the flat flex cables and maybe leaving it off for a while without a multimeter.

If you still have problems, you may want to ask around to better test the system and/or replace components.

You may also want to consider getting a multimeter at some point, even cheap ones can be useful. For example, recently I had some issues with my Amiga and used a multimeter to make sure it wasn't the power supply (turned out to be dirty contacts which some IPA solved).
It's been off since yesterday; may give it all weekend, just to be sure. I really hope nothing's fried.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: don't mind me, just liking all of SDIO's posts, they deserve it for...