Hacking Did I destroyed my switch?

pan_piwko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi

Im a total moron that get drunked and possibly destroyed my switch with nand restore. I explain what happend:
I was running SX OS on 6.1 OFW, my litter sister updated Switch to 6.2 via online. I waited few days for SX OS update but no luck. One night i get drunked and read that you can restore console to 5.1 (I have my 5.1 rawnand) I restored it to 5.1 and BLUESCREEN. I can run only run hekate, booting to SX OS or Atmofphere
gives only boot logo and black screen.
Im mad as hell for doing that insted of waiting for new SX OS release... Can I fix/restore my console or put it to garbage can?

P.S
I dont have backup with 6.2
I only have rawnand, boot0, boot1, and keys (tsec,fuse) of 5.1

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone explain what's going on here? As far as I knew what OP did should have worked fine. If they restored a 5.1 rawnand backup, as long as CFW is being used it should bypass the fuse count and boot fine.

I'm fortunate not to be in the OP's position, but I would have expected it to work.

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Don't worry I'm pretty sure you can resurrect your switch. Did you restore everything, boot0, boot1 and rawnand ? If your switch was updated officially (I assume it was if your sister did it), it burned some fuses to bring the count to 7, so you will have to use hekate or any other bootloader that bypasses fuse checks in order to boot to 5.1. Once there you can use ChoidujourNX to reupdate to 6.1 if you wish. I'm pretty sure the latest SXOS bootloader bypasses fuse checks so you should be able to get everything back and running just as it was before. And once it's done you should make a nand backup of your 6.1 nand.

Can someone explain what's going on here? As far as I knew what OP did should have worked fine. If they restored a 5.1 rawnand backup, as long as CFW is being used it should bypass the fuse count and boot fine.

I'm fortunate not to be in the OP's position, but I would have expected it to work.
Maybe he only restored rawnand.bin and not boot0 and boot1 along the way ? Or he didn't put the proper files on his sd card ?

Last edited by LeMageFro,

Ian095

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
From what I've read skipping fuse checks allows lower firmware to run with AutoRCM enabled so... Surely you can update? More specifically use an offline unofficial method to update may be the best option... For the blue screen itself, can't help you much there.

barbarpappa1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think that with 6.2 OFW you have 8 burnt fuses. I'm in the same boat here, installed 6.2 OFW and then when i tried to restore it to my old backup (4.1) with hakate the boot0 and boot1 didnt work.
So I tried restoring only the fullnand.bin wich left me with a bluescreen on the switch.
I can enter recovery mode on the switch but I had no luck at all trying to restore it with Choidujour Windows application.

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I think that with 6.2 OFW you have 8 burnt fuses. I'm in the same boat here, installed 6.2 OFW and then when i tried to restore it to my old backup (4.1) with hakate the boot0 and boot1 didnt work.
So I tried restoring only the fullnand.bin wich left me with a bluescreen on the switch.
I can enter recovery mode on the switch but I had no luck at all trying to restore it with Choidujour Windows application.
Ho yeah true it's 8 fuses for 6.2 my bad. Do you mean that you weren't able to restore boot0 and boot1 ? And if you did manage to restore boot0, boot1 and rawnand.bin and it still doesn't work have you tried following this tutorial to reinstall 6.2 ? (So that at least you can boot you device).
https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/
Anyway in the worst case scenario if this tutorial doesn't work you'll have to wait for choidujour to be adapted to 6.2 but in the long run there is no reason to think you won't be able te restore your switch as long as you can enter RCM.

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Maybe he only restored rawnand.bin and not boot0 and boot1 along the way ? Or he didn't put the proper files on his sd card ?

Yes. This is what happens when you don't restore the boot0 and boot1 of the nand installed. You need to install them and you'll be able to boot with cfw since they skip the fuse check. Keep in mind sleep mode will crash the console since the fuse count won't match.

isanchez

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had the same issue trying to restore from 6.1 from 6.2 and it was fixed by restoring my boot0 and boot1 using rajnx

DaniPoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Isn't this why people are updating their firmware that special way that don't burn fuses so that they then can downgrade without killing their machines?
I think I heard that a machine that has too many fuses burnt for it's firmware version will get a bluescreen of death.
If you have a nand backup from 6.2 maybe there is a way to upgrade to that and bring your switch back to life?

Reactions: Zaybokk

Virdoo

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Keep the switch anyway if there won't be help. Sooner or later you will be able to reflash it like we could do it on 3DS. If you remember, for a quiet long time it was unable to flash nand once you deleted your own backup, but things got changed...

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Isn't this why people are updating their firmware that special way that don't burn fuses so that they then can downgrade without killing their machines?
I think I heard that a machine that has too many fuses burnt for it's firmware version will get a bluescreen of death.
If you have a nand backup from 6.2 maybe there is a way to upgrade to that and bring your switch back to life?
It doesn't really kill your machine and you can still boot to CFW since most (actually probably all) custom bootloaders bypasses fuse checks. The only thing you won't be able to do is to downgrade and then boot via the official nintendo bootloader if a future untethered exploit is released.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks guys. I only restored rawnand. What path os SD card should boot0 and boot1 have?
/Backup/<eMMC S/N>/Restore/BOOT0 and /Backup/<eMMC S/N>/Restore/BOOT1. So just next to where you put rawnand.bin.

Everything is detailed here : https://gbatemp.net/threads/rcm-payload-hekate-ctcaer-mod.502604/

barbarpappa1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Ho yeah true it's 8 fuses for 6.2 my bad. Do you mean that you weren't able to restore boot0 and boot1 ? And if you did manage to restore boot0, boot1 and rawnand.bin and it still doesn't work have you tried following this tutorial to reinstall 6.2 ? (So that at least you can boot you device).

Anyway in the worst case scenario if this tutorial doesn't work you'll have to wait for choidujour to be adapted to 6.2 but in the long run there is no reason to think you won't be able te restore your switch as long as you can enter RCM.

Exactly, My backup of boot0 and boot1 was not working. I got an error message when I tried to restore them, Reading further on these forums I saw that some user(s) had managed to restore there switches with just the rawnand.bin so I tried the same. That left me with the bluescreen.
I have followed that guide you are refering to without luck. Dunno if its because I am on 6.2 atm. If someone else has the same blue screen on 6.2 and managed to fix that I would really like to know how :)
Lesson learned :P

LeMageFro

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Exactly, My backup of boot0 and boot1 was not working. I got an error message when I tried to restore them, Reading further on these forums I saw that some user(s) had managed to restore there switches with just the rawnand.bin so I tried the same. That left me with the bluescreen.
I have followed that guide you are refering to without luck. Dunno if its because I am on 6.2 atm. If someone else has the same blue screen on 6.2 and managed to fix that I would really like to know how :)
Lesson learned :P
Well if you have nothing to loose you can always disable the "backup and restore verification" option and try to restore your boot0 and boot1 regardless of the error. Not much chance that it will work but I don't think it will mess your nand up any further either (do it at your own risk though, I can't be held responsible :P). And I assume you didn't backup your 6.2 boot0, boot1 and rawanand before trying to restore 4.1 (Otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation) ?
In any case try to backup boot0 and boot1 before disabling the verification option, if the 4.1 boots weren't restored because of the error you should still have the 6.2 ones in there so it can't hurt to back them up.

Last edited by LeMageFro,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1