Hacking DevolUtion?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
has anyone tried the 8 to 12cm disk adapter at all. it seems like the kind of thing that could get jammed in your drive messing it up and requiring you to open the console and drive. at least that could tell us if homebrew can read GC disks with AHBPROT on the Wii U.

thevoiceover

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't tried the adapter but I tried the exploit 1st day of release... I loaded wiiradio and Devo w/o hitch (other than not being to hit x of course to load drive) but have no doubt that it is working on wii u.. It seems pretty obvious at this point though the only way to play the games is from backup and being the author of Devo is so passionate about how much piracy is hurting the industry, I doubt it will ever see the day...

<snip>

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Mentioned this earlier in the other original thread but it is appropriate here with all the controller talk

If this is true and something like this can be added down the line, I would be so happy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GameCube-Controller-Adapter-PC-USB/dp/B0089NVTDM

A: Controllers, I think someone will eventually make a Gamecube controller to Classic Controller converter, they just need to get the Classic controller working with this

It's been done. See this thread. I'm currently working on adding analog support for the triggers.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
since using a GC controller without GC ports has a workaround using that adapter mentioned above, all that is left is for Devolution to support WiiMote+Classic Controller and running GC games with some alternate Anti-Piracy approach (like verifying on a Wii and using the same hdd on the Wii U that has the non copied/moved check files) or removing it all together since the drive spits out GC games and a adapter may cause problems with the optical drive loading mechanisms (someone needs to test the adapter first to see how the Wii and Wii U drive mechanisms treat the adapter+disk combo)

winmaster

Weird Kid Who Still Plays Pokemon
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nintenpc.tripod.com
XP
Country
United States
the drive spits out GC games

Wait, so the Wii U's disc drive is mechanically capable of handling 8cm discs. If that's the case, then depending on what part of it checks for a GC disc, we may be able to solve this with homebrew.

I was afraid that inserting a GC disc into a Wii U would cause the drive to become jammed because it is expecting a 12cm disc.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Wait, so the Wii U's disc drive is mechanically capable of handling 8cm discs. If that's the case, then depending on what part of it checks for a GC disc, we may be able to solve this with homebrew.

I was afraid that inserting a GC disc into a Wii U would cause the drive to become jammed because it is expecting a 12cm disc.
Actually, I think that's where's it's mechanically rejecting it the same way it would spit out any other object that's not the same size as a full disk.
I could be wrong though if it DOESN't spit them out while in homebrew but I kinda understood it still spit them out even when there's no system menu running.

winmaster

Weird Kid Who Still Plays Pokemon
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nintenpc.tripod.com
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I think that's where's it's mechanically rejecting it the same way it would spit out any other object that's not the same size as a full disk.
I could be wrong though if it DOESN't spit them out while in homebrew but I kinda understood it still spit them out even when there's no system menu running.

Ah, okay, I didn't realize that the mechanics were smart enough to do that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse