Hacking Devolution - Public Release

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Devolution on a Wii U via HDMI. On the Wii itself, unless the game supports progressive scan, you're most likely going to still get 240p.

Also, maybe you're not aware, but 240p isn't an actual legit video standard - it's basically a "corruption" of a 480i signal.

Which would explain why my TV freaks out...damn. Guess the only solution for me is to run Devolution on the Wii U, which sounds complicated to me (the whole .dvv files and Wii remotes, etc). Dios Mios has a force video mode and I tried forcing it to 480p no luck, it freaks out even more and I get very strange results with that game.

The thing is, I didn't know my TV wouldn't support this anomalous 480i signal, so yeah. No way I can play the game unless I use those shi**y RCA cables :P I blame Capcom for using funky resolutions for the PSX/Snes games on there. Devolution is my only chance in this case.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing is, I didn't know my TV wouldn't support this anomalous 480i signal, so yeah. No way I can play the game unless I use those shi**y RCA cables :P
There's three different options, and all of them cost ~350 bucks.

1. Wii U
2. Haswell PC + Dolphin (HD4600 is supposedly fine for 720p)
3. Dedicated external scaler - http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's three different options, and all of them cost ~350 bucks.

1. Wii U
2. 4670k + lga1150 modo + Dolphin (HD4600 is supposedly fine for 720p)
3. Dedicated external scaler - http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

Already have a Wii U, so I could use Devolution on there, but isn't the whole transferring .dvv files risky and/or a pain? You just take them while running Devolution on the Wii, then transfer them while using it on the Wii U and then you're set? It uses PS3 controllers too, correct? I have one I can use.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're only finicky in terms of requiring re-verification, not because they'll corrupt your hard drive or something. Since you have a normal Wii then any re-verification shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're only finicky in terms of requiring re-verification, not because they'll corrupt your hard drive or something. Since you have a normal Wii then any re-verification shouldn't be that big of a deal.

Makes sense, and I have the original discs thank goodness, just need to re-rip the game :P Wasn't there a guide for running it on the Wii U (the transfer process, etc)? I thought there was one.....

flame6753

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.flame-ex.com
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone who has the raphnet gamecube to wiimote adapter test the analog L and R buttons with a game like mario sunshine or melee's light shielding. One the website it specifically says that the analog r and l are not implemented, only digital L and R.

But then again it also says that it has not been tested with homebrew. Can someone confirm that they definitely do not function?

snikerz

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Lesotho
Can anyone who has the raphnet gamecube to wiimote adapter test the analog L and R buttons with a game like mario sunshine or melee's light shielding. One the website it specifically says that the analog r and l are not implemented, only digital L and R.

But then again it also says that it has not been tested with homebrew. Can someone confirm that they definitely do not function?
They don't.

Reactions: flame6753

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Quick question, Devolution doesn't force a 480p output on a normal Wii, correct?
Nope. I have games that I have to play in 480i because the progressive option never comes up

And by comments in the code for the sample loader, I'd assume it basically forces NOTHING related to video other than widescreen.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. I have games that I have to play in 480i because the progressive option never comes up

And by comments in the code for the sample loader, I'd assume it basically forces NOTHING related to video other than widescreen.
Just wanted to make sure, so I'm technically not missing much by having shorted out my Wii's component output. :P

I accidentally did it years ago, but it didn't matter since I used a Trinitron SDTV CRT, but that CRT died 2 weeks ago so now I'm on a Toshiba 39L135OU HDTV using composite, which amazingly it doesn't look like crap and has very minimal input lag - even for 240p content! Crazy bang-per-buck at the $337 I payed. Heck the black levels are actually better than the CRT it replaced, which is mind-blowing to me (though it's not as good as my Trinitron CRT PC monitor :P)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wish it did, maybe then it'd actual work with games that have screwy internal resolutions ;)

Txustra

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I can't verify still Starfox Adventures (Players choice) PAL in Devolution... any help? I have tried old revisions and it doesnt work..

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yeah, that's the game I always tried to verify and failed.
I thought my Wiikey was the problem, as I've checked my game's v1.0, MD5 (3ea71068b7b02a362fe31353a52b8da9) and Sha1 (0ad671eefbe0833ac0a38e34a9f543ffe8c3cd7f), it matched the one on gametdb and redump.

I could verify another games without changing anything in my wiikey configs.
So I don't know if starfox adventure is the problem, the wiikey, or combination of both.

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I'm trying to backup my copy of Animal Crossing GC but without luck, it fails with CleanRip and ULGX, so I downloaded the game from internet, it was in gcm format, then I convert it to full iso though GC ISO tool, I launch the game through Devo, it blinks asking for disc verification, I insert the disc, it makes the sound reading it, but then it just go black screen, and I have to power off the Wii, the game is NTSCU the same as my retailer disc.
Games in GCM format can't be verified in Devo because it modified game files.
Now my question is where in the disc is stored the "verification" (inner center, outer), the disc is not severaly scratched, I've verified disc is worst state, but for some reason Animal Crossing fails.
Devo verifies the file system and is stored in the inner edge of the discs (center).
Can you have 2 virtual memory cards, as real GCN Memory Card A and B?
I need a second one for Animal Crossing.
+1, I like have that possibility.
My Wii can play DVD's since its the old one. If I burn a Gamecube game into a DVD can I use Devolution to vertify that backup DVD as a real GameCube game and let me run it through USB after?
Of course not, it is impossible to do it that way.

Apostrophe

VIDEO GAMES
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm having some trouble getting the PS3 controller to work wirelessly. It works fine when connected through USB, but after hitting L1+R1 and disconnecting, it doesn't work. I've also noticed the L3+R3 button combo to return to the Wii menu doesn't work even when the controller is plugged in through USB. I'm wondering if the two might be related.

Anyone know what might be causing this problem?

Edit: Found my problem. You need to press the L1+R1 or L3+R3 commands while the controller is not active.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: already did