Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fairly positive TimeSplitters 2 doesn't have streaming audio. I could be wrong since I run it through Devolution.
It DEFINITELY has streaming audio, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to rip out the audio stream data files via Dolphin and have them playback in foobar with vgmstream. Heck TimeSplitters: Future Perfect even just uses standard old OGG vorbis files for its music.

In other news, I just did a comparison between Devolution/a Wii console at 480i vs Dolphin rendering at the Wii/GC's native res output over VGA at 640x480 on my HDTV, and the VGA picture was MUCH cleaner; the Wii kinda looked like it had a Vaseline filter or something. I've heard that the Wii has a surprisingly blurry video output - is that what I'm seeing here, and if so does component + 480p help at all? Or is a Wii U + HDMI the only console-based solution?

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It DEFINITELY has streaming audio, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to rip out the audio stream data files via Dolphin and have them playback in foobar with vgmstream. Heck TimeSplitters: Future Perfect even just uses standard old OGG vorbis files for its music.

What part of it is audio streaming? For kicks I ran my iso through DMToolbox and booted it up through DIOS MIOS (got the DIOS MIOS screen before it loaded up, so I know it wasn't the loader defaulting to Devo) and I had:
-Menu audio and sound effects
-Voices and sound effectss during cutscenes
-Background music during the first level
-Sound effects during the first level
-Voices during the first level

I see no mention of either TimeSplitters game here: http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Audio_Streaming and according to the description there I don't see a direct reason why having OGG vorbis files means it's audio streaming. Regardless, sound is working in DIOS MIOS. Unless there's some subtle ambiance or something. Sounds exactly like I remember it from 10 years ago. I'd be happy to take a video for you, but it'd be on my iPhone so quality wouldn't be superb.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Multiplayer aka Arcade? I've honestly NEVER played the campaign. Also, again, Future Perfect even uses freakin OGG vorbis files, ones that play in any old media player not made by Microsoft or Apple. Crack open the ISO file in Dolphin if you don't believe me.

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Multiplayer aka Arcade? I've honestly NEVER played the campaign. Also, again, Future Perfect even uses freakin OGG vorbis files, ones that play in any old media player not made by Microsoft or Apple. Crack open the ISO file in Dolphin if you don't believe me.

I don't doubt the types of files the audio is contained in. I've never looked and I have no reason to; you have so I'll take your word for it. But it doesn't change the fact that TimeSplitters 2's audio plays in DIOS MIOS:

While the video was loading I started up Future Perfect to see if that worked too. At first I thought it wasn't working, but that's because Zepplin is slow to build up. Sure enough Future Perfect works too.

d.d.d.

Trophies
XP
Country
In other news, I just did a comparison between Devolution/a Wii console at 480i vs Dolphin rendering at the Wii/GC's native res output over VGA at 640x480 on my HDTV, and the VGA picture was MUCH cleaner; the Wii kinda looked like it had a Vaseline filter or something. I've heard that the Wii has a surprisingly blurry video output - is that what I'm seeing here, and if so does component + 480p help at all? Or is a Wii U + HDMI the only console-based solution?

Vaseline, huh? Well, VGA and component are both analog so I'm not sure that the connection type has much to do with it (not a cabling master). I'd say it's Dolphin that's doing the difference you see unless, your Wii is only connected with composite. That's a huge difference visually.
Then again, originally I had my Wii connected to a CRT via S-video and now via component on an HD CRT in 480p. I think component + the HD CRT looks great for what it is, a SuperCube. ;) Never tried Dolphin, err, had success in running it rather.
I've looked into the HDMI converter for the Wii and the reviews weren't that kind to it.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it's just that I've read that the video output on the Wii is blurrier than one would expect, so I was wondering if that's due to the composite or the Wii itself.

The thing is, composite looked great on my Trinitron SDTV, but it died a couple weeks ago... and I shorted out my Wii's component output years ago when I was being too OCD-frugal to the point of trying to make my own component output connection (and succeeded for a brief bit of time).

EDIT: Just come across another post saying that the GameCube's component output was better than the Wii's component, and also saying that Devolution + Wii U + HDMI looks even better than the GameCube's component.

Also, if anyone cares, the input lag from my HDTV (Toshiba 39L1350U) in game mode on composite was so good that at times I thought the PC running Dolphin through VGA had more input lag, and I was using a Wavebird for Devolution and a wired 360 controller for the PC!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
In the game's header you can check if it's an audio streaming game :
92581-GC_Audio_streaming_byte.png

Some games have this byte set to 01 and works fine with DIOS MIOS too.

rooskie54

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In the game's header you can check if it's an audio streaming game :
92581-GC_Audio_streaming_byte.png

Some games have this byte set to 01 and works fine with DIOS MIOS too.

Interesting. TimeSplitters 2 definitely has that byte set to 01. Any idea why some audio streaming games work with DIOS MIOS yet others don't?

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does it matter where the loader.bin is in relation to my games? My games are on hdd, but wiiflow is set up on sd. Would moving the loader.bin to wiiflow on hdd make any difference?

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I mean it's not entirely on sd. I have emunand on hdd. I just wondered if being on the same device as my games would do anything for them compatibility-wise

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I know, but he specifically said that his Wiiflow setup is on his SD card, and his games are on his HDD. I have mine the same way, loader.bin is on my SD card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzmdrobXH34