Devolution - Public Release

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by tueidj, Jul 12, 2012.

1. wiismodrome

wiismodrome flubber

Feb 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Good to know... DIOS MIOS give the progressive mode selection screen every time the game boots. Nice to have the selection stored.

2. amy.rose

amy.rose Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 16, 2012
    United States
    Thank you - that worked!

Hmm. I guess one of us could have pushed the wrong button at one point. I never even knew that you could bring up that screen with the 'B' button.

I know you commented that Super Mario Sunshine was written poorly but please don't give up on it - it's one of my daughter's favorites (and I like it because it's teaching her that cleaning up can also be fun).

Thank you so much for creating this. :)

3. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    heh, good question actually, I was wondering that too :)

@tueidj but what happens when a game is not progressive scan compatible, it still store the progresive scan mode on?

4. crono141

crono141 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2012
    United States
    The setting is a per game basis setting. Games which do not support progressive scan will not ask.

5. NJ7

NJ7 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2011
    United States
    Are both discs on a 2 disc game spose to verify.?...just wondering cause disc 2 of Goldeneye Rogue Agent is not verifying....no lights blink and returns to hbc.....

EDIT: Nevermind followed some bad advice trying to get this to work and got it to work, was told to verify disc 2 first with it without the first iso of disc 1 and that seemed to be issue....both isos in games folder seemed to work by verifying first disc then the second...

6. thevoiceover

thevoiceover GBAtemp Regular

Sep 23, 2006
    United States

You seem to have figured it out... The only 2 disc game I know of people having troubles with is Killer 7, I don't think it has to do with verification though...

7. NJ7

NJ7 Member

Newcomer
    Oct 20, 2011
    United States
    And what's the issue with Killer 7? Hope Cyan changes his mind of the handling of 2 disc games with usb loader gx, he was gonna have each disc being able to be dumped then played from a seperate directory, but I don't know if there is a workaround with Devo to get that to work that way or not to work, I'm guessing currently no....maybe I misunderstand how he was going to implement that....for time being 2 disc games just gonna use the sample loader for now.....

8. thevoiceover

Sep 23, 2006
    United States
    It seems to not want to load disc 2, the debug log says something like "next ISO is invalid, aborting" and it goes to BLOD.

9. tueidj
    OP

tueidj I R Expert

Jan 8, 2009
    It's really not rocket science....

- Put .ISO files for both discs in /games
    - Launch DISC 1 from the sample loader and insert DISC 1 if it asks for verification.
    - When the game asks to change discs, push the eject button.

1 person likes this.
  10. thevoiceover

Sep 23, 2006
    United States
    Pokemon Xd USA locks up at start (progressive screen)
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 (never lets you do anything, few videos then lock up

Tony Hawk Underground 2 -- Just goes black and stays until HBC is back..

I still have loads more I need to test, anyone want any in particular so we can get reports, etc...?

11. Skeeve

Skeeve Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2010
    Gambia, The
    Hi tueidj!

I just tested R120 with Wind Waker and these are my results:
    1. tested the (already working) copy residing on my hard disk, starting with CFG USB Loader.
      I had to insert my WW DVD. It flashed 5 times but didn't start. I did a reset and started again. Now it started but the texture issues are still there.
    2. copied the ISO to a SD card in order to be able to test with your loader.
      I had to insert my WW DVD. It flashed 5 times but didn't start. I did a reset and started again.
      I had again to insert the DVD. Again 5 flashes and now I waited. Periodically I got 5 flashes but the game never started.

12. tueidj
    OP

tueidj I R Expert

Jan 8, 2009
    Try waiting more than 10 seconds after the five flashes before you decide to reset your wii, games don't start immediately after it.

1. If you see texture issues it is using a build earlier than R120. There is a version number embedded in the engine binary, other loaders should be showing it so the user knows what is happening.
    2. If it loops on the 5 flashes sequence your .ISO file does not match the disc properly.

13. Skeeve

Skeeve Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2010
    Gambia, The
    That's why I tried your loader.

How could that be as the very same ISO worked with revision 105?

14. tueidj
    OP

tueidj I R Expert

Jan 8, 2009
    You copied it to your SD card so it's not the exact same ISO is it?

15. OriginalHamster

OriginalHamster UStealthy

Nov 2, 2008
    Cote d'Ivoire
    @tueidj it's normal that some games exit to HBC randomly?
    I mean, they boot just fine but exit during gameplay. It's worth report logs in those cases, or not yet?

16. tueidj
    OP

tueidj I R Expert

Jan 8, 2009
    They don't just exit for no reason, they probably crashed.

17. Skeeve

Skeeve Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jan 1, 2010
    Gambia, The
    What could possibly have changed during copying? All the bytes should still be where they were, right? After all it's just a file.

18. tueidj
    OP

tueidj I R Expert

Jan 8, 2009
    Evidence would suggest otherwise.

19. Games Xtreme

Games Xtreme Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 21, 2012
    Germany
    F-Zero GX [PAL] Devolution r120 - Freezes at the 50/60 Hz Selection Screen

Pokemon XD [PAL] Devolution r120 - Freezes after the 50/60 Hz Selection Screen

Viewtiful Joe 2 [PAL] Devolution r120 - Menus are working but freezes at the time the game is entered

20. tueidj
    OP

tueidj I R Expert

Jan 8, 2009
    r124 is now up.
    - dial-up modem emulation added
    - fix disc swapping for some US games

How to use the modem emulation: The modem is only usable with PSO Ep. I&II and PSO Ep III, it may be usable with Homeland but who knows. The official PSO servers went offline ages ago but it's still possible to play on custom servers, although Ep III is rarely played due to poor compatibility. The most popular server is probably SCHTHACK, another option is Sylverant which actually seems to be better coded but less popular. Both of them require proper serial numbers and access keys to login, Sylverant also requires pre-registration before it will let you connect (you can do it on the website).
    When Devolution starts it will begin initializing the wii's wifi network. Once that initialization has completed successfully the modem is made visible to the game. If the game says there is no modem connected, try waiting 10-30 seconds and retry whatever it was you were doing. As usual the log will give details but since it's trying to bring the network up at the time you won't be able to see it without a USB gecko. If the wifi link between your wii and the access point is dropped/reset it will be detected and handled, but unfortunately you'll be kicked out of the game and have to wait a little while for it to be reinitialized. Wired connections should also work with the same conditions applied to disconnecting the LAN cable/unplugging the USB adaptor. Why you would do either of those things I don't know but I tested it anyway.

For configuring the dial-up connection in the game, use these settings:
    - Tone dialing
    - No outside line
    - Set line timeout to 99 minutes (optional, most servers will boot you for much less)
    - No additional AT commands
    - User ID (case sensitive): DEVO
    - Password (case sensitive): gc
    Note that this is NOT your PSO password, that is separate.
    - Phone Number; There are four main choices here:
    • "0" will make the connection behave like a regular dial-up internet connection and attempt to connect to the (non-existent) official servers. If you want to connect to a custom server (that isn't SCHTHACK or Sylverant) using DNS redirection, use this option and enter the DNS server IP manually on the next page.
    • "1" will use Captain N's DNS server to automatically connect to SCHTHACK (without the need to manually enter the DNS IP)
    • "2" will use Sylverant's DNS server to automatically connect to Sylverant (without the need to manually enter the DNS IP)
    • "3" will use l33tServ's DNS server to automatically connect to l33tServ (without the need to manually enter the DNS IP)
    • If for some reason you don't want to make use of the PPP emulator on my server (www.tueidj.net), you can combine the target IP and port into a 6 byte integer (IP first) and enter the decimal representation as the phone number.
    - DNS server address: If you used option 1, 2 or 3 above leave this set to automatic. Otherwise you should already know what to do here.

- No Proxy server information

After entering your serial number, access key and account password you should be able to connect. Be warned, once you connect for the first time with a serial number/access key pair they will become permanently stored and you will be unable to change them (without deleting your save data) so make sure they get entered correctly.

Due to the nature of the emulation all traffic is routed through my VPS so don't be a dick and do anything stupid like getting it IP banned from the servers, or else everyone will have to start running their own PPP emulators (which isn't an easy task in these days of broadband). There shouldn't be any problems with lag since the modem connections only require a trickle of bandwidth each but I will be keeping an eye on it just in case.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted