Hacking Devolution - Public Release

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Indeed, it looks like I foolishly forgot my pc uses a different router than my Wii. When I connected to the right one it worked perfectly.

On a different note, I imagine the horizontal stretching would also work regardless of set AR? I know it's possible but don't know if devo would accept it.
I have one of those slightly modern yet still 4:3 EDTVs, the source said it was increased by 32 pixels so that's 672 and yet on my TV I could still go up to 682 and still see everything, heh.

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a separate option, unrelated to widescreen. The source code mentions it can be turned on even when widescreen isn't set, for example if playing only on the wiiu gamepad.
It looks like it just tries to copy what some of the first-party games (I think Pikmin, Mario Kart:DD, Star Fox?) do, they stretch their picture more than normal games but there's still a bit of overscan needed in case the picture has been shifted left/right in the console settings.

Hozu

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh... I bet it's my router being a piece of shit, like usual then. I wasn't able to dump my DS game save with a flashcart over Wi-Fi, so I imagine whatever that issue was is the same thing preventing me from using this. Oh well...

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
How exactly works the overscan crop feature? I turned it on but can't get 4:3 or even a more stretched image. I'm using widescreen TV 16:9 aspect ratio.
I have the widescreen option (in Devo) off.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
in the loader's sources, the overscan is enabled if it detects the widescreen (from Wii setting, not the one inside the loader which is used to display more info on screen).

I guess the effect is not visible in all games (like he told in the sources/readme, some games are already doing it internally).
If I understand correctly, It should not fix 4:3 aspect ratio, it's used to stretch the picture to remove the added black bars around the picture which are added by the game to compensate TV overscan.
it's setting viWidth to 672/682/704 instead of 640?

edit:
could you tell me which game has overscan issue?
I want to do some tests.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
It said 32 pixels so it would be 672, I was once told by Vague Rant who was told by megazig and tueidj, that the Wii's video registers held this value and in Dolphin in debug mode you can figure out what a game is using by going to memory addr 0xCC002048, for most games they spell out like this: 28501000
The Game Boy Player uses 264C10EA, where 26*16 is the 608 wide framebuffer, the 1 meaning scaling is enabled and 608*256/0xEA is 665.5 which can be rounded to 666 as viWidth. The GBP is particularly different than most because of the square pixel correction it goes for, Paper Mario, Zelda FSA, and others also do this.

Perhaps what tueidj is doing is going to that address and forcing whatever the fourth byte is to get 672 on all games because like homebrew, every game would have a different location, some might not even have one at all(?)

could you tell me which game has overscan issue?

All of the Sonics, even the Wii Sonics do this in 4:3 mode.

Reactions: Cyan

OriginalHamster

UStealthy
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
No game I've tested had overscan issues (not even in previous Devo releases), is just I though with this feature we could get a closer 4:3 aspect ratio in widescreen displays, it seems it has another intention.

SuperrSonic

Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
I finally tried the horizontal stretching with USB Loader GX and it works really well on my TV, Melee now looks as wide as Brawl.
Kind of makes ya want d2x to be able to do that; for the early Wii games that didn't do stretching in 4:3 mode.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so I am using Devolution on my WiiU with a 32gb card and loaded up all my old faves. I am amazed at how good some of the stuff that had progressive 16x9 looks upscaled to 1080p. Also WiiU pro controller works awesome. I was having some trouble in a tricky part of Starfox adv so I went back to my Wii with wavebird and actually found it to be no better or more precise than the WiiU PC was. Nice. Nintendo are idiots for not having GC on WiiU VC yesterday because WiiU is the best way to play these old games short of emulator on a high end pc.

Anyhow I ripped all my own games with cleanrip on my wii to SD card and never tried to use an iso with a disc to verify. I ask this because I have a disc I can't get an image of but do have the disc and it will boot so would think it will pass the devolution disc check. Anyone ever try this and get it to work or is it not possible?

D

Deleted-353083

Thank you so much panmusic!!! It has been so friggen frustrating trying to get Luigi's Mansion to work on my Wii U. Again thank you!!! However... this still has the problem of the buttons not matching up correctly with an actual GameCube controller. It still has the Y equates to B and A equates to X or whatever it is. I LOVE the GameCube controller - in my opinion it is the best controller ever made for any console and i have the mayflash adapter. In other words i have everything working except that problem. Earlier today i found another thread where some guy created a version of Devolution called "Devolution CCBR_" where the buttons had been remapped properly... ie. pressing A on the GameCube controller equated to actually pressing A and pressing B equated to actually pressing B etc.

The only problem i had with that version was the god damn analog button problem but seeing as it is fixed here can one of you brilliant people PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE combine the two together?? That being a version of Devolution with the analog button problem fixed and the buttons remapped correctly for an actual GameCube controller. I would be very appreciative if someone could. Thanks.

Reactions: panmusic
D

Deleted-353083

Thanks for replying SuperSonic but i have Devolution on an sd card. If that will run through USB Loader GX then just let me know and i'm sure i'll figure it out... if not could you please explain how to remap the buttons in a sort of remapping-for-dummies way? I do know a little about this kind of stuff but am VERY far from calling myself experienced.

D

Deleted-353083

Ok SuperSonic it turns out that i can't figure it out :( I downloaded USBLoader_GX Version 3.0 and have tried everything i can but can't get GameCube games to show up. Help please. Am i actually running Devolution through USB_Loader or just running a GameCube game though USB_Loader?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
update the loader.
settings>Update (it will currently update to 1226)
or update manually (current revision 1231) link in my signature

Then, enable Gamecube game in the 4th icon in the top menu.

D

Deleted-353083

Done all that and still it doesn't even detect any GC games, i've found in the settings how to do that "d buttons" thing and also how to select other apps whilst in USB_Loader_GX... can i simply choose the d buttons and then select the Devolution app whilst in USB_Loader and it will work?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: These cotton candy grapes be pretty addictive