Hacking Devolution - Public Release

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Maxternal, I just tried out the mod and it works! Direct button mapping works as intended :)

I hope it's not too much to ask, but would it be possible to update the Wiiflow plugin to support this option?

Cool, I'll have to see if I can fix that one next then. I just went back and edited this version into all my previous posts about sample loader mods, too.

For future reference, the mod can also now be found in the "WiiFlow Apps and Plugins" thread in my sig.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I hope it's not too much to ask, but would it be possible to update the Wiiflow plugin to support this option?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/0109k3gk73ddc0c/Devolution-Plugin-r200.zip
Someone give this one a try. The options are set in the plugin INI file so you'll have to use one of these instead of the included ones in order to set direct button mapping
http://www.mediafire.com/download/xyy0rq5zf8h019g/Devolution - direct button mapping.zip
anyone who tries, let me know.

EDIT : fixed
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n3ndj5em0de0953/Devolution_Plugin_r200.zip

Empu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just updated to the latest revision so I could test games on my WiiU but now I have the problem that devo won't get past the black screen after selecting an ISO. Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime (both ripped with the latest cleanrip) are the games I have on my usb stick and neither of 'em work at all. I haven't changed a thing, I just deleted the gc_devo folder from within "apps" and copied over the new one (r200) and it won't ever ask for verification after selecting one of the two games, it just sits there on a black screen doing absolutely nothing. My wiimote won't sync to my console while this is happening, it's like the Wii itself is just stuck trying to do something but can't. Anyone got any clues?

echan42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I used a friends wii to verify the GC games I ripped and run them once each, when I got home and connected my SD, HD (with ISOS) and my wiimote to my WiiU the devolution launcher runs every game except for Mario Party 5 and Double Dash!
It keeps my wiimote light 1 blicking as if asking for the disc. Can Devolution save the game's "verification" anywhere except my wiimote? I double checked Mario Party and on my friend's wii it ran without the disc so I really don't know where I messed up

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just updated to the latest revision so I could test games on my WiiU but now I have the problem that devo won't get past the black screen after selecting an ISO. Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime (both ripped with the latest cleanrip) are the games I have on my usb stick and neither of 'em work at all. I haven't changed a thing, I just deleted the gc_devo folder from within "apps" and copied over the new one (r200) and it won't ever ask for verification after selecting one of the two games, it just sits there on a black screen doing absolutely nothing. My wiimote won't sync to my console while this is happening, it's like the Wii itself is just stuck trying to do something but can't. Anyone got any clues?

I just had a similar experience on my Wii U. I didn't delete anything and just hooked up my USB drive to my Wii U and got black screens. I wasn't sure if this was due to not having the correct wii mote sync on the Wii U.

It's not clear, are you trying to do this on your Wii or your Wii U? If you are upgrading to r200 you need to re-verify all your games on your old Wii and make sure you remember which wiimote controller is sync while you are doing this.

I would suggest to use the basic sample loader until you are sure it's all working to rule out the issue being caused by your USB loader. I also decided to use my SD card for Devolution because I hid the Wii U USB drive with Ustealth, to eliminate the nagging to format the drive in Wii U mode, and Devolution is not compatible with hidden partitions yet. One issue is the USB loaders like each game in a subfolder while the basic sample loader doesn't like subfolders.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used a friends wii to verify the GC games I ripped and run them once each, when I got home and connected my SD, HD (with ISOS) and my wiimote to my WiiU the devolution launcher runs every game except for Mario Party 5 and Double Dash!
It keeps my wiimote light 1 blicking as if asking for the disc. Can Devolution save the game's "verification" anywhere except my wiimote? I double checked Mario Party and on my friend's wii it ran without the disc so I really don't know where I messed up

Is it possible your wiimote died during the verification process? Were those the last 2 games you verified possibly?

I would guess you can probably still verify games with no wiimote connected but the verification would only be on that specific console. Try and take it back to your friends and see if those 2 games work on his console. If they do you can trigger reverification by holding the reset button when launching the game. Double check your same wiimote is connected while re-verifying and hopefully those games will work next time when you try it on your console. You may run in to an issue with that reset button timing if you are trying to use a USB loader that resets when pressing reset.

echan42

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is it possible your wiimote died during the verification process? Were those the last 2 games you verified possibly?

I would guess you can probably still verify games with no wiimote connected but the verification would only be on that specific console. Try and take it back to your friends and see if those 2 games work on his console. If they do you can trigger reverification by holding the reset button when launching the game. Double check your same wiimote is connected while re-verifying and hopefully those games will work next time when you try it on your console. You may run in to an issue with that reset button timing if you are trying to use a USB loader that resets when pressing reset.

It's the first two games I verified so I probably wan't doing it correctly, I ran exactly the same USB and SD card on both wiis so I didn't upgrade to r200 after verification or anything, as you say the most probably issue is not having the wiimote synced at the moment of loading the game... Thanks for the quick reply and the reset button trick, I'm currently only using the devolution sample loader since wiiflow is giving me a black screen on all games.

Isn't there any way to get my WiiU to verify these two GC games? dissasembly of the console or modifying the game aren't really an issue, wouldn't adapting a GC 8cm disc to 12cm make my wiiU verify the disc?

Empu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just had a similar experience on my Wii U. I didn't delete anything and just hooked up my USB drive to my Wii U and got black screens. I wasn't sure if this was due to not having the correct wii mote sync on the Wii U.

It's not clear, are you trying to do this on your Wii or your Wii U? If you are upgrading to r200 you need to re-verify all your games on your old Wii and make sure you remember which wiimote controller is sync while you are doing this.

I would suggest to use the basic sample loader until you are sure it's all working to rule out the issue being caused by your USB loader. I also decided to use my SD card for Devolution because I hid the Wii U USB drive with Ustealth, to eliminate the nagging to format the drive in Wii U mode, and Devolution is not compatible with hidden partitions yet. One issue is the USB loaders like each game in a subfolder while the basic sample loader doesn't like subfolders.

I'm talking about my Wii, not the WiiU. I know I need to re-verify in this new version and that's the issue I'm having here, since the Wii console just goes to black and the LED never starts blinking after selecting the ISO. Tried waiting a minute, then two, then five and absolutely nothing happens.
I've tried the sample loader and then Maxternal's mod, but both do the same thing.

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm talking about my Wii, not the WiiU. I know I need to re-verify in this new version and that's the issue I'm having here, since the Wii console just goes to black and the LED never starts blinking after selecting the ISO. Tried waiting a minute, then two, then five and absolutely nothing happens.
I've tried the sample loader and then Maxternal's mod, but both do the same thing.

Sounds really strange, the older version of devolution was working just fine? I can't think why the old one would work and not the new one if your console and memory device are in the same state. I would go back to the old one just to verify it still works and that something else didn't get screwed up.

Empu1

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Sounds really strange, the older version of devolution was working just fine? I can't think why the old one would work and not the new one if your console and memory device are in the same state. I would go back to the old one just to verify it still works and that something else didn't get screwed up.

Yes, as I had stated maaaaaaaaaany pages ago, I've used Devolution just fine with this usb stick before and even got the chance of adding a game or two to the compatibility list. Sadly, as I stated in my first post about this issue, I made the mistake of deleting my older version of Devo in favor of the new one so I can no longer test that one at the moment. Will probably just have to search around for a link to an older version and see if dumping my games again solves the issue.

megatokyo500

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really? You think it's useless to check if the SD/USB is being found/FAT partition is mounted/iso file is opened/memcard is opened/.DVV file is created/apploader is run?

Etheboss

Official LULWUT supporter
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You can see that also without the logging, the flashes on the wii drive led tells you whats wrong, and obviously you can check if the files are created.
Again, and the dev of devolution said that too, the logging is only usefull for him for troubleshooting problems with games, because he has the sourcecode.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
You can see that also without the logging, the flashes on the wii drive led tells you whats wrong, and obviously you can check if the files are created.
Again, and the dev of devolution said that too, the logging is only usefull for him for troubleshooting problems with games, because he has the sourcecode.

unfortunately, wii u has no drive light :(

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw