Hacking Devolution - Public Release

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi, I have a black Wii with no GC ports on it - what would be my best option for playing my GC games? To use Devolution, would I need an older Wii as well to rip the games?

If you mean controller-wise, then you can try a Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro to play them on a black Wii.
Although, I don't recall if the Black Wiis didn't have the compatibility to read NGC games, in such case, you would have to verify the games in an older Wii using your Wiimote and then go back to your Black Wii.

Si_442

Trophies
XP
Country
I meant both really, best/easiest option to play GC games, and controller wise. I have classic controllers though as well as 4 GC pads which are useless now (old flatmate had the original white Wii). Got all the game discs except MK: DD, no problem I thought until I saw it's still selling for about £20...!

d4mation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC, you can use an adapter to make the GC games full-size and verify them that way. However, if you can find a way to access an older Wii it could be simpler and more reliable to just do it that way.

MassiveRican

GBATemp's Unofficial Vigilante
Trophies
XP
Country
There is a disc expander adapter accessory that u can place the GC disc into and as long as u have one of the models that allows discs to be read you could actually rip discs. There's also a way to open the Wii and bend a tab or something, there's guides out there if u want to go that route.

Although my bet is if u have access to an older Wii model from friends or family, that would be the most secure way to guarantee your rip and use on Wii U. You will of course need a wiimote to verify the games and a classic controller or PS3 controller to play the games.

Atlas22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sort of request for relaxation on anti-piracy, any chance you would allow verfication on cross region titles. Example I own pso episode 1 and 2 and episode 3 both ntsc u and ntsc j but I am in a pal territory, now in the past on the gc this did not matter since free loader on a pal wii outout perfect rgb pal 60. The wii on the other hand with devolution out puts a red screen on rgb. I'm asking if you allow verification of a pal iso with an ntsc disc. I admit I am being lazy and not checking if I can alter the iso by trplacing the app loadercand dol with a pal one after verfication.

But to be blatenly honest, I've paid sega enough money and well while I am on the subject I don't even believe pso should even be included in the AP. The publisher and creator have no intention of rereleasing these games since they where tied to sub fees and a server they will never bother to re host. They also gave the client away free subseqently both with xbox live and as psobb. Anyway my ap rant over you nazi ;)

- Lee co admin schtserv.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got an update regarding an earlier discovery I made regarding copying partitions via Gparted.

It turns out that you can do the following process to make a backup of your verification files that should work on any USB drive regardless of size, though obviously it'll still only work on your own Wii system. This is mainly for people that have Wii systems with dead disc drives and therefore cannot re-verify their games without access to a second Wii.

1. Backup any data from your Wii's USB drive that you want to keep.
  2. Manually delete (not format!) everything on your Wii's USB drive except USB:\\Apps\gc_devo
  3. (optional). Delete everything in USB:\\Apps\gc_devo except any and all files ending with the file extension .DVV (they're hidden by default in Windows).
  4. Use a program like Gparted to resize the FAT32 partition that contains the .DVV files to 257 MB.
  5. Use a program like CloneZilla to clone or backup the newly-resized 257 MB partition (only the partition, not the entire disk!) to an image file or similar.
  6. Store the newly-created image file of your partition backup in a safe place.

Now in the future when you want to use a different USB drive just to the following:
  1. Find your image file containing your backed-up FAT32 partition.
  2. Using the program you used above in step 5, restore the image file to your new USB drive.
  3. Resize the newly-restored FAT32 partition to your desired size, such as the full size the new USB drive.
  4. Recopy your GameCube games and Wii homebrew into the newly-restored FAT32 partition.
  5. Plug your new USB drive into your Wii and enjoy your GameCube games without needing to re-verify.

I have not tested it yet, but you may even be able to restore the partition image of a USB drive onto an SD card without needing to reverify any GC games; this would be particularly useful for Wii U owners since Devolution does not currently support hidden partitions.

Reactions: d4mation

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got an update regarding an earlier discovery I made regarding copying partitions via Gparted.

It turns out that you can do the following process to make a backup of your verification files that should work on any USB drive regardless of size, though obviously it'll still only work on your own Wii system. This is mainly for people that have Wii systems with dead disc drives and therefore cannot re-verify their games without access to a second Wii.

1. Backup any data from your Wii's USB drive that you want to keep.
  2. Manually delete (not format!) everything on your Wii's USB drive except USB:\\Apps\gc_devo
  3. (optional). Delete everything in USB:\\Apps\gc_devo except any and all files ending with the file extension .DVV (they're hidden by default in Windows).
  4. Use a program like Gparted to resize the FAT32 partition that contains the .DVV files to 257 MB.
  5. Use a program like CloneZilla to clone or backup the newly-resized 257 MB partition (only the partition, not the entire disk!) to an image file or similar.
  6. Store the newly-created image file of your partition backup in a safe place.

Now in the future when you want to use a different USB drive just to the following:
  1. Find your image file containing your backed-up FAT32 partition.
  2. Using the program you used above in step 5, restore the image file to your new USB drive.
  3. Resize the newly-restored FAT32 partition to your desired size, such as the full size the new USB drive.
  4. Recopy your GameCube games and Wii homebrew into the newly-restored FAT32 partition.
  5. Plug your new USB drive into your Wii and enjoy your GameCube games without needing to re-verify.

I have not tested it yet, but you may even be able to restore the partition image of a USB drive onto an SD card without needing to reverify any GC games; this would be particularly useful for Wii U owners since Devolution does not currently support hidden partitions.
I do believe you've just happened across the big AP break that Wii U owners have been waiting for! Now, should someone with a spare HDD be so inclined, they could verify their games, back up the devo files as you've described, and then pass it on to the next guy, so on and so forth, until the collection is complete (or at least every game that is worth caring about). Now Wii U owners don't need to own every game they want to play with devo!

I love it!

Reactions: MassiveRican

intermet

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I do believe you've just happened across the big AP break that Wii U owners have been waiting for! Now, should someone with a spare HDD be so inclined, they could verify their games, back up the devo files as you've described, and then pass it on to the next guy, so on and so forth, until the collection is complete (or at least every game that is worth caring about). Now Wii U owners don't need to own every game they want to play with devo!

I love it!
that should work on any USB drive regardless of size, though obviously it'll still only work on your own Wii system.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
intermet Not being rude, what is your point? It will still work on the VWii of any Wii U, would it not?
HIs point is exactly that. it won't work on anybody's vWii nor anybody's Wii. It will still only work with the console or wiimotes it was originally verified with. The only point of this process is to back up your verification and not have to redo your whole collection when switching physical drives.

drakorex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
HIs point is exactly that. it won't work on anybody's vWii nor anybody's Wii. It will still only work with the console or wiimotes it was originally verified with. The only point of this process is to back up your verification and not have to redo your whole collection when switching physical drives.
Bleh, forgot about the wiimotes. So even if you wanna use a ps3 or wiiu pro controller, the wimote has to be activated. Unless somebody comes up with a way to copy the id of one wiimote to another...*frowny faces*

d4mation

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I can't say I understand the transferring of verification using Wiimotes too well as I haven't done it, but wouldn't transferring the verification make the games then work on the new system? Or would you absolutely always have to have the Wiimote to load the game as a sort of "key"? I understood it as a "Use the Wiimote once to verify, then you're good" kind of situation.

Nintendo Maniac

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do believe you've just happened across the big AP break that Wii U owners have been waiting for!

The only way this could be a big break would be if there was some way to replicate and spoof a wiimote. I have absolutely no experience in that area, so I cannot say anything about it.

Really the main reason I did this was because it seemed like Murphy's Law always happened to me whenever I wanted to take my Wii somewhere, therefore forcing me to re-verify all 28 of my GC games the night before. I've done this like 4 times now, and I'm really getting sick of staying up late re-verifying my discs and not getting my sleep for when I have to leave early the next day! (I sleep like at least 9 hours a night)

Also it makes me feel better in the rare chance that both my Wii disc drive and my USB drive fail. (though honestly the only time I've actually used my disc drive in the last couple years is for Devolution's disc verification)

Oh random fact, the component output on my Wii actually isn't shorted out, it works just fine. So yay for that, but boo for my TV using a single plug for both the yellow composite and the green component and requiring the user to go into the menu and toggle an option between the two. (I need the composite for my N64 and my parents use it for VCRs)

Kusanagi64

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tried to link up my Wii with my Gamecube through Mario Kart's LAN mode but unfortunately I realized that only the Modem Adapter is simulated (which gets me online with PSO, so thank you very much for that! :D)... I just found out about all this today and it's working like a charm. Reason I am bumping up this thread (probably) is because I would LOVE to see broadband adapter support.

We had Mario Kart LAN Parties in the past (you can search on YouTube with the keywords "Mario Kart LAN Party") and now that more people own a Wii than a Gamecube, I was really hoping we could link up Cubes and Wii systems all together and have some great times again like back then...

So my question basically is: is the Gamecube Broadband Adapter still going to be supported?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Finally got my hands on the last NGC game I was missing.
I got Luigi's Mansion and was quite happy I didn't have any problems verifying that game at all.

Only this is that the button mapping for the Controller Pro is a little odd...
Whenever I try to use the Poltergust 3000, the shoulder button doesn't make anything at all.
Only when I press the button L is that the Poltergust starts sucking, but it stays enabled until I hit L again.
Is really odd and gets a while to get used to, but certainly seems a little off.

Is there a way to button map a game or what other options do I have for another control playing through a Wii U that's not a Wii U Controller or a CCP?

bobmcjr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally got my hands on the last NGC game I was missing.
I got Luigi's Mansion and was quite happy I didn't have any problems verifying that game at all.

Only this is that the button mapping for the Controller Pro is a little odd...
Whenever I try to use the Poltergust 3000, the shoulder button doesn't make anything at all.
Only when I press the button L is that the Poltergust starts sucking, but it stays enabled until I hit L again.
Is really odd and gets a while to get used to, but certainly seems a little off.

Is there a way to button map a game or what other options do I have for another control playing through a Wii U that's not a Wii U Controller or a CCP?
The only controller that handles Luigi's Mansion properly under devo is a real Gamecube controller on a regular Wii. You have to use the right stick for L/R by pressing ZL. Otherwise you can't even do the elemental attacks.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Can anyone tell me if the regular Wii Classic Controlle (which I think has analog triggers) works with Devolution and without issues with NGC titles?

Also, I want to know if Third Party Wii U controllers are compatible with Devolution, since I've heard that some of them do include Analog Triggers:
http://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/Pro-Commander-and-Charge-Base-Pro/Item4074.aspx

If the Nyko Pro Commander controller is compatible, then it would be the best option to play the NGC games from Devolution, that is of course, if the author of Devolution has included that controller and a proper mapping for it to work with Wii U controllers with Analog Triggers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs