Detecting a NDS on a network

Discussion in 'NDS - Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection' started by Filter, Dec 3, 2008.

Dec 3, 2008

Detecting a NDS on a network by Filter at 4:59 PM (1,293 Views / 0 Likes) 5 replies

1. Filter
    OP

Member Filter GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Say you have a unsecured wireless network at school and I connect to it via NDS say I send a e-mail or something through that connection via NDS. Could the network admin know that it was a NDS that used the connection to do something or can they not tell it apart from a laptop?

Basically does it have a mac address like a NIC does? Can they find out it came from a NDS or will they be clueless?

Just to be clear I am not doing anything against the rules of the school or illegal I just always wondered this.

2. Deathmore

Member Deathmore GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    They will know that it's not a computer. They wont know it's a DS though since the DS does not have name and will appear as UNKOWN. If you asked the school then it's totally fine. Just ask the IT technicians

3. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    Actually it does say "Nintendo DS" in the client listing of the router. It does on my Linksys router anyway. You have to login to the router and look at it though.

4. budrow66

Member budrow66 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    When I set my network up every DS I hook up shows Nintendo DS on my router also.

5. Cyan

Global Moderator Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

France
    The Mac adress is registered and can easily be checked here to match a nintendo hardware, of course if the admin keeps transfer logs.

I don't know new DS's Mac, maybe they share the same range with Wii.
    But the Wii sends a lot more informations while online, so he can know with that too (if it's a Wii or a DS).

6. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

I doubt they'll care about it.