Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The tablet is still being sold.
The original version, and it's no longer being manufactured, it's just the old stock being sold.
Nvidia was talking about an upgrade coming out, but all talk stopped when they announced the partnership with Nintendo on the Switch.
Which makes sense because the Switch is basically the Shield Tablet with different controllers.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So just to be clear, should i be mad at nintendo or nvidia? Nintendo has the switch coming out, and nvidia disappointed me, but everyone saying that nvidia disappointment was cause of nintendo switch.... so i'm conflicted. I NEED SOMEONE TO DIRECT MY RANTS AT. *Stares at random panda above text box* I don't want a NDS flash cart right now. I have NDS wii injections. :hateit:

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The original version, and it's no longer being manufactured, it's just the old stock being sold.
Nvidia was talking about an upgrade coming out, but all talk stopped when they announced the partnership with Nintendo on the Switch.
Which makes sense because the Switch is basically the Shield Tablet with different controllers.
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/01/live_blog_watch_nvidias_ces_2017_keynote_address_-_live
This is from today's NVIDIA's CES

It seems the video still isn't on youtube, but scroll to the part:

"21:10

New Shield being shown, with 'full 4K' and HDR support"

Last edited by Olmectron,

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Nope, old stock sold out sometime last year. See the Shield forums for reference. The tablet has since been re-stocked.

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe Nintendo has a (timed) exclusive license for the new pascal SoC, so Nvidia had to re-use the old X1 SoC for this.
If this is the case, it might make up for the Shield TV rehash. But if it's more of a non compete claus that limits the Shield, and the Switch still uses the X1, I'm going to be real upset with both companies.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If this is the case, it might make up for the Shield TV rehash. But if it's more of a non compete claus that limits the Shield, and the Switch still uses the X1, I'm going to be real upset with both companies.
X1 is a maxwell SoC. Nvidia's blog talked about a pascal SoC in the Switch. So nope, Switch doesn't use X1.

Reactions: gman666

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Nope, old stock sold out sometime last year. See the Shield forums for reference. The tablet has since been re-stocked.
Ah, so it is.

I was referring to this:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nvidia-drops-shield-tablet-successor-as-nintendo-nx-looms/
(and other articles I can't be arsed to look for at the moment)

They had plans to release an upgraded version / successor, but cancelled when they announced their partnership with Nintendo on the Switch.
Which would have made sense because the products would have been in direct competition.
But now the latest rumors say the Switch will have lower specs than the original Shield Tablet, so they're still in direct competition.

But either way, my point was, the Shield TV is a different product that does not compete directly with the Switch, so there's no conflict in releasing a new model at this time.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Ah, so it is.

I was referring to this:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nvidia-drops-shield-tablet-successor-as-nintendo-nx-looms/
(and other articles I can't be arsed to look for at the moment)

They had plans to release an upgraded version / successor, but cancelled when they announced their partnership with Nintendo on the Switch.
Which would have made sense because the products would have been in direct competition.
But now the latest rumors say the Switch will have lower specs than the original Shield Tablet, so they're still in direct competition.

There were also rumors of a Shield Portable successor. These rumors come from documents pointing to new nvidia products and benchmark scores from unknown Nvidia devices. I think a hardware company is always making hardware prototypes for evaluation. Doesn't necessarily mean they will end up in production.

But either way, my point was, the Shield TV is a different product that does not compete directly with the Switch, so there's no conflict in releasing a new model at this time.

The Switch may have a display, but it's advertised as a home gaming console first, and a portable console second. So yes, I would say the Shield TV competes with the Switch.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The Switch may have a display, but it's advertised as a home gaming console first, and a portable console second. So yes, I would say the Shield TV competes with the Switch.
All of the (limited) marketing we've seen so far places an emphasis on the portability angle (especially in the reveal video). The Shield TV target market overlaps with a part of the Switch target market, but the Shield Tablet and the Switch are basically the same thing and are in direct competition.

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
All of the (limited) marketing we've seen so far places an emphasis on the portability angle (especially in the reveal video). The Shield TV target market overlaps with a part of the Switch target market, but the Shield Tablet and the Switch are basically the same thing and are in direct competition.
The Shield Tablet is cumbersome to use as a gaming console and its battery drains faster than you can charge it during gameplay. You can't play with it over long periods. Switch (supposedly) doesn't have these problems and neither the Shield TV. The marketing of the Switch of course showed off the portability aspect, because else it would have been boring and "just another Nintendo console". It's just marketing. I predict people who buy the Switch will use it docked to the TV more than use it portable, especially if the rumors are true that games perform worse when the Switch is undocked. But yeah, lets say we agree to disagree :)

Reactions: Veho

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The Shield Tablet is cumbersome to use as a gaming console and its battery drains faster than you can charge it during gameplay. You can't play with it over long periods. Switch (supposedly) doesn't have these problems and neither the Shield TV.
I'm guessing the Shield TV doesn't have problems with the battery life or portability because it's not portable :ha: and we don't know if the Switch will or won't have the same type of problems with the battery. Shield tablet reviews say the battery lasts around 4 hours when gaming on the go, and the way Nintendo's handhelds are going that's the battery life we can expect from the Switch as well :hateit:

The marketing of the Switch of course showed off the portability aspect, because else it would have been boring and "just another Nintendo console". It's just marketing. I predict people who buy the Switch will use it docked to the TV more than use it portable, especially if the rumors are true that games perform worse when the Switch is undocked. But yeah, lets say we agree to disagree :)
According to extensive market research ( :ph34r: ) 46% of the people see the Switch as a portable console, while 29% think of it as primarily a home console (25% see it as a banana; market research is not an exact science). It remains to be seen how Nintendo and game developers will treat it, and I would not put it past Nintendo to release a home-only box at a later time, which would be a competitor to the Switch TV, but from the replies and comments (and if we ignore the banana fetishists), two thirds of the market think it's a portable console (and will use it as one) and don't compare it to the Shield TV. Of course this is massively unreliable but it supports my view so I'm sticking with it :ph34r:

Predicting anything is a mug's game and we won't know until it happens. I've stated my reasoning and you've stated yours, so I will agree to disagree and we'll wait and see :)

Reactions: WiiUBricker

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My stepdad was personally working on the CPU going inside the Switch, as well as the new Shield TV. It's confirmed coming, I just don't know when. I don't live with him, I saw him on Christmas when he told me about the new Shield TV. His NDA won't let him peep a word about the switch though, sadly...
While I have no reason to doubt you and you're probably telling the truth, "My uncle works at Nintendo"

WiiUBricker

News Police
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Here's the video
Well according to the specs only the regular 16GB Shield TV has been "updated" as in it was made smaller and there is no more an sd card slot and microUSB port. The 500 GB Shield TV Pro is literally the same. No reason at all for existing Shield owners to "upgrade".

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it's official now. A Shield TV with 4k HDR and Amazon video support. From the looks of it though, it does appear that the new Shield will use the same X1 SoC from the old Shield. Well there goes the Dolphin machine.

Dolphin runs pretty well on the X1, believe it or not, many games already run full speed on it, so...IDK what to tell ya lol.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hardly surprising. I didn't think that Nvidia's partnership with Nintendo would mean the end of any new standalone Nvidia products.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
While I have no reason to doubt you and you're probably telling the truth, "My uncle works at Nintendo"
My stepdad works at Nvidia Labs here in Oregon, and is a chip engineer. He was given a Shield Portable (retail unit) as a " thank you" for working on the project. He was part of the Tegra 4 dev team.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.