Dell or HP?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Harsky, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Harsky
    OP

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    My cousin is going to university and asked for my advice on what laptop to get. I was stumped. She's studying to be a nurse so she'll need one to do some typing, do internet browsing, listen music and watch movies so she won't need one of those really expensive machines. She also says the looks for a laptop isn't important which means pretty much all the cheap laptops suit her but I just don't know which one has the best track record for being reliable so I don't have to keep rushing to help her. Dell or HP came to mind but which one has the best reliability?

2. Javacat

Javacat GBAtemp Fan

Jul 27, 2007
    My personal choice would probably be with a Dell, although you really can't go wrong with a HP. Do you have your eye on any particular models? I've got a Dell M1330 and love it. It's sexeh, light and feels quite strong.
    If looks really aren't important I've heard that the Dell Vostros are nice strong machines, whilst being reasonably specd and cheap.

3. dinofan01

dinofan01 Misses the old days...

Jul 4, 2008
    United States
    I have a dell right now and its fine. I had a HP before and it wasnt the best experience for me. Juts was too slow.

4. rhyguy

rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 21, 2007
    Melbourne
    Dells have really good warranties.

I broke the buttons on my monitor and they sent a new one without any charge

5. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    I would also recommend Dell, I've had a much better experience with Dells than with HPs.

6. seedvt

seedvt GBAtemp Regular

Mar 19, 2008
    Canada
    Vancouver, BC
    I wouldn't normally recommend Dells for my best choice.. but if it's only one of the two, Dell for sure.

HP build quality is terrible as is their service.

7. kikuchiyo

kikuchiyo 大阪に生まれた男

Jan 6, 2004
    United States
    USA
    I'd recommend Toshiba, if you're getting a laptop, or Lenevo, the current maker of IBM's old line of machines.

8. Sjaool

Sjaool Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2007
    Netherlands
    Noordoostpolder
    I'd recommend a Dell. HP can be a real pain in the *ss.

I own a Dell C600 (2001/P3 750 Mhz/512 MB/40 GB) and it's still working fine.

9. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    um neither? dell is no longer a top competitor in the market. eh id go toshiba.

10. alltooamorous

alltooamorous Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 17, 2008
    United States
    USA
    Laptop-wise, I'd probably go with a Dell. But I really hate Dells, cheap parts and terrible customer service. If you can, try to go with another brand.

11. Bishang

Bishang GBAtemp Regular

May 31, 2008
    United States
    Kent, WA
    For college, I've always thought of getting a MacBook.

I wouldn't suggest HP. I hear that whenever you need a new part, you have to get a particular one or it won't work as well as it did. I had an HP desktop whose power supply messed up so I had to get a new one. After that, anytime I connect something through a usb port it would always have an error then slow down my comp. I'm not sure if it was the new power supply or if the guy who fixed it didn't put everything back correctly.

12. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    ya forget wat i said earlier. go mac.

13. AshuraZro

AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Feb 21, 2004
    Canada
    Saskatchewan
    Yeah, because that's a cheap solution for generic computer use! A laptop that starts at $1150 (CAN)!

14. lookout

lookout GBAtemp Board Room

Aug 16, 2006
    United Kingdom
    Why DELL or HP? ~ go for Asus EEE 10" or MSI Wind...

15. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
    Do not buy HP.

Reason for edit: HP sucks ass.

16. GN-001 Exia

GN-001 Exia Banned

Banned
    Apr 1, 2008
    United States
  17. da_head

da_head A dying dream..

Apr 7, 2008
    Canada
    Toronto, Canader!
    neither. asus [​IMG]

well obviously, she doesn't seem to be into hardcore gaming, so a toshiba would do just fine. it's practically one of the cheapest name brands, and i've had mine for like 2 yrs (using it for hours every day) and no problems with it yet.

but to answer your question, i think an hp would do just fine.

18. Urza

Urza hi

Jul 18, 2007
    United States
  19. DeMoN

DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

May 12, 2004
    United States
  20. fenthwick

fenthwick GBAtemp Regular

Jun 4, 2007
    My sis just boutght a tabletlaptop from HP and it crashes all the time. She has to return it for repairs/replacement and that's not so good for here when she's leaving home to study in an other country.

I have a dell xps m1730 and the service is much better there as dell sells the laptops themselves, thus, you don't have to contact the store before you get told afterwards that you need to talk to HP.

Oh I hope dell gets the mini to sweden as I can't wait for that sexy thing [​IMG]