0ddity

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
So my wife bought a Dell XPS back in 2007, top of the line at the time. It had two hard-drive failures, and a network card and bluetooth die, so Dell replaced the entire thing since she also bought the extended service warranty. A couple months ago, out of the blue, my logitech wireless mouse just stopped working. Whenever it's plugged in, Windows just spammed a device not recognized error. We bitched to dell, and they sent a service tech out to our house and replaced the motherboard on the new laptop, because it appeared to be a USB host-controller failure. We tried plugging it in again, and same thing. So I formatted, and put a clean install of Windows on, and same thing. I contacted logitech, but they said it must be an issue with our computer, because the mouse works on another laptop that has XP on it, but Dell refuses to do anything because they said they've already fixed the issue by replacing the mobo. So wth, is it the mouse, or the computer? Who do I complain to next?

purechaos996

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm going to say its the mouse. Sounds like maybe a driver issue or maybe its just effed up.

EDIT: Maybe your USB port is fried. have you tried another port?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Replacing the motherboard and reinstalling Windows both didn't work, yet the mouse works on a laptop...? To me it sounds like either a bad Logitech install (if you used it) or bad drivers (which would make it Microsoft's fault), but it shouldn't be the former since I've had years of good experience with them on every OS since 98, and it shouldn't be the latter since you reinstalled Windows with no change.

The best thing I can think of is what worked earlier today for a PS2 keyboard - uninstall the driver, reboot the computer then let Windows automatically reinstall it. Also make sure you're using the USB ports on the back of the motherboard, not on the case. And make sure the USB connection is clean (no dirt). After that, if it doesn't work, try downloading the Logitech application for it. If it still doesn't work... either the USB controller again (unlikely) or the mouse transceiver is at fault.

0ddity

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
purechaos996 said:
I'm going to say its the mouse. Sounds like maybe a driver issue or maybe its just effed up.

EDIT: Maybe your USB port is fried. have you tried another port?
Tried it on both USB ports, same error. When it first started happening, no other USB devices worked either, but after the mobo/OS replacements, everything but the mouse started working.

Joe88 said:
actually it sounds like microsofts problem
There's nothing I could find in the knowledge base about the error.

QUOTE(Originality @ Oct 6 2010, 06:17 PM)
Replacing the motherboard and reinstalling Windows both didn't work, yet the mouse works on a laptop...? To me it sounds like either a bad Logitech install (if you used it) or bad drivers (which would make it Microsoft's fault), but it shouldn't be the former since I've had years of good experience with them on every OS since 98, and it shouldn't be the latter since you reinstalled Windows with no change.

The best thing I can think of is what worked earlier today for a PS2 keyboard - uninstall the driver, reboot the computer then let Windows automatically reinstall it. Also make sure you're using the USB ports on the back of the motherboard, not on the case. And make sure the USB connection is clean (no dirt). After that, if it doesn't work, try downloading the Logitech application for it. If it still doesn't work... either the USB controller again (unlikely) or the mouse transceiver is at fault.

It doesn't work on my laptop with Windows 7, but it works on another laptop with XP. There are no USB ports in the back, there's only two and they're on the side (it's a laptop.) I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, for both the mouse and USB host controller. Until after it started acting up, I never used the OEM drivers, just default windows ones.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Oh, the XPS laptop edition. I missed that detail in your first post. Then it's probably bad Windows 7 drivers. Did you check to make sure that particular Logitech mouse is compatible with Windows Vista/7? I know some of the older ones are not, and some need the Logitech program to make them work.

My wireless trapball mouse from Logitech works fairly well in any computer or laptop, but the Logitech program is needed to calibrate it properly (and tell it which direction is actually up).

0ddity

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Originality said:
Oh, the XPS laptop edition. I missed that detail in your first post. Then it's probably bad Windows 7 drivers. Did you check to make sure that particular Logitech mouse is compatible with Windows Vista/7? I know some of the older ones are not, and some need the Logitech program to make them work.

My wireless trapball mouse from Logitech works fairly well in any computer or laptop, but the Logitech program is needed to calibrate it properly (and tell it which direction is actually up).

Well, the mouse worked perfect for a year with no issues, so I don't see how it can be a driver issue, unless some Windows update broke the drivers. After it stopped working, I tried the official drivers, still doesn;t work.

This is the mouse I have, says Win 7 compatible:
http://www.logitech.com/en-ca/mice-pointer...ce/devices/3295

QUOTE(DarthTheufel @ Oct 7 2010, 05:14 AM) Can't you simply buy a different mouse for $3 and try that?
Not really, right now I live about 2 hours from the nearest tech store, and I shouldn't have to buy a mouse when the one I have is supposed to work.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Wow, small world. I just came home after fixing problems with two computers - one having problems with sounds, the other having problems with a PS/2 keyboard whilst that specific mouse is plugged in.

The problem with the keyboard turned out to be due to a BIOS clash, where the presence of a USB input device (that mouse) makes it ignore any PS/2 input devices. A temporary fix is to disable and re-enable the keyboard every time it's turned on, but there's no reason why anyone should have to. This is on Windows XP, and reinstalling XP doesn't fix it because it's a problem with BIOS itself. Gigabtye know about it, but never released a new BIOS version to fix it. The best bet for them is simply to get a USB keyboard.

Unfortunately knowing that doesn't help your case, since the cause seems different.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Were actually bots