Hacking deleting emuNAND partition

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so here's a good question, I've upgraded and moved my emuNAND to another SD card of the larger size, how would I delete the partition on the old SD card?

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
If you want to mantain your sysnand installed content, backup the Nintendo 3DS folder, than format the SD with SD formatter.

Then copy back the Nintendo 3SD folder on the SD. If your sysnand and Emunand where unlinked, you'll have to delete one of the two folder inside the Nintendo 3DS one. You have to find yourself which one is the good one, but if you delete the wrong one you still have the backup ;)

If you want only an empty SD, simply format it with SD Formatter.

blinkzane

Panic at your moms house
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want to mantain your sysnand installed content, backup the Nintendo 3DS folder, than format the SD with SD formatter.

Then copy back the Nintendo 3SD folder on the SD. If your sysnand and Emunand where unlinked, you'll have to delete one of the two folder inside the Nintendo 3DS one. You have to find yourself which one is the good one, but if you delete the wrong one you still have the backup ;)

If you want only an empty SD, simply format it with SD Formatter.

I've done all this and I still have that extra gig or so that it wont format. I have a 32GB SD card and normally formatted it's left with about 30gb but now it's at a little above 28GB

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've done all this and I still have that extra gig or so that it wont format. I have a 32GB SD card and normally formatted it's left with about 30gb but now it's at a little above 28GB

Other options could be:
  • use a partition tool and remove all the partitions on your SD
  • Use a Hex Editor and write all 0 (zeros) in the first sector
Than format again with SD formatter.

Reactions: blinkzane

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also thanks guys, I wasn't sure if partition managers could read the gateway partition or not.

Correctly speaking the emunand isn't in a partition, but in an unallocated space of the SD.

For a Partitioning tool it's only empty space. Wipe out the main partition and for the PC the SD will be empty and unpartitioned.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sky3DS DiskWriter also has an option to restore the SD card partition to its full size.
I don't know if it's only working on Sky3DS formated card, or if it works with all SD.
It might be setting the end sector instead of reallocating the full SD size. someone tried that option?

You can also use win32 DiskImager to flash a file (3DS ROM or anything else) to the SD card. It's in fact writting from sector 0 and not from partition's first sector. So it's deleting the MBR and windows will ask you to reformat the card next time you connect it.

but if you have easus, or any other partition tool it's fine too.

IpsoFact0

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so anyone find a easy way to do this? i have a 64gb sd i want to completely erase the emunnand partition can't figure out how to do it.

shinji257

Trophies
Website
www.elite-systems.org
XP
Country
United States
Command line diskpart tool in Windows can do this as well via the clean command.

WARNING: The clean command wipes the entire partition table. Be absolutely certain that you selected the right disk. The command is irreversible and takes effect as soon as you hit enter.

Reactions: Deleted User

xErwin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
download SD Formatter
run SD Formatter
click options
change format type to full (erase)
format
done!

izy

Advanced Tech Pleb
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Correctly speaking the emunand isn't in a partition, but in an unallocated space of the SD.

For a Partitioning tool it's only empty space. Wipe out the main partition and for the PC the SD will be empty and unpartitioned.
the technical term for the unallocated space on the SD which is a partition (which when you make an emunand allocates data) its just read differently its not really unallocated

xErwin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
download SD Formatter
run SD Formatter
click options
change format type to full (erase)
format
done!

nop90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
the technical term for the unallocated space on the SD which is a partition (which when you make an emunand allocates data) its just read differently its not really unallocated

Information Technology is not an opinion, it relies on protocols.

A partition must be 'allocated', that means declared in the MBR, and the space used in the emunand is not declared as a partition. This is a fact.

It's always possible to write things on unallocated space on disk, but the OS isn't aware of it.

It's like a chapter not listed in the index of a book, there is something written inside it but looking at the index you can't know that chapter exist.

So technically speaking the space used for the emunand is not allocated.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte