Delay in Gamecube Emulation in vWii

Discussion in 'Wii U - Emulation & CEMU' started by Vorde, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Vorde
    OP

Vorde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    Hello,
    I tried doing this in the past with Nintendon't and it seemed to work. Was quite the novelty.
    Thing is, even when connected to a CRT, there was a considerable amount of input lag that was easily noticed. I'm sure when it comes to playing Super Smash Bros this isn't a set up that would be considered viable, but has anyone noticed if the input lag has been lessened over the years?
    It would be nice to have one more setup for Gamecube titles :)

PS. I know it's technically not emulation and more like adaptation to force the Wii side to run compliant similar code since the Wii was basically an overclocked updated Gamecube (ATI card and same CPU architecture)

2. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron
    VinsCool is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Depending of what controller/adapter you use, some will have noticeable lag compared to other.

3. Vorde
    OP

Vorde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    The Nintendo branded WiiU gamecube adapter. Go official or go home :P

4. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Just as I though. Due to the HID protocol, and the signal being passed to USB, in a box allowing 4 controllers, there will be unavoidable lag, I'm afraid there will always be lag.

KiiWii likes this.
  5. Vorde
    OP

Vorde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    NUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!~ Okay :( Even if it's only got 1 controller connected, it's always accounting for another controller at all times eh?

6. VinsCool

VinsCool Delusional

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2014
    Canada
    Another World
    Well what I meant was that first the controler sends signal, then is proceded by the adapter, to finally go to USB where Nintendont proceds the input signal. Because of this architecture, lag is unavoidable.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The best way to know for sure if that's the problem would be to play Smash 4 and see if the lag still occurs there.

8. Vorde
    OP

Vorde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    Except not because Smash4 has a 7 frame buffer on all button inputs... cuz you know... good game creation 101 -rolls eyes-

PS. Sorry if you're a smash4 fan, I've been spoiled/ruined by Melee

Last edited by Vorde, Oct 28, 2016
  9. castdreams

castdreams Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 31, 2016
    United States
    Midwest USA
    I can still Multishine when playing Melee on Nintendont, so the input delay can't be THAT bad. I do notice that sometimes it'll start to drop inputs when you've got multiple controllers plugged in, though. Honestly if you're wanting to play Melee on an HDTV, you're way better off playing on Dolphin.

TotalInsanity4 and Vorde like this.
  10. Vorde
    OP

Vorde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    Personally I would never play Melee on an HDTV, just WiiU to CRT but I will try this out eventually.
    PS. Have you had the chance to check out Fastermelee? It's a dolphin build that's specifically optimized for melee and it runs the game much much faster

11. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    someone wants to play ssbm competively on a wiiu connected to a crt ... my first question is why do you even have an wiiu? lol having a wiiu connected to a crt looks like total crap, you should just use your wii or gc, i see no reason to even have a wiiu to play ssbm on a crt tv lol.

Vorde likes this.
  12. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    What if you have a Sun GDM-90W10? :V (24", 1920x1200, VGA and DB13W3 inputs)

I actually did try hooking up the Wii U to this monitor, and it seems the Wii U's modelines past "480p" aren't quite compatible with CRTs, even though the frequencies are correct. "1080p" showed noticeable artifacting on the sides (similar to using a "reduced blanking" mode on a CRT) and flickered out if the screen was too bright. Oh well.

13. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    GameCube & Wii on Wii U and GameBoy Advance & DSi on 3DS have a 21.67 ms delay between rendering and drawing to the screen, caused by hardware.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  14. huma_dawii

huma_dawii GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 3, 2014
    United States
    Key Largo, Florida
    Is there lag with the Wii U Pro Controller?

15. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    Of course there is, it's wireless.

Vorde likes this.
  16. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    people forget this lag is very few ms so unless your one of those extra pro competitors, 99% of the people dont notice or fell the lag at all, since for 99% of the games the lag is so tiny that makes zero diference.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  17. Heran Bago

Heran Bago Where do puyo come from?

Nov 6, 2005
    United States
    Foggy California
    I mean this in as nice a way as possible, but Nintendon't might not be for you. Like it's a miracle that it gets nearly 100% of games in a playable state, but for purists like high-end Melee players and Tingle Tuner enthusiasts, it's just not going to cut it.

Vorde likes this.
  18. DrCrygor07

DrCrygor07 Italian Wario Ware bootleg©

Sep 4, 2014
    Italy
    I use the dualshock 4 and it works flawlessly

19. Vorde
    OP

Vorde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 8, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah I play the game every day for practice and compete in local tournaments, so the lag is very noticeable. Figured it would be like this, but was hoping for maybe a side setup =\

20. pedro702

pedro702 GBAtemp Guru

Mar 3, 2014
    Portugal
    get a wii or a gc and use them...

obviously nintendont can never mantain the speed of original controllers trough gc controller ports becuase it has to read the hid value, turn it into gc comands and then sent it to the game, so its literaly impossible to have the exact same ms as on a wii with gc ports or original gc.

Vorde and VinsCool like this.