Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so is this a decent tablet for the price?
http://1saleaday.com/

I know majority of you will say its :shit:
but $60 for at least a 7" ebook reader seems pretty good
runs android 2.2

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got a slightly different one then advertised

this is the upgraded ds model
has 4GB of storage, front facing camera, no hdmi (might have used this but I doubt it), and one less usb port (was most likely never gonna use both at the same time)

anyway this resistive screen is killing me, I tried using a ds stylus but you have to press real hard on the screen

probably should have spent double and got one with a capacitive screen like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858616008

I'll play with it a bit more to see if I can get it to work with my fingertip better, load a a few things on it and see how it handles them

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its not to bad once you get used to how much pressure to apply with your finger, still not that great
already rooted it and added a bunch of apps, most games are unplayable though thanx to the screen

I think im just gonna resell this for the same price I bought it for (locally or ebay) and get that coby one
eventually there should be a root for ics and allow google play (android market) to be installed

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anything with a resistive touch screen is going to suck. Capacitive or GTFO.

A tablet under 150$ is probably going to suck regardless.. (Unless you can grab an HP TouchPad, which I swear by.)

Also, if you are going to spend 150$ on a Coby tab, why not just grab a Kindle Fire or Nook Tablet for 50$ more? Both have Cyanogenmod 9 and have great specs. I would just save my money for just a little longer. :D

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
its $130 + free shipping + no tax, on sale thats why I was gonna get it
seems like a good tab feature and spec wise, was just released so not many reviews, though pretty much all complaints are no google play and problems relating to ics (nothing to do with the tab)

if I was gonna get the nook tablet or kindle fire, it would end up being about $218 (both b&n and amazon charge me tax)

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
its $130 + free shipping + no tax, on sale thats why I was gonna get it
seems like a good tab feature and spec wise, was just released so not many reviews, though pretty much all complaints are no google play and problems relating to ics (nothing to do with the tab)

if I was gonna get the nook tablet or kindle fire, it would end up being about $218 (both b&n and amazon charge me tax)

Did not know you where considering spending more and also interested in a Nook. Forget the Nook tablet, you can go with a Nook color instead and turn It into a tablet with CFW. If you went new that would save you at least $50 retail. I see new in box owned ones being sold on Craigslist between $75-125. My friend has a Nook color with Cyanogen mod on It and It works pretty nice, (faster then my CTW wifi phone's with much better/bigger screen).

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I looked at a few hp touchpads on ebay, after losing about 7 auctions in a row for one used with CM9 installed, I gave up on it and just bought the coby one

just need something to browse the web, play basic games (not crazy 3d games), watch videos, e-reader, and maybe view pictures

I guess I will put my 3 day old one on ebay but first will try and sell it locally, it was an impulse buy :lol:

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
got it yesterday (props to newegg for the free 1 day shipping)
100x better then the other one, ics is great

I just have one problem, using a file manager I cant see any files on my sd card (tried 4 different file managers)
I have ebooks, pictures, and a few pkg (flash. youtube, ect...) on it
I can see directors on the card but if I go in the ebooks directory for example it says its empty, the ebook reader app also cannot see it, claims there are no files

the photo gallery can see my pictures and view them

its really weird

this person is having the exact same problem except is using a galaxy s (also with ics 4.0)
http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705404

so im positive its an ics related problem

battery life is decent for a budget tab, 4-6 hours

Jakob95

I am the Avatar
Suspended
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0051VVOB2?ie=UTF8&tag=technobuffalo-20&linkCode=shr&camp=213733&creative=393193&ref_=xs_gb_ARRGQEEMLV4PT&qid=1327619743&sr=8-1&condition=refurbished

You can buy a Amazon Kindle for $140 refurbished on Amazon.

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what tab did you get?
the coby one, already ordered it before you even posted the archos link since the sale was ending

anyway back to my problem, was messing around with it more
ics sees the internal flash memory as "sdcard"
the actual sd card that I put stuff on is located in the directory called "extcard"
now only problem is none of the file explorers can up the next level above "sdcard"

root access is probably required

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what tab did you get?
the coby one, already ordered it before you even posted the archos link since the sale was ending

anyway back to my problem, was messing around with it more
ics sees the internal flash memory as "sdcard"
the actual sd card that I put stuff on is located in the directory called "extcard"
now only problem is none of the file explorers can up the next level above "sdcard"

root access is probably required

This problem will be a bitch when it comes to games. I have a tab with similar issues. When it comes to gaming I patch all Gameloft games with Duero's patcher.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I personally use a Nook Color with CM7. It works decently fast, though I tend to give it a full reboot two or three times a week due to slowdown starting to occur in certain applications that I'm not able to account for (probably just too many games opened). Go to reboot it, and two minutes later, it's fully rebooted and running fantastically. Battery life is around 6 hours with wi-fi blasting all of the time and games being played. It's closer to 8 hours with some light web browsing and primarily reading. I've had no trouble installing files, though, I'm not entirely confident on where to put things such as ebooks. I pretty much just have to find a pdf version and use Adobe Reader, which actually isn't so bad. All in all, I wish I had suggested this to you. For around the same price, it seems a better deal than any, if not all Coby tablets out there.

As for your current problem, I'm not an expert on ICS by any means, nor am I knowledgeable of Coby tablets. I'll just give my input here in case you end up unhappy, and end up going after yet another tablet.

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
for the work around right now, I can just plop stuff on the internal memory
I can see and install stuff fine, just file mangers cant change to the sd card

a few developers are working on a root and google play access right now, provided one developer with my firmware dump

I'm happy with this purchase so far

Joe88

[λ]
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that was quick
fully rooted now and google play is installed :)

only thing I wish it had a little better battery life, and a rear facing camera would be nice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Spring is in the air. +1