Decent laptop config( considering its price)?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by raystriker, Jul 22, 2012.

1. raystriker
    OP

Member raystriker Computer Hardware Enthusiast

India
    Hey tempers, I am gonna buy a new laptop, and want to ask you if it's specs good enough for its price
    Specs.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Pics.( my friend already has one)
    And Windows Experience Index(or whatever its called)
    [​IMG]

The price at which I'm getting one-

So is it good enough?(considering its specs.?) and price?

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    Buying a decent laptop in India is a hard game (I usually kit out a couple for a couple of clients to drag out with them when they go) and that one is not ideal, it certainly is not a hong kong special but it is not a tip top one either-
    Processor is neither here nor there.
    The 5400 rpm drive is still reasonably common in laptops but it is usually a sign of a lower end model which I would not expect to last (both the drive and the laptop)
    The ram is likely to be 2x 2g sticks and lower end which is fine but do not get too hung up on the upgrade side of things
    "Web Cam:0.3 MP"- aka 640x480 it is probably just a token effort and frankly the USB bus does not handle much better for real time video at a sensible framerate but again I feel the need to note it.
    Most good network cards will come with gigabit ethernet but I am not sure what plays in low end laptop world here. It says wireless N on the wireless so I am not inclined to diss it entirely.

Another site says 1366 x 768 resolution for the screen which I tend to run away from but I guess it could work (laptop screens went to really low resolutions for several years which was not good and are only just starting to get back on form). It does appear to have half nice graphics with dedicated memory which I will note as a good thing and a decent selection of outputs to boot.
    The same site says 1 x USB 2.0 and 2 x USB 3.0... a bit low for my liking but I guess hubs are not unreasonably priced and not everybody needs loads of them.

600 US Dollars then. Were it second hand it would be too high for my liking and for a superb condition one I might top out around 500 USD or less for one without a nice battery. New in India I would not call it a waste of money per se and I am not inclined to veto it but for that money make sure the keyboard works for you and make sure the screen is something you can get along with otherwise carry on searching.

3. raystriker
    OP

India
    thanks for the reply,
    hmm...so according to you, this lappy is a little heavier on the con side, so then what specs. Would you recommend for a $600 light-mid gaming laptop?(was taking this one for the quad core cpu and dual graphics>> i'm a hardcore multi tasker and i want to run some emulators like dolphin and maybe some racing sims.

4. raystriker
    OP

India
    and hey thats one single 4gb ram module.
    For mods- i have no intension of double posting, just that on my mobile the editing option gives error> undefined string ck editor

5. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I am not sure if I would call it a con as much as you do not find yourself in the best market for buying a computer and laptops are generally overpriced and underpowered whatever you do.

"Multi tasking" has not really been a problem since around windows 98se and was not really that much of a problem for some time before that* unless you mean multi tasking intensive programs which I find somewhat amusing; if you are encoding a video just leave the machine to get on with it. The true alt tab between photoshop and 3d modelling program crowd probably would not be caught dead without an SSD drive (at this point in time for this price range that is aftermarket only but not that expensive if you do not need masses of space) or a silly RAID (not something usually done on laptops) and the 5400rpm drive will be the thing that drags that down. I am still not entirely sold on quad vs a dual core of similar price but higher immediate performance but I do not imagine you can find much proper dual core stuff these days.

*dual core was noted and quite nice for general use.

"Gaming laptop" is not a term that exists outside of crazy money as far as I am concerned. However with consoles holding things back on DX9 vintage processes I can see that machine able to play games at acceptable framerates* when not on absolute minimum (that you have a fairly low res screen there helping matters quite a bit as well) and a bit of hacked stuff settings which is about all you can expect this side of said crazy money. Quick and dirty ports or ones aimed at being showcase games for the developers/publishers (thinking the likes of Just Cause 2) I can see troubling it but your average valve title, strategy game or things of that ilk will do OK for a while; we are slowly but surely actually changing up graphics again after all.

*I define it as 30fps or maybe a shade lower seen as that is what just about every video uses and nobody except video editors have any real complaint there, if you find yourself in the it must be 60fps crowd good luck with that.

A single ram module in a consumer grade big box vendor laptop.... colour me shocked. 4 gigs is enough for most things right now but I will note I tend not to opt for the memory gobbling adobe stuff when I play video editor or fiddling with 3d or high end graphics so I will defer to someone that does play adobe's game and again if you are after speed and such I will look at the hard drive once more.

We find ourselves in interesting times and the idea of future proofing (aside from most people not needing more than basic office and internet stuff effectively future proofing themselves) is not really something that can be done for that kind of price or until you get a lot pricier. The specs say it probably will do OK but again I will go back to the check your friend's machine and see if the keyboard and screen will do for you and if so then by all means buy it.

6. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    for $600? hell no, maybe in india you don't get much choice in terms of value for money, that laptop is a huge ripoff, you should be paying no more than $200-$250 max for it.

7. raystriker
    OP

India
    Ripoff?
    Please, this lappy runs on a quad core APU that was just released in June.
    It has a 1.5GB graphics(1GB discrete+ 512MB from the APU)
    The ram speed is decent>>DDR3 1600mhz
    ________________________________________________________________________________

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Are you sure you read the specs correctly? We're talking a quad-core laptop with 4GB of RAM, 500GB harddrive space, and an HD 7640G video card.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A8-4500M-Notebook-Processor.74884.0.html
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-7640G.69836.0.html

If you know somewhere to get this laptop or something with the same kind of gaming power for $250, I want a link! I mean it's not the best, but it's a decent laptop, and $250 is a fucking steal for these specs.