Death of the DS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Gary kiila, Apr 30, 2010.

Apr 30, 2010

Death of the DS? by Gary kiila at 12:45 AM (4,034 Views / 0 Likes) 28 replies

1. Gary kiila
    OP

Newcomer Gary kiila Advanced Member

United States
    With the Nintendo 3DS coming out do you think DS games( or atleast good DS) will stop being made? Like once the 3DS comes out I doubt they will release any Pokemon( besides Black and White), Zelda, Castlevania, Final Fantasy and many more. I hope this is not the case, because I have just ordered a Acekard2i 2 days ago and should be getting it in a week or so and have never really played my DS( got it for free from my friend cause he bought a new one cause the hinges were broken to where it couldn't fold anymore but works perfectly) besides like 5 games. There is still many games out though. So what is your guys thought on this?

2. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    Then you have a huge back catalogue of fantastic DS games to play on your AceKard. It's not like you wasted your money or anything.

3. CamulaHikari

Member CamulaHikari Kami Kurai

Netherlands
    I don't think this will be the case that soon after 3DS release most consoles/handhelds will keep getting games for quite some while even after a new 'version' is released. I mean we have had GBA games for quite some while after the DS release...

And since there are already a lot of good games on the DS (actually depends on what you like), you'll gonna need a lot of free time to play them all xD

4. iamthemilkman

Member iamthemilkman GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The 3DS is the end of the current DS, but why would you be worried that you have like 7 years of releases for like $12-$20?

5. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    It's for that reason Nintendo may be in a hurry to dump the DS, and switch to a new platform which will be harder to pirate.

6. Gary kiila
    OP

Newcomer Gary kiila Advanced Member

United States
    I'm not worried about not having games to play [​IMG] . There is like 4000 out [​IMG]. I was just wondering what your guys thoughts were on the matter. [​IMG]

7. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Yeah, the DS is dying, but that's just because it's at the end of its natural lifespan. It's not a bad thing, it's just the way it works.

But the DS does still have a great crop of games. And as per your examples..

- Zelda: We got Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Nintendo usually does 2 Zelda games per system.
    - Final Fantasy: III and IV remakes, not to mention FF Gaiden (which is getting localized). It's been kinda more of a Sony/Playstation series since the PSX days (it does release multiplatform, but it's still mainly on the Playstation).
    - Castlevania: We got 3 games, I don't think we need a 4th on the system. And Dawn of Sorrow rocks.

8. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    That's from the perspective of a FlashCart user.

It's not 4000. There are ~4800 releases, but those include many duplicates. The actual number of unique games is going to be around a 3rd of that.

How many of those old games are Nintendo actually still manufacturing?

A retailer only has a limited amount of floorspace, they can only have a certain number of games on their shop floor and normally those will be the big sellers. You have retailers who sell second hand games and do a decent trade, but that doesn't interest or benefit Nintendo.

If a retailer is going have a selection of 30 3DS games displayed, they can't create the space they will take up from nothing. They will have to remove something else from their shelve's to make way for them.

9. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    You'd think it would have occurred to him that there are nearly 5000 roms out there...
    By the time NintendoDS is obsolete to the 3DS, the NDS library will be twice the size as the GBA library.
    And people who have EZ3in1's/slot2 devices already has access to nearly 8000 roms, and that doesn't include emulators.

10. yuyuyup

Member yuyuyup GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    3ds is gonna be way bad (bad as in good)

11. Brian117

Member Brian117 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Why not then say, "3ds is gonna be way good", and save everyone some confusion?

12. MarkDarkness

Member MarkDarkness Deliverator

Poland
    The end of the GBA lifespan gave us Yggdra Union, Summon Night - Swordcraft Story 2, Super Robot Taisen Original Generation 1 and 2, Riviera - The Promised Land, Fire Emblem - The Sacred Stones...

I REALLY don't mind if the DS dies in such a high note.

13. MissingNo._

Member MissingNo._ aka MissingNoL

United States
    I think by then I'd still be playing CQuake Multi-Player on my NINTENDO DSi.

14. wanderone

Newcomer wanderone Advanced Member

United States
    I think alot of people are ready for it die. Don't get me wrong, lots of good games to play. But I hope the 3DS doesn't have anywhere near the amount of shovelware.

Did the GBA have shovelware?

15. thiefraccoon

Member thiefraccoon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    oh gba had incredible amount of shovelware.

16. Njrg

Banned Njrg Kinsoku Jikou Desu. ^.~

United States
    GBA's final 500 roms were like 95% shovelware.
    And when shovelware wasn't enough, they made 2/3/4 in 1 games.
    And then made 2/3/4 shovelwares in one shovelware making ultra mega shovelware chicken.

17. DS1

Member DS1 伝説の雀士

United States
    From my COLD DEAD HANDS [​IMG]

18. JackDeeEss

Member JackDeeEss GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    WEll, we can soon arrange for that to happen, DS1.
    /me gets out bow

19. Daizu

Member Daizu GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Good games being stopped? Nah, I doubt that. Maybe less of them, but not stopped. My DS broke and I'd like a new one and a flash card so I can play the already great DS game collection out there. Despite Nintendo's extreme milking on the product, it was a very successful console, but we haven't seen the end of it yet.

20. doeo

Banned doeo Banned

Antarctica
    What is Pokemon Black/White anyways? [​IMG]

and more importantly..

Why do you doubt good games will go on?