Hacking DeadSkullzJr's NDS(i) Cheat Databases

Vincado

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
hi, deadskullz, can you help me make this fossil fighters champions code be turned on and off?
skip enemy turn
5219A3EC FBE8F6BC
1219A41A 00002100
D2000000 00000000

smashbro596

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have been wanting a "all souls" cheat for castlevania dawn of sorrow.
i know there is one, but it... it's broken as hell.
what i mean is: some souls (particularly bullet souls like axe armor and skeleton) are glitched and have wonky graphics/don't do any damage.
the european version has a proper one (9 of all souls, transferred, as well as a seperate ability soul cheat)
is it possible to do the same for the us version? pretty please?

Reactions: andreiarturo

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I have been wanting a "all souls" cheat for castlevania dawn of sorrow.
i know there is one, but it... it's broken as hell.
what i mean is: some souls (particularly bullet souls like axe armor and skeleton) are glitched and have wonky graphics/don't do any damage.
the european version has a proper one (9 of all souls, transferred, as well as a seperate ability soul cheat)
is it possible to do the same for the us version? pretty please?
Uh, you must not be using my database because all of the regional variants have the same exact code respectively, and they all do the same task. I know this because I redid those lists before 2.4.0.

bonkabun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to to use cheats on a game with edited sprites? I guess using tinke changes the game's ID or something...? I want to know if there's a way to find the new ID and if using cheats made for the original game will work

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to to use cheats on a game with edited sprites? I guess using tinke changes the game's ID or something...? I want to know if there's a way to find the new ID and if using cheats made for the original game will work
It's possible given I support ROM hacks as well as the vanilla, but generally I don't support things like randomizers or very minimal hacks, sprite hacking for example is considered minimal given that doesn't change the core gameplay, it's mere aesthetics/visual appearance.

I will say that while it is possible, depending on the circumstances, cheat support can be busted on some ROM hacks due to some differences that vanilla may not have, even a simple shift is enough to bust cheats, fortunately there isn't too many that do such a thing, though I have had to dance with a small few that went a step further than traditional ROM hacks.

It would be best if you brought this to my attention via Discord instead given my chances of responding faster is better there than here, not to mention I could help you better there than here as well. How about we continue the discussion about this over there shall we?

Reactions: bonkabun

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting messages from people both on here and on the server to update the database. To those doing this, you know who you are, this isn't going to push the update out any faster, if anything it's just going to slow me down, now if you want me to slow down, then keep going, otherwise, you need to please have some patience. I understand the release is taking what seems like forever, but I have other things in my life that I attend to as well as this project, I can't just pour focus into this 24/7, and because of the type of update it is (one of my big ones), you have to expect it.

You need to ask yourself if you want a rushed and busted database full of busted new addictions and overhauls, or if you want a clean cut database with cheat codes that work and nicer lists to work with. I personally don't believe in rushing things, I believe in quality, rushing isn't quality.

Fr4nk1904

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hi, I'm new here, I tried cheating on Digimon Lost Evolution, but the game crashes after some time of playing, but the background sound keeps playing. (sorry for any mistakes, english is not my main language).

Cyberdrive

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
"Rune Factory 3 - A Fantasy Harvest Moon" (both USA and Europe regions) has some fake and some bad codes in 'Miscellaneous Codes" section:
"Always Obtain Seed Upon Harvest" and "Never Obtain Seed Upon Harvest" are fake;
"100% Item Drop Chance" doesn't work in Sharance Labyrinth, i.e.the only location where it's actually needed;
"Open Dragon Cave" does what it says by permanently marking main story as cleared which is a massive spoiler and can't be undone.
Here are proper cheats for all of the above.
Code:
::Always Obtain Seed Upon Harvest
0207458C E3A00000
This one is from "Farming Codes" section, just cleaned up (the asm is always at that address, there's no need to check for it)
Code:
::Never Obtain Seed Upon Harvest
0207458C E3A04000
The opposite of the previous one (not particularly useful but someone somewhere bothered to fake it, so why not do the real thing).
Code:
::Always Item Drops
:::(hold R)
22098A74 E1A0700B
94000130 FEFF0000
22098A74 E1A0700D
D2000000 00000000
Hold R while killing the monster to get all its drops instead of getting all drops from all monsters all the time.
Code:
::Open Dragon Cave
923C09F6 00000228
123C09F6 00001228
This does only what it says and nothing else, it doesn't persist (the cave closes if you disable the cheat and reenter the area). You'll need Water Shoes or "Can Walk On Water" cheat to get to the entrance to see that it opened though.
There's also a cheat out there (thankfully, not in this database) which claims to unlock best seeds in the shop but wipes your save instead. Here's the real code which does that and more:
Code:
::Shops Sell Lv.10 Items
521E3B7C EBFC5461
021E3B7C E3A00009
D2000000 00000000
Note that Lv.10 items can't be upgraded so you'll probably want Lv10 seeds and ingredients only, but not the equipment. Disable the code for blacksmith's and similiar shops and reenter the shop to revert items back to Lv1.

P.S.The entrance to Sharance Labyrinth unlocks in your home's basement when you beat the first boss. You'll get the seed if you use the sickle on a fully grown crop (guaranteed), or it can randomly drop if you pull the crop with bare hands. Dragon Cave legitimately unlocks shortly before the end of the main story.

Last edited by Cyberdrive,
  • Love
Reactions: AsPika2219

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"Rune Factory 3 - A Fantasy Harvest Moon" (both USA and Europe regions) has some fake and some bad codes in 'Miscellaneous Codes" section:
"Always Obtain Seed Upon Harvest" and "Never Obtain Seed Upon Harvest" are fake;
"100% Item Drop Chance" doesn't work in Sharance Labyrinth, i.e.the only location where it's actually needed;
"Open Dragon Cave" does what it says by permanently marking main story as cleared which is a massive spoiler and can't be undone.
Here are proper cheats for all of the above.
Code:
::Always Obtain Seed Upon Harvest
0207458C E3A00000
This one is from "Farming Codes" section, just cleaned up (the asm is always at that address, there's no need to check for it)
Code:
::Never Obtain Seed Upon Harvest
0207458C E3A04000
The opposite of the previous one (not particularly useful but someone somewhere bothered to fake it, so why not do the real thing).
Code:
::Always Item Drops
:::(hold R)
22098A74 E1A0700B
94000130 FEFF0000
22098A74 E1A0700D
D2000000 00000000
Hold R while killing the monster to get all its drops instead of getting all drops from all monsters all the time.
Code:
::Open Dragon Cave
923C09F6 00000228
123C09F6 00001228
This does only what it says and nothing else, it doesn't persist (the cave closes if you disable the cheat and reenter the area). You'll need Water Shoes or "Can Walk On Water" cheat to get to the entrance to see that it opened though.
There's also a cheat out there (thankfully, not in this database) which claims to unlock best seeds in the shop but wipes your save instead. Here's the real code which does that and more:
Code:
::Shops Sell Lv.10 Items
521E3B7C EBFC5461
021E3B7C E3A00009
D2000000 00000000
Note that Lv.10 items can't be upgraded so you'll probably want Lv10 seeds and ingredients only, but not the equipment. Disable the code for blacksmith's and similiar shops and reenter the shop to revert items back to Lv1.

P.S.The entrance to Sharance Labyrinth unlocks in your home's basement when you beat the first boss. You'll get the seed if you use the sickle on a fully grown crop (guaranteed), or it can randomly drop if you pull the crop with bare hands. Dragon Cave legitimately unlocks shortly before the end of the main story.
I think that cave code was intentional. Cheat codes aren't designed to avoid spoilers, in-fact in most cases it's to access places quickly and or early, some cases codes exist to literally open every level, that's kind of why it persists. The rule of thumb that veterans even know is, don't use anything that may lead to being spoiled in the first place. Codes like these generally are just to make it an easy and or permanent unlock for people.

The monsters dropping stuff all the time is also usually another code most prefer to use over using any in specific situations. I personally would prefer solutions like this when it comes to drops, makes progression somewhat easier and such in some games. I'll take note of the original not working in that particular area, I've been fixing some old codes in the database for the next update alongside creating and adding new stuff.

I'll remove the "fake" ones, they may or may not actually be fake, they could just be for another region, or just made incorrectly. I'll add in the replacements however.

Memory limitations prevent the ability to use giant code lists, I've been optimizing the database to only have stuff that's useful and nothing really useless, I don't mind fun and or "extras" codes, however I put more importance on the useful ones than I do the fun and or extras variants. Not saying what you have is useless, far from it, basically it's kind of like an item code type of deal, the code either gives all the items or doesn't exist at all, individual is impractical, and cutting back on content seems a bit unnecessary.

Reactions: banjo2

Cyberdrive

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
@DeadSkullzJr
>I think that cave code was intentional.
This made me recheck, and the original poster at GameFAQs did add a note about the code's side effects. However, there's no comment for that code in the database, even though some other codes for RF3 (ex."All Pets Max Affection") do state their side effects on the story.
Since RF4 will soon be on Steam, some people coming to play RF3 from there will inevitably get spoiled if you, the sole maintainer of the database, leave that code as is - and they won't like it.

>The monsters dropping stuff all the time is also usually another code most prefer to use over using any in specific situations.
I'm playing this particular game and you don't want to swim in crap here because it slows down the game and it starts pruning random things you've left on the ground due to limited inventory space. Meaning that the very specific loot you're searching for may get pruned before you have a chance to grab it. Therefore new "drop on demand" code is superior to old "always on" code, especially in the randomness of Labyrinth's dungeons (not to mention that the old code doesn't work there in the first place).

Fake codes are fake regardless of the region. They hang the game by making it access invalid memory addresses in English versions and are pure garbage in Japanese. I make asm codes myself, I can tell. Whoever made them had no idea what he was doing at best, or knew full well - which is even worse.

As for the database optimization, currently 77% (seventy seven) of usrcheat.dat's 42.4 MB is taken by Pokemon games. They are triple the size of cheats for all other games combined. If you delete them and resave usrcheat.dat, you'll reduce it by 32 MB (thirty two), and many DS games are smaller than that. Consider splitting Pokemon games into another file if you already have to choose which cheats to keep and which to remove.

Edit: typos

Last edited by Cyberdrive,
Reactions: banjo2

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@DeadSkullzJr
>I think that cave code was intentional.
This made me recheck, and the original poster at GameFAQs did add a note about the code's side effects. However, there's no comment for that code in the database, even though some other codes for RF3 (ex."All Pets Max Affection") do state their side effects on the story.
Since RF4 will soon be on Steam, some people coming to play RF3 from there will inevitably get spoiled if you, the sole maintainer of the database, leave that code as is - and they won't like it.

>The monsters dropping stuff all the time is also usually another code most prefer to use over using any in specific situations.
I'm playing this particular game and you don't want to swim in crap here because it slows down the game and it starts pruning random things you've left on the ground due to limited inventory space. Meaning that the very specific loot you're searching for may get pruned before you have a chance to grab it. Therefore new "drop on demand" code is superior to old "always on" code, especially in the randomness of Labyrinth's dungeons (not to mention that the old code doesn't work there in the first place).

Fake codes are fake regardless of the region. They hang the game by making it access invalid memory addresses in English versions and are pure garbage in Japanese. I make asm codes myself, I can tell. Whoever made them had no idea what he was doing at best, or knew full well - which is even worse.

As for the database optimization, currently 77% (seventy seven) of usrcheat.dat's 42.4 MB is taken by Pokemon games. They are triple the size of cheats for all other games combined. If you delete them and resave usrcheat.dat, you'll reduce it by 32 MB (thirty two), and many DS games are smaller than that. Consider splitting Pokemon games into another file if you already have to choose which cheats to keep and which to remove.

Edit: typos
That's not what I meant by optimize, size means nothing to me, I'm talking making each list clean. I haven't had complaints from people who use codes like these in terms of being "spoiled," for any game for that matter, the only time people come to me with an issue is if something isn't working right, usually I follow up with a fix. I know exactly what I'm doing. "Fake" to me means something different than what you deem is fake, if the code was made for another game, it's not fake (though I will admit they don't appear to be valid ASM codes, because I've never seen weird value writes such as those when doing ASM work). It's just not working or not intended for the game it's listed under. I also make ASM stuff, I'm not quick to throw codes like that without actually checking ALL scenarios first. As for your issue with items slowing the game down, how about you make a code that lets you pick the items up even if you capped out, I've done that to other games just to prevent that issue, then this "superiority" is void (plus the old can be tweaked anyways to account for said area), maybe make a code that also grabs things within a radius. I added the variant you presented as an alternative that people can use.

Last edited by DeadSkullzJr,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone