OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.co.uk
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys! I’ve had my slimline desktop about 2 years and it’s decided to die on me while plugging a HDMI cable into it! It had a new motherboard put in about a year ago after the last one died and now I have a feeling this one has done the same.

When plugging the power cable in hear a little pop sound but I get no power to motherboard and no other noise to say it’s even trying to turn on. Took it a Currys/PC World and the guy there seemed to think it was the PSU rather than the motherboard. The PSU is a LiteOn PE-5221-02AB which is a slim Micro ATX unit afaik so was wondering whether I could swap it for a bigger ATX unit or I can change it to PE-5221-08AB which looks near identical to it with the same specs? Or is it a case of a new motherboard again?

Cheers guys, you’ll probably know a lot more than a dude at a till so any help is really appreciated!

D

Deleted User

Get a better PSU. 80+ Gold one's preferably, those can resist everything.
If you let your Pc get overcharged due to your shitty PSU then your mobos will die like hot pancakes. Just swap PSU and waste alot on one just to be safe.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Short the psu with a paperclip and see if it turns on without the motherboard attached
It will be the green and black you want to short

psu%20paper%20clip%20test%205.png

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
if you're burning through boards that quick id say its the psu, it could be supplying too much voltage, or not doing any current protection, but liteon or usually any preinstalled psu is usually trash, they are for bare basics of pcs, literally enough to power everything thats already there with little overhead, often they will run way below their wattage too once you hit any sort of load. while liteon isnt the worst out there, you want a 80+ at least imo bronze ones are good enough for most people. id also recommend getting one thats 50-100W more than what the one installed currently is so that it has the overhead for power draw.

Reactions: felix.200

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
Just tried this and the fan kicked in on the PSU so that leads me to think it’s motherboard related?
So, the PSU is not dead. I'd recommend you get another one though. Is that PSU even 80+ rated?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)