Hardware De-lidding

Haizum74

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Erm...so yeh I decided to give de-lidding a go, worked great until I turned the PS3 on and it shut down with a flashing red light. Oops. Thankfully I have a spare that is not going to be de-lidded. What a plonker.

Anyone else fubared theirs?

Haizum74

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've had mine de-lidded in January to replace the thermal pastes, I've got a CECHC that kinda needs to undergo the same treatment as well.

My CECHC is running around 68c on the CPU. Not had thermal paste reapplied yet. The one that's knackered was hitting 82c and the fan was like a jet.

Hephaestus

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I actually had great success on three PS3s so far.
I made my own custom tool for the job.
It was originally a "Painter's scraper", if i translated that correctedly.
I used my Dremel with a sandpaper-attachment and sanded the end down till it was very thin and made sure to sand off the edges as well, so it would be thin, but quite blunt!
That way, even if you did manage to touch some of the internals under the IHS, it wouldnt damage it.
a2vPnoE.jpg

That took care of most of the overheating of my PS3, but didnt quite solve the problem inherent with the PS3 Slim design.
The PS3 Slim badly needs more holes to vent the heat, which is why even after delidding the fan spins up quite a bit when playing hardware-intensive games for a while. So i ended up adding holes to the top and bottom of the case to remedy that.
oYj98Z1.jpg

Thats the first one i did and while the end-result was a bit "rough" and nowhere as neat as i would have wanted it, it works beautifully.
The Fan never spins up more than its lowest settings. Not even in GTA 5 after prolonged playtimes.
I had to turn off the sound of my TV entirely while playing GTA 5 and listen real hard to even make out any noise at all. I couldnt be happier.

I used this video as a basic outline of how to do it:

Reactions: Silent_Gunner

snobbysteven

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How risky is de-lidding a ps3? I have a friend who asked me if I would do theirs. I have never worked on a ps3, but I build my own pc's and have replaced internal parts on iphones without the thing messing up lol. I also have a ifixit kit so I have a good amount of tools.

Hephaestus

Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
How risky is de-lidding a ps3? I have a friend who asked me if I would do theirs. I have never worked on a ps3, but I build my own pc's and have replaced internal parts on iphones without the thing messing up lol. I also have a ifixit kit so I have a good amount of tools.
If you do it right, with the correct tool for the job and take your time it isnt risky at all.
The tool you need to do it, see my post above, comes with no kit tho.
They used to sell those, but that was ages ago.
Be prepared to fashion your own tool for the job, using a knife is far to risky.

ray_ray696

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually had great success on three PS3s so far.
I made my own custom tool for the job.
It was originally a "Painter's scraper", if i translated that correctedly.
I used my Dremel with a sandpaper-attachment and sanded the end down till it was very thin and made sure to sand off the edges as well, so it would be thin, but quite blunt!
That way, even if you did manage to touch some of the internals under the IHS, it wouldnt damage it.
a2vPnoE.jpg

That took care of most of the overheating of my PS3, but didnt quite solve the problem inherent with the PS3 Slim design.
The PS3 Slim badly needs more holes to vent the heat, which is why even after delidding the fan spins up quite a bit when playing hardware-intensive games for a while. So i ended up adding holes to the top and bottom of the case to remedy that.
oYj98Z1.jpg

Thats the first one i did and while the end-result was a bit "rough" and nowhere as neat as i would have wanted it, it works beautifully.
The Fan never spins up more than its lowest settings. Not even in GTA 5 after prolonged playtimes.
I had to turn off the sound of my TV entirely while playing GTA 5 and listen real hard to even make out any noise at all. I couldnt be happier.

I used this video as a basic outline of how to do it:

Pretty sweet delidding tool. Can you sell me one?

bobbytomorow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried delidding a 60GB a few years back. I made a couple of custom tools and those lids are on so so tight, at least on the unit i had. I ended up damaging the PCB trying to get a lid off. Turned me off of ever attempting it again.

Reactions: ray_ray696

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: