OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello all, I am a noob
smile.gif
I have read and re-read so much my brain hurts and is somewhat confused and my pocket protector keeps falling out of my shirt pocket. I am not a rich man so I do not want to brick my Wii and ruin my childrens lives either, so I want to be 100% sure of what I am doing. I will try to provide as much info as possible in order to get some clear direction.
My Wii IS updated to 4.2U with a wiikey installed. I have no need what so ever play out of region games. I am certain that by loading homebrew software that I can use the USB functionality and by thus increasing binary communication with the console via USB than by disc as USB is some 8x faster.

My questions are as follows:

Which guide should be followed given the above?
Are there specific name brand SD cards that are more compatible than others and if so what brand?
Is any size external USB HDD compatible (and what does it need to be formatted to ie: NTFS, FAT32)?
Most importantly, what hazards should I be on the lookout for.

Lastly, I do own retail versions of games, however as my kids love some of the bigger name games ( and being just kids) they do not understand that if the retail copy gets scratched we have to buy another. Hence I would like to continue using backup copies, so if they get scratched, well just make another. And yes I do have an appropriate reader to rip my retail copies.

If any more information is needed to get clear direction, please let me know and I will attempt to obtain those answers asap. I can only thank any and all who can help me out, especially being so close to XMAS. With that in mind Merry Christmas to any and all members.

Cheers and good tidings.

TIA

The Noob

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

GeeMann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sweet many thanks for the prompt reply and direction. I think I can do this without screwing it up and destroying my children's game time. Merry Xmas

GeeMann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok maybe some clarity as I may be over reading, and I DO appreciate any and all input.

Does the modify.ZIP already contain bannerbomb or does this have to be done in two seperate processes?

My Wii is an original first gen chip so I expect that I can load bootmii as boot2.

I have a 320GB WD HDD that I used wiibackupmanager to format as fat32 with wbfs, however in windows I see the wbfs folder but the drive is formatted to NTFS still? Should this be? and Should there be more than one partition on the USB drive? If so what advantages are there? I plan on using usbloader_gx as the boot loader.

I may occasionally run backups from disc via disc channel. Do I need to run Cioscorp (which I read is dangerous), or am I simply better off loading the ISO to the USB HDD or even perhaps running neogamma? My understanding is that any backups I make will be split into 2GB files to allow for FAT32 limitations ( which really is 4GB)?

Lastly my APPS folder on the sd is as follows:

AnyTitleDeleterMOD
Priiloader
Trucha Bug Restorer
WadManager
mplayer_ce
hackmii_installer_v0.6
usbloader_gx
BootMiiSwitch

are there any perceived problems, redundancies or concerns to be aware of?

Thanks again to any that help me out. As I said in my original post, I am not a rich man to afford to make mistakes especially at Xmas time, but simply want to try and make things best for my kids without screwing things up.

longtom1

Keep an eye on my posts cause I quick edit frequen
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
the modify.zip has everything needed to mod your wii (bannerbomb included)

If your wii is launch day then you'll more than likely be able to install as boot2

wouldn't know about the hard drive partitions as I use the whole of my drive as wbfs and use the wifi for playing movies through mplayerCE and file transfers

use neogamma or just use your mod chip as long as the games are from your region

I wouldn't see any problems as the guide is well tested and supported by the members of this site

Eddie_Brock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
GeeMann said:
I may occasionally run backups from disc via disc channel. Do I need to run Cioscorp (which I read is dangerous), or am I simply better off loading the ISO to the USB HDD or even perhaps running neogamma? My understanding is that any backups I make will be split into 2GB files to allow for FAT32 limitations ( which really is 4GB)?

If you want to actually run backups from the Disc Channel, then you need to use cIOSCorp (or have a modchip). As to whether its safe or not, I will leave that to someone who actually uses it. To me, it doesn't seem worth the trade off, since you can still play backup discs without having cIOSCorp. There are homebrew apps like GeckOS and Softchip that allow you to boot backup games from disc, however you do have to run the app first, not simply click the channel.

GeeMann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
panic........

ok the loader started and I got as I figured that I can load bootmii as boot2 (ie: all three options saying "can be loaded"). I loaded HBC fine Then loaded DVDX fine. Then tried to load bootmii as boot 2 and get failed??

There is an option to prepare a SD card and that also failed ( using same card). Do I need two cards? or did I miss something?

GeeMann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yes a panasonic 4GB SDHC card

The screen is stuck on exit atm. Can I just power down and remove the sd card without harming anything? or is there a specific order?

Will I need one or two cards? I realize I need at least a 1GB card to do a nand backup.

Is there a SD card compatibility list somewhere?

GeeMann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
whewwww, pulled the card and rebooted. HBC is loaded but nadda after that. I will look into another card. I thought I was lucky with this one when a friend offered it to me for nadda. Is there any GAURENTEED working cards? brand name and size?

GeeMann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks again longtom1

I was going to get a sandisk 2gb initially, but like I said a bud gave me the panasonic 4gb sdhc one to try out, and well it is a no go. At least this info may help someone else before trying. I will try again tomorrow evening and hopefully things go better.

GeeMann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would I need to reload all files on the new SD card and then just finish the install for bootmii as boot2 or should I del the bannerbomb (ATIK) dir before attempting to reload all. I do have HBC Channel showing now?

GeeMann

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ok SD card now works I get as far as installing HBC etc and get a NAND backup. Xferrred the nand to the computers HDD and deleted off the sd card. Restarted and launched TBR.
Press B (no IOS LOAD) and hit A every time. No errors.
Rerun TBR and I do not get IOS15 option untill I change IOS36 to 15 Manually. Then continue to follow and get Error something followed by the stack and code dump?

Any ideas??

Longtom1 I know you will likely reply with positive results. I will have to send you at least a bottle of your favorite "beverage".

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-