Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
....THIS IS GOING TO BE A LONG POST....

We should all be concerned about Datel's interest in the dat. For good or bad, we'll see how it plays out. But it is the actual code-hackers opinions on Datel's interest I worry about. They are the ones who CREATE the codes. Do they really want their codes going that public? I imagine for some of them, that's a big negatory.

Time for a little history.....

I started "officially" maintaining the dat August 11 2007....less than a year ago. It had very humble beginnings. (link to ENTIRE history listed below)
I happily maintained it for a while that way, building up the dat to HUGE proportions for quite a while. Then I was banned from DS-Coders for adding some of their codes to the dat a some time later. It was when this happened that I got sorta put off and started think of all the hackers who's codes were in my dat without ANY recognition for the codes they created. I tried to use the Credits & Help.txt (which in hindsight, I should have made it an .nfo file) and I would add any hacker, who's codes are in the dat, to the list in the txt as I discovered their name missing.

I was still catching a lot of flak from the hackers for putting codes in the dat. I came to find out that is was particularly the online WiFi cheat codes that upset them the most. I waas informed of this rather rudely (follow the history). So I started removing ALL WiFi codes from the dat hoping that things would be cool and added a whole bunch more hackers the the credits. THEN, I learned that the local WiFi codes were OK, just not the online WiFi.
Well, I'm a single-player sort of guy. I don't use the WiFi modes in DS games. I'm not hip on which games use what WiFi mode, which ones were OK and which weren't. All the "Scene" politics complicated stuff for me. I'm not a political guy, I just did my thing for myself, and shared it with everyone. That was the official cheat.dat. But it was getting out of control with all that WiFi stuff and the politics, so I passed it to Grimalkin. He was eager to take it over. He volunteered when he got wind of me wanting to pass the torch. I had enough of all the politics and told him to go for it.

Grimalkin and I maintained it about the same way. It was a down-and-dirty with no update history, we didn't bother to mention older games with new codes, didn't really have a good place to host it, etc.
But he did clean up the dat a bit and started putting back some of the local WiFi cheats. Grimalkin also went a long way to making it where the code-hackers would accept the text file as good enough for the credits to the codes.

One thing about Grimalkin....he was.....not a nice guy to many of the GBAtemp members. He got easily annoyed with the many silly posts that you get when you're on a public forum. I understood his attitude, but it was for this reason that I passed it, I didn't want to be like that to the members. It was unfortunate, but he was mirroring all the bad feelings I had wanted to prevent from reaching the members eyes.

Many members didn't know this, but the whole time Grimalkin was maintaining the dat, I had MY compiled dat available in one of the characters of my sig. I told VERY few people. I was in a situation where I WANTED to continue, but started to feel that all the politics were BS, so I went underground with my dat for awhile. I just continued maintaining like I always did and, except for a chosen few members here, I maintained the dat for all my real-life friends who rely on ME to keep them updated. Grimalkin hosted the "offical" dat.

Grimalkin found out about this, he wasn't happy. He lost interest and eventually passed it back to me. I continued to maintain the edit for a while, back in it's "official" status. A new feature was added such as supporting multiple flashcards......that brought up the popularity of the dat immensely. Yasu was the one who made that possible with his awesome editor. I immediately put that ability to use in the download.

I maintained the dat that way for a good amount of time......it kept me busy when I was out of work. I did it happily. It became the actual "official" GBAtemp dat. The post was stickied in the forums and everything.

Then I got a job. One that is steady work everyday and you actually have to work when you are there. I haven't missed a day since I started. I also work a lot of overtime. I started to get where I had no time for the dat. I was too tired to even feel like thinking about working on it. It actually IS a very time-consuming task. I started to get lazy with updates, they came every few days at best. I quickly got overwhelmed with new codes to add (they build up fast if you don't keep on 'em) and felt I was failing GBAtemp. I had to find someone to take it over who I felt would do a great job.....I let the dat slide for a while. I started where I was internally updating it based on other people's posts and updates and I would only update once in a while "officially". I was looking for a candidate as a successor to me. Many people offered to take over the dat (Grimalkin included) but I was looking for that one person who seemed to have a real ambition to make the dat what it REALLY deserved to be.

So I laid (or is that layed? I can never remember) back and watched. There was a lot of candidates, but one stuck it out above all the rest as consistent and well-maintained. That, of course was Narin. He never really asked to do the dat, he was just doin' it. He did it to provide everyone witht he cheats. He mirrored everything I wanted the dat to be as far as I could tell. I offered the job to him. He was more than happy (and a bit surprised) to be offered such a prestigious position. I gave him a few little tips and project secrets and a few unwritten rules and handed the reigns to Narin. He has not disappointed me. He has far exceeded ALL my expectations.

Narin has taken the dat to a professional level of greatness with the above mentioned features and bringing the dat from a more underground thing to a very high-profile, highly sought after file.

.....but when Datel gets involved, many of the hackers may not like it. I don't know....

But there's one person we've ALL forgotten. The one person who's post was responsible for the start the whole "GBAtemp cheat dat" in the first place. The one person no one gives credit to......but was HIS post that inspired me to bring the dat into existence.

That person was NESticle.

This dat isn't really all that old. Just a little over a year old actually. Apr 15 2007 was the "magic" date, so to speak. The one post that started it all. Quite an amazing accomplishment the dat has become in such a short time, eh? It was actually much later when I made it a unofficially official GBAtemp cheat dat.

The ENTIRE history of the dat (minus background PM's, which might be obvious if you read through the ENTIRE history) starts here:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=49013

That thread will take you through the ENTIRE history. The end of the thread will have a link to the NEXT chapter in the history all the way up the current events. You will even learn of the one person who who started the "backlight code" addition to all games, as well as the person who actually created the code. Big thanks go out to both of them. It's very handy for flashcarts that don't have native support for the function. Read through the history to find out who they were.

Congratulations to Narin for making the dat what it always should have been. I'm glad to be a GBAtemp member and tickled to have played such a major part in its history. I'm happy that many of the the GBAtemp members got involved in the expansion of the dat. It was what I ALWAYS wanted the dat to be....the "GBAtemp Community Cheat dat", and that's what it has become.....in more ways than I ever I had the scope for.

Congratulaions to the ENTIRE GBAtemp community for the great accomplishment we have ALL achieved. Don't forget all the hackers who's codes reside in the dat. A VERY humble thanks to the "code-gods" out there.
bow.gif
It is a culmination of talent and determination that brought this dat to life, from its humble beginnings to the monster it is now.

Datel's interest in the dat may seem a little disturbing, but it DOES prove that "project: GBAtemp cheat dat" has truly achieved greatness.

Cheers to everyone involved.

And finally.......Happy 4th of July everyone! Enjoy the show and stay safe.

grog.gif

Gore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kobykaan said:
My biggest fear is that this once great cheat database will now come at a cost! ... instead of free as its always been
frown.gif
Datel is a company, not the devil reincarnate.
Besides, Narin maintains it, not Datel.
They can't charge for it.

asuri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Might want to get approval from some of the people a kodewerx they weren't too happy when they found out datel was stealing codes from them before.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
As I said before, The only Codes Datel are using from the cheat database are the codes I created or help create for several games and they are not using the entire cheat database.

Also Rayder, great post my friend. It was a good read.
smile.gif
I have not forgotten you at all, if anything, I look up to you for all the time and dedication you put into making the cheat dat what it is today.

Narin

The Cheat Master, kupo!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
cheats.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Zeld said:
DjoeN said:
Like:
gardevor
Hiei-YYH
kenobi
King Rhyono
*sniff*

What, are none of my codes in there? I thought at least my infamous Aim Bot would be D:

The Aim Bot wasn't added due to it working on WiFi and ruins WiFi play. If you make a version that works on single player missions, I'll add it.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Zeld said:
DjoeN said:
Like:
gardevor
Hiei-YYH
kenobi
King Rhyono
*sniff*

What, are none of my codes in there? I thought at least my infamous Aim Bot would be D:

Your name IS in the credits & help.txt. Even if you don't have a code in the dat, that aimbot is one killer code and deserved the recognition in the credits even though the actual code itself isn't in the dat.

The GBAtemp dat has been deemed "safe" for the general public. Most (if not all) online WiFi have been removed from the dat. Local WiFi yes, online no. If people want the online-type cheats, they will have to find and add them themselves. We don't want every 8 year-old kid with a shiny new flashcart (that mommy & daddy hooked them up with) to have instant access to online devastation the likes of which you have never seen, do we? No, I think not.

We also don't want to start offending Nintendo on their own servers. If they thought this dat was responsible for the online devastation, they would close it down quick. Hence, no online WiFi codes in the dat.....to the best of our knowledge.

The aimbot is more "underground" than most codes. It totally devastates online play. Any one person online NOT using it is a splat mark on the wall. Many online codes are that nasty, but yours took some real talent to create, therfore your name is in the credits.

At least with local WiFi, you can usually tell who would be cheating and you can coordinate with all the players involved about using cheats to keep things fair. That's one thing you can't guarantee online. That's why online cheats aren't in the dat. If you made up an aimbot that only works on local WiFi, but not online, it would be added immediately, I'm sure of that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse