Hacking Datel Powersaves now supports Pokemon X/Y

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftokinito

Trophies
XP
Country
There was definitely an issue with the Garchomp code. There was a rash of posters on multiple forums who had serious problems after applying it. Either the game wasn't recognized by either Powersaves or 3DS or it would constantly crash after a short period of time. Once these issues started to surface, the code was taken down. It was some time before it was returned to the line up. It was also at that time that rollout of codes essentially froze for about a week (I'm assuming to triple check new planned codes.)

Also, it's impossible to activate a code before the powersaves tab gets it's red check mark. That check mark doesn't appear until it has downloaded the data needed to display what is available for that game. Both tabs become live at the same time. If you don't believe me, click on the cheat tab before the powersaves tab gets its exclamation mark. It will say something along the lines that it is checking with the server (I can't remember the exact wording.)

Now before everybody panics, since the original event Garchomp code was rolled back, the reports of bricks have dramatically decreased. I have only seen just a few reports and let's face it, you will find bad carts out there if you look hard enough (I'm not implying that the people who have posted their post Garchomp bricks are liars.) The reason I said what I did about not using it on my primary cart is mainly due to the fact that I have 2 carts, and I figure why tempt fate especially for an event/item that I can just trade over to myself after I apply the edit?

First of all, until Datel removed the Garchomp code (in fact, until 1-2 days after they removed it), the tabs loaded before the cart OPs were downloaded which confused people and led to cart/save corruption.
Please, inform yourself before randomly speaking out loud.

The only reasons why those reports have decreased are:
1) The tabs don't load until the OPs are downloaded now.
2) People is no longer in a rush to get all the event mons before they remove them. (You cann pretty easily damage your cart's contacts by inserting it too hard on the powersaves dongle).
3) Powersaves and cart bricking has become mainstream so it does not have as much impact as it had when it was new and no one expected it to happen.

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First of all, until Datel removed the Garchomp code (in fact, until 1-2 days after they removed it), the tabs loaded before the cart OPs were downloaded which confused people and led to cart/save corruption.
Please, inform yourself before randomly speaking out loud.

The only reasons why those reports have decreased are:
1) The tabs don't load until the OPs are downloaded now.
2) People is no longer in a rush to get all the event mons before they remove them. (You cann pretty easily damage your cart's contacts by inserting it too hard on the powersaves dongle).
3) Powersaves and cart bricking has become mainstream so it does not have as much impact as it had when it was new and no one expected it to happen.

I actually have had the device since the initial rollout of the pokemon codes so I'm familiar about the interface and wasn't ill informed. I could be wrong, but I just don't recall the tabs ever being loaded independently of each other. If I'm wrong about that, I will concede that point.

The whole contact thing that you mentioned may explain a few, but not all the incidences of bricking. There was clearly a relationship with the use of that one code and the bricking of carts. If there wasn't a serious code flaw, why would they not release that code again immediately? If you recall, that is when we went for about a week before any more codes were rolled out, which I assume they were triple checking codes again.

If it was all due to people just damaging their contacts or removing their game before the file was written, why was it just that one code that gave people problems? If you remember, Diancie and AZ Floette were being used like their was no tomorrow as well as the shiny codes when they rolled out and nobody had bricking issues. If it was all due to end user factors, we should have seen reports of bricking with all the codes and not just one.

Reactions: lordofthereef

aftokinito

Trophies
XP
Country
I actually have had the device since the initial rollout of the pokemon codes so I'm familiar about the interface and wasn't ill informed. I could be wrong, but I just don't recall the tabs ever being loaded independently of each other. If I'm wrong about that, I will concede that point.

The whole contact thing that you mentioned may explain a few, but not all the incidences of bricking. There was clearly a relationship with the use of that one code and the bricking of carts. If there wasn't a serious code flaw, why would they not release that code again immediately? If you recall, that is when we went for about a week before any more codes were rolled out, which I assume they were triple checking codes again.

If it was all due to people just damaging their contacts or removing their game before the file was written, why was it just that one code that gave people problems? If you remember, Diancie and AZ Floette were being used like their was no tomorrow as well as the shiny codes when they rolled out and nobody had bricking issues. If it was all due to end user factors, we should have seen reports of bricking with all the codes and not just one.

To put it simple, no codes can brick your cartridge because all the codes are handled the same way, a way that removes any possibility of bricking.
This is the procedure Datel is following:
1) Extract the SAVE from the cart using the encrypted OPs of your cart (the save offset is revealed with one of those OPs)
2) Gather the selected code IDs
3) Send the SAVE to the server
4) Send the code IDs to the server
5) Decrypt the save using a 3DS that can run arbitrary code
6) Overwrite some parts of the save (Item 1 for example) with the values wanted for that code
7) Re-encrypt the save using a 3DS that can run arbitrary code
8) Fix the hashes
9) Send the SAVE back to the user
10) Inject the save into the cart using the offset we got on 1)

The code NEVER interacts with your cart directly, and, since only the SAVE is uploaded to their server, the codes can ONLY patch your save, NEVER your cart.

What I see here is a lot of Nintendo fanboys faking bricks (how many video proofs do we have, 1? And that 1 was related to another brick type) to destroy Powersaves' reputation.

h448

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I see here is a lot of Nintendo fanboys faking bricks (how many video proofs do we have, 1? And that 1 was related to another brick type) to destroy Powersaves' reputation.

LOL do you want me to show you a video of how my game doesn't show up on any of the 3dses I have? and how it doesn't show up on Powersaves either?
I don't see any reason to lie about how I'm stuck with two useless pieces of plastic but I mean if you want to pretend it's 100% safe that's fine too I guess. I don't know how it toasted them and maybe it's just a fault in Nintendo's 3ds games in general so maybe it could happen to any of them completely randomly at any time but for now I'm going to assume it was Powersaves' fault especially considering I've seen other people with my exact same problem doing the exact same thing I did (Garchomp wondercard). The second game died without any major code usage though so I'm not as sure what happened to that one... hopefully that one was just because it was a used cart and already had faulty connection.

aftokinito

Trophies
XP
Country
LOL do you want me to show you a video of how my game doesn't show up on any of the 3dses I have? and how it doesn't show up on Powersaves either?
I don't see any reason to lie about how I'm stuck with two useless pieces of plastic but I mean if you want to pretend it's 100% safe that's fine too I guess. I don't know how it toasted them and maybe it's just a fault in Nintendo's 3ds games in general so maybe it could happen to any of them completely randomly at any time but for now I'm going to assume it was Powersaves' fault especially considering I've seen other people with my exact same problem doing the exact same thing I did (Garchomp wondercard). The second game died without any major code usage though so I'm not as sure what happened to that one... hopefully that one was just because it was a used cart and already had faulty connection.

Please, read the procedure I wrote above, it clearly shows how Powersaves can NOT brick your cart based on codes.
Of course, it can brick your cart if the encrypted OP does not return the correct save offset or if, for some reason, the Powersaves clientside software does not read/write to the correct offset but codes can NOT alter your cart as they are applied to your SAVE.

h448

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please, read the procedure I wrote above, it clearly shows how Powersaves can NOT brick your cart based on codes.
Of course, it can brick your cart if the encrypted OP does not return the correct save offset or if, for some reason, the Powersaves clientside software does not read/write to the correct offset but codes can NOT alter your cart as they are applied to your SAVE.

I've had Powersaves corrupt my save countless times but it did eventually kill my cartridge and I DO have two ruined games, one of which had no codes used whatsoever and I'm not the kind of person that doesn't wait for stuff to actually show up on the screen or hastily pull out the cart before anything's done downloading. One was just for backing up/restoring saves. Don't just assume people are lying because they're Nintendo fanboys out to ruin the reputation of your cheating device lmao

Reactions: MGS1980

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Alright, my Powersaves arrived today and so far it's pretty cool - if there wasn't that strange problem with Pokemon X and it (the device) losing the connection to the cartridge somehow (short appearing of the "no game inserted" window). Strangely, this only happens (at least in my case) when I look at the Codes tab (after it finished loading the codes obviously). If I'm quick enough to select and activate a code, it does the whole thing (reading game, uploading save, waiting for server to finish, downloading save, writing save on cart) without any problem.
From reading this thread a couple times I know I'm not the only one with that kind of problem with Pokemon X (which apparently doesn't happen as much/at all with Y?) but it still is a rather strange thing.
Oh well, now I'm hoping for Datel to add more codes for Pokemon and the other games I got (like Inazuma Eleven 3: Team Ogre - no codes yet :( ).

h448

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I made a video of me showing my current functioning cart and also one of my dead carts (the retail X instead of my possibly poor quality used Y) inserted into two 3dses and also the Powersaves itself. Note: the video is kinda bad because I only have a cellphone to record with:

If you want a clearer video I can ask for a second pair of hands next time :lol:

On topic: It appears the Birthday Glaceon is available as a wondercard now. If that's old news I apologise!

Reactions: lordofthereef

MGS1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

However if one particular code (the Garchomp code) had some sort of programming error on the Datel side that saw their process apply the edit incorrectly when it went to rewrite the save back to the cart, then wouldn't that be a code related brick? The saves are much more intimately attached to the actual games than the Card 1 games which stored them on separately on EEPROM. As you have already correctly stated, if it was rewritten at the wrong offset, then you have major problems.

The fact is that one particular code for whatever reason (most likely a consistent error in returning the save to a correct offset) caused a noticeable uptick in bricks. If it was all anti cheating/hacking fanboys trying to scare people, there should have been a flood of them for Diancie, AZ Floette, and instant shiny bricking reports instead of trying to scare people away from using a code to get a hacked event of one of the most easily obtained events on most trade boards.

Blaming it all on fanboys and trolls reminds me of all the controversy over the Gateway bricking reports. I will admit that with the first few reports, I thought it was just trolls. Then we found out about the brick code. Then came the trusted, ardent Gateway supporters getting bricked. Then finally we had undisputed proof how to trigger a brick using a Gateway. Just because a hacking group or company releases a product doesn't mean that it is perfect. After all, they are doing things to manipulate a system that nobody still completely understands how it all works or else we wouldn't need Datel at all. It is an exciting time though as we have seen recently and hopefully they will find some way of dumping how the encryption keys are generated to an area that can actually be read.

Alright, my Powersaves arrived today and so far it's pretty cool - if there wasn't that strange problem with Pokemon X and it (the device) losing the connection to the cartridge somehow (short appearing of the "no game inserted" window). Strangely, this only happens (at least in my case) when I look at the Codes tab (after it finished loading the codes obviously). If I'm quick enough to select and activate a code, it does the whole thing (reading game, uploading save, waiting for server to finish, downloading save, writing save on cart) without any problem.
From reading this thread a couple times I know I'm not the only one with that kind of problem with Pokemon X (which apparently doesn't happen as much/at all with Y?) but it still is a rather strange thing.
Oh well, now I'm hoping for Datel to add more codes for Pokemon and the other games I got (like Inazuma Eleven 3: Team Ogre - no codes yet :( ).

Unfortunately it does seem that there a still a few people having issues with X carts. One of the updates seemed to fix it for many people. To be honest I don't really use it much on my X cart since I started using it early on Y without the connection problems that people were having. Hopefully they will resolve whatever issue is causing this with the few remaining people who are having difficulty.

By any chance, did you try to use a different USB cable? I did see a few reports that, after swapping cables, this fixed some people's problems with X recently. Apparently some USB cables have been faulty and dropping the connection to the computer

lordofthereef

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Claiming that this is fanboys pretty much made you lose all credibility for me. Not that you probably care particularly, but there were already holes in your claims from the getgo. Oh well. Hopefully this thread doesn't evolve into another silly tangent as a result of these claims....

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so this may have already been discussed in this super long thread, but it seem some of you have a handle on how this product works, so my question is what type of file does the Datel create if you just do a backup of your own type 1 cart save? Is it just a raw encrypted dump of the 512k eeprom?

I am using Gateway and am wondering if anyone has tried using Omega 2.1 to dump their own cart and then powersave to dump their game save and test if this works by just renaming the save file to the convention gateway uses and putting it on the SD card. It seems if we can get a raw dump then this should work as the save shouldn't have to be decrypted/encrypted if its being used with your rom dump.

Kaphotics

badc0ded
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so this may have already been discussed in this super long thread, but it seem some of you have a handle on how this product works, so my question is what type of file does the Datel create if you just do a backup of your own type 1 cart save? Is it just a raw encrypted dump of the 512k eeprom?

I am using Gateway and am wondering if anyone has tried using Omega 2.1 to dump their own cart and then powersave to dump their game save and test if this works by just renaming the save file to the convention gateway uses and putting it on the SD card. It seems if we can get a raw dump then this should work as the save shouldn't have to be decrypted/encrypted if its being used with your rom dump.

Gateway dumps store the SAV in the .3ds file at the end; there's a thread that deals with extracting the sav that way.

Datel also allows backup of retail carts. The end result is the same, a 1MB encrypted save which can only be decrypted by the 3DS.

Babali

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to get the HA Glaceon with the new Glaceon code by soft-resetting? This is possible, correct? To eventually get one with Ice Body?

Edit: The official Wondercards MUST be set abilities? It keeps coming out Snow Cloak. Should give the Master Ball code a try I guess?

h448

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trying to get the HA Glaceon with the new Glaceon code by soft-resetting? This is possible, correct? To eventually get one with Ice Body?

Edit: The official Wondercards MUST be set abilities? It keeps coming out Snow Cloak. Should give the Master Ball code a try I guess?

The JP/Birthday Glaceon on the Wondercard? No, I don't think Birthday Pokemon come with their HA.
Using the Master Ball code will work though :)

Reactions: Babali

signz

Timelord
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
By any chance, did you try to use a different USB cable? I did see a few reports that, after swapping cables, this fixed some people's problems with X recently. Apparently some USB cables have been faulty and dropping the connection to the computer
Yup, been using the cable that came with my digicam many months ago (xmas 2004, lol) but I didn't try the short cable that came with the Powersaves tho, haha. I'll do that right now!
<insertacoupleminuteswaitingtime>
Didn't change anything, but I guessed as much. I think I do have another cable like those somewhere, gonna take a look and try again later.

Shadowstorm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In regards to all this arguing over what caused the carts to brick. It could've been anything from the 3DS to Bank to the ARPS device being faulty to the USB Cable being faulty to something on your computer. There are too many factors that could've caused this to happen. I personally thing that what killed 5 of my cartridges (only had to actually pay for 2) was the USB cable since ever since I swapped it out for the one I use for my External HDD enclosure, I've had no issues. I found out that the cable doesn't provide nearly enough power since it wouldn't power my External.

h448

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In regards to all this arguing over what caused the carts to brick. It could've been anything from the 3DS to Bank to the ARPS device being faulty to the USB Cable being faulty to something on your computer. There are too many factors that could've caused this to happen. I personally thing that what killed 5 of my cartridges (only had to actually pay for 2) was the USB cable since ever since I swapped it out for the one I use for my External HDD enclosure, I've had no issues. I found out that the cable doesn't provide nearly enough power since it wouldn't power my External.

I'd switched out the USB for one from one of my old digital cameras after the first game died and the second one still went anyway but I have had absolutely no problems with my third game so far so maybe the first one was due to the faulty cable and the second one was a freak accident.

Shadowstorm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd switched out the USB for one from one of my old digital cameras after the first game died and the second one still went anyway but I have had absolutely no problems with my third game so far so maybe the first one was due to the faulty cable and the second one was a freak accident.

It's a possibility. I mean considering it IS an action replay it's a risk we will always run of just freak stuff killing cartridges. I just take it with a grain of salt and try not to overexert on it though I am going to make an attempt at genning about 10-20 TSV's again to help the hatching community (at one point I had 50 TSV's active, though I only used it for 15 hatches, all on 1 cartridge which lasted the longest out of all of them strangely enough)

h448

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a possibility. I mean considering it IS an action replay it's a risk we will always run of just freak stuff killing cartridges. I just take it with a grain of salt and try not to overexert on it though I am going to make an attempt at genning about 10-20 TSV's again to help the hatching community (at one point I had 50 TSV's active, though I only used it for 15 hatches, all on 1 cartridge which lasted the longest out of all of them strangely enough)

Haha damn! You're nuts :lol: 50 TSVs? How can you stand watching the beginning of the game over and over that many times? It's nice that you're helping out the community though.
Hopefully Datel's been more careful with recently released codes and no one will have any more issues. I haven't gotten as many corrupted saves on my 3rd game, even with the new Wondercard codes, so I think that's promising already!

Reactions: RemixDeluxe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqw6t28P9po