Hacking Datel announced work on Wiioader

dokool

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Article from http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/wii/wii-freel...-way-222054.php

And now that Datel have announced they're working on a Wii version, I love them even more. No word on ETA or price, or even how it'll work, but it'll be "soon", apparently. As long as Nintendo don't go blocking it as part of any future firmware updates, there's good times ahead for Wii owners.

Go Datel! Hopefully they pull it off sooner rather than later. Can't wait to buy some Japanese Wii games.

Jannibal

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm wondering if Nintendo will tackle this with firmware updates on a regular basis. If so it would render the Freeloader pretty useless, I'm afraid.
But I really, hope that Nintendo will let us poor europeans import some american games and let us use the freeloader.

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oohhhh. I neeeeeed this. My inlaws from japan brought us a J wii. We have Freeloader 1.06b so I think we'll be all right for our mix of J and U Gamecube games, but dang I really don't want to be stuck buying only J import Wii games. It'll be nice to have access to the Japanese VC list, though.
wink.gif

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Usually when datel release something for a console not long after the console is cracked. Regular firmware updates arn't always the answer, just look at the PSP. Sony release a new firmware update and in days its cracked. I'm not just talking about Nintendo here, sometimes the firmware updates seem to brick a few consoles. So just imagine how many wiis could be bricked if nintendo released firmware every few weeks.

Ad_Enuff

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm completely unsure why Nintendo allows region free gaming on all of their handhelds, yet when it comes down to desktop home consoles they regionalise them.

I just dont see the point.

The PS2, XB, XB360 and the LONG awited PS3 all have regional issues due to DVD playback and that regionalisation was introduced as part of the deal with film studios, but the Wii currently doesnt allow for DVD palyabck and it seems that it will never will be added unless a new model comes out or a firmware upgrade unlocks it.

Nintendo obviously want the Wii to be a gaming platform only as with all there other systems. So there again I'm at a loss of why they feel that I should be able to import official Wii games from around the world should I wish to do so.

At this point the DATEL sounds great, but how easy will it be for Nintendo to upgrade their Firmwares to circumvent these?

Time will tell....

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm completely unsure why Nintendo allows region free gaming on all of their handhelds, yet when it comes down to desktop home consoles they regionalise them.

The PS2, XB, XB360 and the LONG awited PS3 all have regional issues due to DVD playback and that regionalisation was introduced as part of the deal with film studios, but the Wii currently doesnt allow for DVD palyabck and it seems that it will never will be added unless a new model comes out or a firmware upgrade unlocks it.

Nintendo obviously want the Wii to be a gaming platform only as with all there other systems. So there again I'm at a loss of why they feel that I should be able to import official Wii games from around the world should I wish to do so.

At this point the DATEL sounds great, but how easy will it be for Nintendo to upgrade their Firmwares to circumvent these?

Time will tell....
This reminds me, my local WHsmith was selling region free DVD players so the whole movie region lockout is a bit useless. Region free gaming is nice and I was a little excited when the PS3 was meant to be region free.... until they announced it was up to the publishers if they wanted to region lock it. In all honesty, only a handful of games would make me want to import them from Japan/USA in the first place...

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

Time will tell....

I think nintendo did talk about region free games. Sony mentioned doing it with the PS3 and Microsoft with the 360. It would be a good idea so people in europe can get the game early and save money. The 360 does have a few region free games. I still don't know why consoles arn't region free (It may also stop the I'm modding my console to play imports excuse). I for one am glad that the DS is region free. It took 6 months for games like Animal Crossing and Trauma Centre to be released in Europe.

Lukeage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It is all about artificial markets. I can get DS games in Australia imported from the US for about $10 less than the ones released here. I recently saw (at the same shop) a US import of some wrestling game for the 360 which was $53 less than the Australian retail price.

For example, games for the Wii cost US$50, which is about AU$65, yet the games here cost AU$100.

DVD regioning was done for the exact same reason....

EDIT: BTW, this is actually against Australian law which allows for unrestricted trade, which is why modchips that allow for games from other regions to be played are legal here.

magebarf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
On the topic of Datel's freeloader and blocking it in firmware...

Does anyone remember how they did it for the gamecube at all? IIRC the Freeloader for the gamecube didn't have a unique identification code, it "stole" NFL Blitz's Disc ID, and therefore it made it impossible for Nintendo to stop it in future revisions of the console. The only thing I'm a bit unsure about is the title, I'm not 100% sure that it was NFL blitz.

So, as for the reasoning that Nintendo will be able to block it, yeah sure, but I don't think Datel has gone any more stupid, and as such the blocking isn't something that'll be practically possible for Nintendo, if they don't want to start replacing games to give them new Disc IDs or start scanning the whole contents of the disc before allowing the player to start a game. And even then, you've got the whole playing catch game on again, without any hazzle what so ever each time they update.

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
EDIT: BTW, this is actually against Australian law which allows for unrestricted trade, which is why modchips that allow for games from other regions to be played are legal here.
Not sure if you know it but thanks to the "free" trade agreement our government has signed with the US modchips will be illegal from the end of January in Australia.
Though I believe they are legal in the states still. This free trade agreement is one of the worst things to happen to Australian consumers.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: now i'm not gay, but hear me out