Damn hard drives

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware, Devices and Accessories' started by nloding, Jun 10, 2008.

Jun 10, 2008

Damn hard drives by nloding at 3:32 AM (1,324 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. nloding
    OP

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    First, my laptop HDD dies a three months ago. So I buy a brand spanking new Seagate, and it's great ... for three weeks. Then it dies. So I buy another, that one's on RMA still, and it's going in another unit I have as a backup.

Then the main HDD in my desktop dies. Then the secondary in it dies.

Then the HDD in my web server takes a shit.

GAH!

Sorry, had to whine a bit. I'm EXTREMELY frustrated. Technology is awesome, but sometimes you just get lemons, and apparently, lemons fly to me like metal to a magnet.

2. camx

Member camx GBAtemp Fan

United States
    doesn't sound random to me, blaming all the drives instead of the possibility of user error

3. zidane_genome

Member zidane_genome My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?

United States
    ha... got one on ya... about 5 months ago, my 200Gig desktop drive goes... and it was 2 days out of warranty... 2 freakin days... less than 48 hours! And they refused to replace it... needless to say, I'm never buying another Seagate ever again...

I just got rid of my ComCrap service, so I ripped apart the HD/DVR box which I'm not returning, and got a nice 160gig SATA drive out of it... lol

4. nloding
    OP

United States
    The first hard drive in the laptop was user error (kinda maybe dropped it). The drive in my web server was old age.

The rest were just shit luck. I make my living as a network engineer and a computer technician. I know how to handle equipment.

5. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    i heard if you have sex with your computer hardware, they'll be nice to you... so I've heard [​IMG]

but- my maxtor and seagates are fine here, though, my seagate is acting up, wont boot sometimes

6. Gman 101

Member Gman 101 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    Seagate is getting too powerful. Too much money and they're making shit now. All for the sake of profits. Sounds like EA.

Western Digital is the way [​IMG]

7. Commander

Member Commander GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Too be honest, I think it might be something to do with something you did that caused the drive failure.
    My torrent box is 7 years old, never changed anything in it and its still live and kicking, never had any problems with it.

As Gman 101 said WD is the way to go or IBM/Hitachi, both great HDD manufacturers, you know better yet SSD are even better, just not very cost effective, Intel are starting to mass produce them soon so the prices should drop rapidly.

~ Commander

8. rhyguy

Member rhyguy GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    You sure youre just not being horrible to your hds

have a 8 year old comp with a seagate 120gb hd, and its still working well (heavy torrenting)

9. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    ouch, maybe your hard drives are committing suicide? not sure of the reason though.

10. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    I always used hitachi(even though they have a bad reputation with "deathstar" drives but they were bought out and are now much better)

11. MystikEkoez

Member MystikEkoez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Maybe it's due to environmental conditions?
    There's always Solid State Hard Drives. [​IMG]

12. coolbho3000

Member coolbho3000 GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic

SSDs are way, way too expensive, though... and they die after 100,000 write cycles.

I just had a Seagate die on me. It was basically DOA. Loaded Vista into it, and then it immediately started squeaking.

13. nloding
    OP

United States
    It's just shit luck on getting drives that are well-built out of the box. You can get a lemon anything (lemon car from a great manufacturer, lemon DVD movie, lemon hard drives). It happens, I just happened to have a long string of it. I've never had a single drive go bad until now. I still have a 4.3GB drive I bought 10 years ago that's running brilliantly.

I just went out and splurged $100 on a 500GB "green power" WD. Happy with it so far, quite fast actually, I was expecting it to be slow.