nloding

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
First, my laptop HDD dies a three months ago. So I buy a brand spanking new Seagate, and it's great ... for three weeks. Then it dies. So I buy another, that one's on RMA still, and it's going in another unit I have as a backup.

Then the main HDD in my desktop dies. Then the secondary in it dies.

Then the HDD in my web server takes a shit.

GAH!

Sorry, had to whine a bit. I'm EXTREMELY frustrated. Technology is awesome, but sometimes you just get lemons, and apparently, lemons fly to me like metal to a magnet.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ha... got one on ya... about 5 months ago, my 200Gig desktop drive goes... and it was 2 days out of warranty... 2 freakin days... less than 48 hours! And they refused to replace it... needless to say, I'm never buying another Seagate ever again...

I just got rid of my ComCrap service, so I ripped apart the HD/DVR box which I'm not returning, and got a nice 160gig SATA drive out of it... lol

nloding

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The first hard drive in the laptop was user error (kinda maybe dropped it). The drive in my web server was old age.

The rest were just shit luck. I make my living as a network engineer and a computer technician. I know how to handle equipment.

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
i heard if you have sex with your computer hardware, they'll be nice to you... so I've heard
unsure.gif

but- my maxtor and seagates are fine here, though, my seagate is acting up, wont boot sometimes

Commander

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Too be honest, I think it might be something to do with something you did that caused the drive failure.
My torrent box is 7 years old, never changed anything in it and its still live and kicking, never had any problems with it.

As Gman 101 said WD is the way to go or IBM/Hitachi, both great HDD manufacturers, you know better yet SSD are even better, just not very cost effective, Intel are starting to mass produce them soon so the prices should drop rapidly.

~ Commander

rhyguy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You sure youre just not being horrible to your hds

have a 8 year old comp with a seagate 120gb hd, and its still working well (heavy torrenting)

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
nloding said:
First, my laptop HDD dies a three months ago. So I buy a brand spanking new Seagate, and it's great ... for three weeks. Then it dies. So I buy another, that one's on RMA still, and it's going in another unit I have as a backup.

Then the main HDD in my desktop dies. Then the secondary in it dies.

Then the HDD in my web server takes a shit.

GAH!

Sorry, had to whine a bit. I'm EXTREMELY frustrated. Technology is awesome, but sometimes you just get lemons, and apparently, lemons fly to me like metal to a magnet.

ouch, maybe your hard drives are committing suicide? not sure of the reason though.

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always used hitachi(even though they have a bad reputation with "deathstar" drives but they were bought out and are now much better)

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
SSDs are way, way too expensive, though... and they die after 100,000 write cycles.

I just had a Seagate die on me. It was basically DOA. Loaded Vista into it, and then it immediately started squeaking.

nloding

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's just shit luck on getting drives that are well-built out of the box. You can get a lemon anything (lemon car from a great manufacturer, lemon DVD movie, lemon hard drives). It happens, I just happened to have a long string of it. I've never had a single drive go bad until now. I still have a 4.3GB drive I bought 10 years ago that's running brilliantly.

I just went out and splurged $100 on a 500GB "green power" WD. Happy with it so far, quite fast actually, I was expecting it to be slow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: These cotton candy grapes be pretty addictive