1. Subtle Demise

United States
    What are everyone's thoughts on the game? I got about an hour into it before having to leave for work, and I am not sure if it was worth waiting for. That montage after the failed (and disappointing) carjacking job leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Makes the game feel unfinished, and after 8 years and multiple delays, it's just sad. It's like they gloss over an entire chapter filled with fun diversions and interesting missions and plot details and drop you at the beginning of a quest with no context and tons of questions. Who? Why? Where? Are we cops now (I chose the street kid path this playthrough)?

Not to mention the graphics and janky M+KB controls. The graphics are noticeably last gen (the character model during character creation looks god-awful) on high settings. Mouse sensitivity needs cranked up or else it's like controlling the baby in Fallout 3. Plus the keybindings are counter-intuitive.

I'll give it a better chance when I get home, but so far I actually feel a little sad and disappointed.

Last edited by Subtle Demise, Dec 10, 2020
  2. alexander1970

alexander1970 Try to Live in here and now.

Austria
    Maybe it is really true....:lol:

https://gbatemp.net/threads/is-some...ut-problems-like-on-the-homepage-said.578658/

Subtle Demise likes this.
  3. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

United States
    I was going to be picking it up today to play on a base PS4, but the shitshow I awoke to this morning scared me into cancelling it.

4. gameboy

gameboy GBAtemp Addict

United States
    nobody should be defending this piece of trash game. 8 million preorders LMFAO (including myself). My pc physical case order got delayed until next week, so I pirated the game, and I tried to cancel my preorder but they wouldnt let me just straight cancel it LOL i have to mail it back and the whole shabang. Its garbage even on PC.

The graphics are straight up 2014 Xbox One launch title graphics and most parts of the game are poorly lighted without ray tracing. The pop in is bad on all hardware, the texture loads are bad on all hardware, the glitches are bad on all hardware. Its unfinished broken mess. the npc have weird neck cranks and slide sometimes, most of them are smoking and the animations are broken lol.

I dont think Ive ever seen anything like it. Maybe Call of Duty WW2 when they couldnt get anything right until 8 months after release on a 1yr cycle game...

Flame, Subtle Demise and Glyptofane like this.
  5. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

I'm about 7 hours in and this is easily one of the most atmospheric game worlds I've ever been in. The story is great so far and the writing is good, if a bit cringy at times. The part that sticks out the most though is the audio/visual aspect. It is simply amazing what CDPR have managed to achieve here on a technical level. This game should be the showcase for what raytracing can accomplish if done properly.. I found myself just walking around exploring the city to admire the lighting effects on every different texture and surface.

I've also been really lucky in that I didn't see a single glitch or crash in my 7 hours so far, but I'm sure I will eventually. I did have a couple things I thought needed improving but as I'm writing this I've forgotten what they were.

Edit: Remembered one of them, the mini-map path to follow is a bit off and sometimes you end up missing turns or not knowing exactly where to go because of it.

Last edited by subcon959, Dec 11, 2020
    Xzi, Memoir and Subtle Demise like this.
  6. Subtle Demise

United States
    I'm trying to give it a chance, but I'm thinking I should leave it in the back log until it starts to get fixed. It definitely wasn't going to be complete this year, because as I predicted it suffered from feature creep and development hell. Trying desperately to combine the gameplay from a bunch of games that released since the 2012 announcement, while trying to throw the entire tabletop game into it as well. The result is just really depressing. There is definitely potential there, as I really love immersive sims like the Deus Ex series and System Shock, etc. but they obviously blew too much money on marketing, and didn't invest enough into their dev team.

Let this be a lesson to the people who say "I don't mind that they delayed it, you want a buggy mess!?" Add this one onto the pile along with DNF, Too Human, No Man's Sky, Star Citizen, etc. Games that either released too late to be relevant, or that needed another year of development time despite numerous delays. Wish people would learn release dates are marketing and have almost nothing to do with the actual product. Games can be feature complete and mostly bug free months before release, or unfinished and broken months after.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Idk, I think Death Stranding on PC looks way better, but do you think slow hard drive mode might have something to do with it? I don't have enough space on my SSDs to see what the game is like without it.

gameboy likes this.
  7. D34DL1N3R

D34DL1N3R Nephilim

United States
    What problems did you have that you feel an SSD may remedy? I didn't see anything mentioned in your OP.

8. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    Whinny kids nowdays will simply complain on anything..... Honestly I played it like GTA 6!

9. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

United States
    I've heard more praise than criticism. If you think this looks like an XB1 launch title, you should stop playing on trash hardware.

10. Subtle Demise

United States
    People are saying the graphics are awesome, but either I have a setting wrong (everything I saw defaulted to high, so idk), or it's due to texture streaming or DLSS or some combination of the two. The hair looks like it's from PS3/360 gen, and everything just sort of looks muddy like an early Xbone/PS4 game. i9-9900k @ 5ghz, RTX 2070, and 16 GB Corsair DDR5 (I think it's 5 anyway), so it should look great at 1080p/144hz that my monitor supports.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

What? They cut a bunch of the story and replaced it with a short cutscene, and then it doesn't even run properly on current gen consoles. I guess some people will worship game companies no matter what for some unknown reason.

gameboy and sarkwalvein like this.
  11. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    I loved the plot, guess this is highly my personal opinion.
    NO, I DIDN'T, I play on PC and so far it's flawless, dunno how 's doing console players but i told my friends who bought it on PC to turn off RTX and it solved 99% of crash.
    To be honest, RTX is overrated and technology still has loooooooong road before devs can use it properly.

Last edited by leon315, Dec 11, 2020
  12. Subtle Demise

United States
    I haven't had a crash yet, just some lipsync glitches and a guy walking through a locked gate but it still looks ugly to me for some reason.

13. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

I mean, if you have an SSD then you should definitely be using it over a HDD especially for a game like this, but I'm not sure if it would help with graphics. I'm running it on an NVME drive and it literally takes about 2 seconds to start the game so I'm sure it's helping a lot with the overall experience too. Our CPU's are the same too, but I'm using a 2080TI and 32GB RAM. If it helps, the main thing I remember changing in settings was to turn off all the stuff like Film Grain, Chromatic Aberration and Lens Flare. I also reduced Motion Blur to low. Maybe it looks better because I'm on 1440p instead of 1080p?

Edit: Should also mention, I'm using an XBOX controller as I didn't like the K+M as much, plus I chose the Nomad path as I read that is the best one for the first playthrough.

Last edited by subcon959, Dec 11, 2020
  14. Subtle Demise

United States
    Just read an article about players turning off those post processing effects to make the game less blurry looking. I didn't think to try that.

15. Seliph

Seliph Devout Transphobe <3

United States
    It's pretty ideologically sterile for a Cyberpunk themed game as far as I can tell based on what I've heard and read. Umurangi Generation is a lot better in that respect.

Definitely needs a lot of patches too, it almost reminds me of skyrim with how ambitious the game is and how buggy it is.

Aesthetically the game is nice and I'm sure the gameplay is pretty good but it seems very... inoffensive for a Cyberpunk game. Not exactly my cup of tea from all I've seen but I may pick up the game after a few patches.

16. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

There's a new update for PC to bring the version to 1.0.4.. seems to fix several issues that some people had.

Subtle Demise and Seliph like this.
  17. Xzi

Xzi GBAtemp's Resident Plok Expert

United States
    I'm loving it so far. About ten hours in I'd say the frequency of bugs was definitely exaggerated by reviewers, and the game is among the most immersive first-person titles I've ever played. The tech they used for lip syncing is a big part of that I think...it's a massive improvement over the robotic NPCs of Skyrim or Fallout 4.

I wasn't bothered at all by the montage after the carjacking, in fact I just skipped it. It's not as though that actually takes away from available content/side quests in the game once you're able to free roam...it's just meant to establish V's friendship with Jackie.

Deleted User likes this.
  18. Subtle Demise

United States
    I just feel like it doesn't explain anything about how they ended up being mercenaries for hire, and you see all the cool stuff happening, but don't get to do any of it.

19. vincentx77

vincentx77 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    So far it's a bit too FPS for my liking. The graphics, however, are absolutely amazing, especially when you consider how big and cohesive the world seems to be. I'm not playing on console, though.

Also, my game has softlocked once due to bugs. When you first meet the Ripperdoc for your optical implant (this happens VERY early, so not a spoiler) I could put in the eye implant, but it wouldn't let me do the one on my hand, and therefore gave me no way to exit the augmentation menu.

By far, the biggest strike against it is the system requirements. I have an RTX 2080, and I can't quite manage a stable 60 fps at 1080p with medium settings. If I cap myself to 30, I can get away with some raytracing. I've heard people calling this game the new Crysis, and I think I agree wholeheartedly.

20. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

Germany
    I hope the game gets improved with further patches, but there's some part of it (e.g. storytelling) I believe can't be improved.

The game lacks polish and the storytelling has disappointed me a bit, many times it feels like it doesn't give you enough motivation, it doesn't build characters well enough and doesn't tell the story in a good enough way to immerse you in the narrative, some times it just feels cheap. E.g. the early point where the three different lifepaths "join" has a same-for-all "6 months passed" video sequence that both feels cheap and fails to immerse you in the story.

Also, other than storytelling, the bugs that plague the game many times get in the way of enjoying it.

Summary: disappointing but I can still extract enjoyment out of it.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Cyberpunk,