Cyanogenmod

Discussion in 'Android' started by rehevkor, Jan 15, 2012.

1. rehevkor
    OP

rehevkor GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2011
    Over the last 4 days I have been attempting to install Cyanogenmod (MiniCM7Pro c21 on an X10 Mini Pro)

This was not a pleasant experience, something seemed to go wrong at some point and I couldn't get out of a boot loop, even from backups (although everything still seemed to go smoothly otherwise). Only a full restore through SEUS could fix anything. When I did finally get it working, wifi refused to work and that took anoither day to get working.

Anyone else have such an experience? I may have just been unlucky - but part of the problem is that there are a lack of guides. The official guide is very non-descript and even says to install a kernel that simply doesn't exist. I suppose part of the battle is finding the correct combination ROM/kernel that works with your specific phone - but when you're treading unfamiliar ground that can be an up hill fight.

End of the day, I got it working and it's awesome. But I do feel like I wasted a good chunk of my life doing it.

2. Originality

Originality Chibi-neko

Apr 21, 2008
    London, UK
    It was simple and straight-forward for me, getting it installed on my two HTC Dreams (or T-Mobile G1, depending on which country you're in). I did around a month of research before I tried, but once I did try it was done in 10 minutes and worked fine.

Your experience depends on your phone.

3. Yatashi Strife

Yatashi Strife GBAtemp Fan

May 31, 2008
    United States
    The Void
    i installed cyanogenmod 7.1.0 on my on my htc evo 4g without any problems and it was my first time. i also installed it on a B&N Nook color as well. it is SO worth it, i love it! I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO STOCK AGAIN! XD

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    This sort of. I used to run Synergy Mode and I've gotten so used to all their tweaks when I switched to Cyanogen mod on my Evo I started to miss them...but oh well, I'll get used to this now I suppose.
    On topic, I looked up the guide. Seemed pretty straightforward. Must be some problem with your phone (or you).

5. FireEmblemGuy

FireEmblemGuy Celebrating a decade of shitposting

Jul 6, 2007
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I'd have to assume that the problem was mostly due to you using a Sony Ericsson phone. With my HTC Aria, it was as simple as a basic 1-click root, making sure the recovery tools were set up right, then putting the ROM I wanted to flash on the root of my card. Reboot into recovery, select the file to flash, and let it do its thing. Flashed quite a few different ROMs, CyanogenMod wasn't harder to set up than any of the others.

While I do like CM7 better than stock Android or Sense, I won't hesitate to move away if someone comes up with a good ICS ROM before the CM9 builds start rolling out.

6. Yatashi Strife

Yatashi Strife GBAtemp Fan

May 31, 2008
    United States
    The Void
    likewise.