DarkGabbz

Resident XBOX Guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Splash.jpg

CXBX-Reloaded now has a official Patreon page.

Quote from LukeUsher:"I got the OK from Patrick to create a Patreon. This would be funding me personally to work on Cxbx-Reloaded & purchase games/dev equipment to aid the project, but not funding the project directly. If somebody could share the link (i'd rather not self post) that would be great. Also feedback is welcomed, I've never done anything like this before."

Quote from the Patreon page:"Cxbx-Reloaded is a work-in-progress Xbox Emulator for Microsoft Windows. Thanks to recent developments, it now boots more titles than ever before and is finally making progress at a steady rate. This is very exciting, but there is still a lot of work to be done. Money received will go towards funding myself to spend more hours working on Cxbx-Reloaded, purchasing games to test, and purchasing equipment required to further develop the emulator."

Example:
unknown.png
Home: http://cxbx-reloaded.co.uk
GitHub: http://github.com/Cxbx-Reloaded/Cxbx-Reloaded
Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/LukeUsher

Last edited by DarkGabbz,

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I remember way back when this and DXBX, I think, were the big news... And even today I recon an emulator like Cemu (has done for WIIU) for Xbox original could be awesome!

Last edited by KiiWii,

JayFoxRox

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I feel you should seperate the PERSONAL / PRIVATE patreon link of LukeUsher from the COMMUNITY project links and put a big fat disclaimer that other people are also working on cxbx-reloaded who will not benefit from donations to LukeUsher (like he said in that quote).

Note that I'm not saying you shouldn't donate to LukeUsher (you probably should.. support creators!), but just be aware that this is an open source project. Especially one on the foundation built by many other people since 2001. If you want to support a project, check what each developer does / did and decide for yourself who deserves and who doesn't deserve money. Also check if they consider it payment for work in the future [which isn't a donation anymore], or if they take it as a token of appreciation. Some devs will take money to work fulltime, others take money to cover costs and donate the rest, others split the money with other devs etc.
Monetizing open source is complicated. Just keep this in mind.

//Edit: Just realized the topic title is probably more misleading.. It's not "CXBX-Reloaded Patreon Page" but "LukeUshers / CXBX-Reloaded Maintainers Private Patreon Page" - VERY different things imo.

Last edited by JayFoxRox,

DarkGabbz

Resident XBOX Guy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
I feel you should seperate the PERSONAL / PRIVATE patreon link of LukeUsher from the COMMUNITY project links and put a big fat disclaimer that other people are also working on cxbx-reloaded who will not benefit from donations to LukeUsher (like he said in that quote).

Note that I'm not saying you shouldn't donate to LukeUsher (you probably should.. support creators!), but just be aware that this is an open source project. Especially one on the foundation built by many other people since 2001. If you want to support a project, check what each developer does / did and decide for yourself who deserves and who doesn't deserve money. Also check if they consider it payment for work in the future [which isn't a donation anymore], or if they take it as a token of appreciation. Some devs will take money to work fulltime, others take money to cover costs and donate the rest, others split the money with other devs etc.
Monetizing open source is complicated. Just keep this in mind.

//Edit: Just realized the topic title is probably more misleading.. It's not "CXBX-Reloaded Patreon Page" but "LukeUshers / CXBX-Reloaded Maintainers Private Patreon Page" - VERY different things imo.
There are only 2 people working on cxbx actively LukeUsher and PatrickvL.

Last edited by DarkGabbz,

JayFoxRox

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
It's listed as open source project on github with past contributions by 9 other people (and a lot of people playing a key role there are still missing [for technical reasons], such as caustik [where Caustiks Xbox = cxbx got its name from]). It's also missing everybody involved in researching the original Xbox which takes at least as much time as development of the emu itself.
I think focusing on the 2 currently active developers (and disregarding any past or future contribution) kind of defeats the point of working open-source (on github at least). Nobody prevents anybody from contributing either: There might only be 2 active contributors now, but that doesn't mean there won't be any other contributors in the (even near) future again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone