Homebrew Custom Theme Thread

miraclaime

custom themes maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Basically, yes, and I have been doing it. But I've been using a pixel gap of 36 for my 2DS, and that's just an estimate. I wanna know the EXACT number of unused pixels between the top and bottom displays of the 2DS. I thought a forum like this would be the place to go.
If you only want the exact size then its easy! Here do exactly like this, put magic tool on unused space then create a new layer, put a color on it, after that convert it to smart object and edit that layer it will give you a new page with only unused space thst you put color on it (without the drawable area) then press resize image and see how much width and height that unused space has ;)

Tulsleah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
The size and distance gives screen of the Nintendo 2ds and the same as the old Nintendo 3ds.
The 2DS may have the same (virtual) screen size, but the gap is a world apart.
jdaaxz.jpg

(Left: a 2DS, Right: an o3DS)
Now, the virtual screen size is certainly a known, but the gap isn't.
If we either had a raw screendump of the 2DS's panel, or simply knew its actual resolution we could subtract 240+240 from the hight (Assuming there are no unused pixels above or below the screen)
Measuring the size of the gap and working back from there is pointless as it won't give anything more accurate than the comparison I've already done, which game 36 pixels, but I wanna know the true value none the less.
I'm sure you can understand, in your guide you did talk about doing things the proper (nintendo) way.

Last edited by Tulsleah,
Reactions: miraclaime

miraclaime

custom themes maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
jdaaxz.jpg

If we either had a raw screendump of the 2DS's panel, or simply knew its actual resolution we could subtract 240+240 from the hight (Assuming there are no unused pixels above or below the screen)
Measuring the size of the gap and working back from there is pointless as it won't give anything more accurate than the comparison I've already done, which game 36 pixels, but I wanna know the true value none the less.
I'm sure you can understand, in your guide you did talk about doing things the proper (nintendo) way.
Oh you're right the gap is different in size, silly me i tho it was the same as any 3ds :o sorry
I could measure it for you but i cant promise anything, bcs i dont have 2ds myself, but i think i could do it with only a sample pic of 2ds in google, tbh thats what i do to my n3ds preview, and i got the right size, miracle huh xD

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

@miraclaime The files I provided at the beginning of the tutorial worked perfectly in your Photoshop ?
Tutorial - https://gbatemp.net/entry/definitiv...uality-as-the-official-nintendo-themes.12024/
If you have not downloaded you could do me a favor and download the files to see if the items are appearing in your Photoshop normally.
Yes it work, i think i've tried your border psd that you put on mega, err IIRC im using the border psd that your neptune theme used

Ryumaru

Creator of themes for 3DS
Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
jdaaxz.jpg

You can find this information in Nintendo 2DS wikipedia in the topic of technical specifications.
I used the technical information from the wikipedia of the New 3DS and the Old 3DS to make the file that allows to create themes using a single image.

@miraclaime
You just have to do the second part of the tutorial. You were wanting to learn to do what kind of effect.
Note: The border of the theme gives Neptune does not use the new settings that I developed.

@MartyDreamy A question only the files that I made available by the Mega server are presenting this problem in your Photoshop ?

Last edited by Ryumaru,

Tulsleah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Oh you're right the gap is different in size, silly me i tho it was the same as any 3ds :o sorry
I could measure it for you but i cant promise anything, bcs i dont have 2ds myself, but i think i could do it with only a sample pic of 2ds in google, tbh thats what i do to my n3ds preview, and i got the right size, miracle huh xD
Don't worry about it, I've already measured it to the pixel.
It's just that my measurements put it half a pixel off, at this point I'm just beyond curious.
I'VE SPEND TOO LONG WONDERING IF I'M RIGHT, I MUST KNOW THE ANSWER!
You can find this information in Nintendo 2DS wikipedia in the topic of technical specifications.
I've already looked, all they list is the "Upper" and "Lower" screen resolutions, not the raw LCD's (Upper+lower+all the space in between) resolution.

miraclaime

custom themes maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Don't worry about it, I've already measured it to the pixel.
It's just that my measurements put it half a pixel off, at this point I'm just beyond curious.
I'VE SPEND TOO LONG WONDERING IF I'M RIGHT, I MUST KNOW THE ANSWER!

I've already looked, all they list is the "Upper" and "Lower" screen resolutions, not the raw LCD's (Upper+lower+all the space in between) resolution.
Have you tried this ? Measure your 2ds using ruler and after that convert the size in cm to pixel

Tulsleah

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Have you tried this ? Measure your 2ds using ruler and after that convert the size in cm to pixel
I did, it gave me 35.5 pixels.
Then I took a photo of the 2DS with a custom pattern displayed on it, then used that to work out how many pixels. It gave me 35.5/36 pixels.
Yet, for some reason, I still wanna know what secrets are hidden under that small metal bar covering the gap.

MartyDreamy

Would you do anything for me?
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I used the technical information from the wikipedia of the New 3DS and the Old 3DS to make the file that allows to create themes using a single image.

@miraclaime
You just have to do the second part of the tutorial. You were wanting to learn to do what kind of effect.
Note: The border of the theme gives Neptune does not use the new settings that I developed.

@MartyDreamy A question only the files that I made available by the Mega server are presenting this problem in your Photoshop ?
Mhm...I don't know...
The "single image" psd is the only who work on my pc

Ryumaru

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Mhm...I don't know...
The "single image" psd is the only who work on my pc
You have already tried to restore the default settings of Photoshop because the images you passed had some changed settings. In one of the images the guides were appearing as if they were two stretched rectangles, in the other image was active the auto trimming mode

@MartyDreamy
In my Photoshop the tabs appear as in the image below.

17.jpg

In the image you posted the tab settings are with other settings.

upload_2017-1-5_11-21-23.png

In this image the cut selection tool is enabled and it was not for her to be enabled.

Press control +; To disable the tabs then press the letter V to activate the selection tool. Extend the work area using the lopa tool. Take a picture and post so I can see.

Last edited by Ryumaru,
Reactions: MartyDreamy

MartyDreamy

Would you do anything for me?
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Prewiew 3ds.png

I'm here again with themes :3

BGM: Star Festival
SFX: /
(Thank you my friend for make me the border texture :P)

cosmicsopra.png cosmicsotto.png filelarge.png filesmall.png folderclosed.png folderopen.png

DOWNLOAD HERE

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You have already tried to restore the default settings of Photoshop because the images you passed had some changed settings. In one of the images the guides were appearing as if they were two stretched rectangles, in the other image was active the auto trimming mode

@MartyDreamy
In my Photoshop the tabs appear as in the image below.

View attachment 73808

In the image you posted the tab settings are with other settings.

View attachment 73809

In this image the cut selection tool is enabled and it was not for her to be enabled.

Press control +; To disable the tabs then press the letter V to activate the selection tool. Extend the work area using the lopa tool. Take a picture and post so I can see.
I can't do this now but thanks :D
I can do this later

miraclaime

custom themes maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
I see that you are using the stretching effect on the top and bottom images. You are the third person I see using this effect so far, only me and @FlameSpeedster use this effect in the images.
Hey, ive been using it too it just i were too lazy to post my top n bottom screen one by one xD, tho at first i only do it for borders sometimes but now im start using it for top screen aswell welp im start using it bcs you mention it posed problem for other n3ds user
top.png 2017-01-01-881156 top 2.png toptop 12.png

@miraclaime
Hmmm.. i dont have anything in mind r now

I did, it gave me 35.5 pixels.
Then I took a photo of the 2DS with a custom pattern displayed on it, then used that to work out how many pixels. It gave me 35.5/36 pixels.
Yet, for some reason, I still wanna know what secrets are hidden under that small metal bar covering the gap.
That some curiosity youve got there

Ryumaru

Trophies
XP
Country
Ukraine
Hey, ive been using it too it just i were too lazy to post my top n bottom screen one by one xD, tho at first i only do it for borders sometimes but now im start using it for top screen aswell welp im start using it bcs you mention it posed problem for other n3ds user
View attachment 73865 View attachment 73867 View attachment 73868

Hmmm.. i dont have anything in mind r now

That some curiosity youve got there
The effect is simple I do not take 2 minutes to apply this effect on both images.
I like to apply this effect in both images because I honestly do not like to leave the image of the bottom screen with colored background.

Last edited by Ryumaru,

miraclaime

custom themes maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
The effect is simple I do not take 2 minutes to apply this effect on both images.
I like to apply this effect in both images because I honestly do not like to leave the image of the bottom screen with colored background.
Honestly as for me i wont bother with smth that doesnt even show up in 3ds, but as for top screen and borders is one thing bcs of the errors

FlameSpeedster

That Guy Who Made 250+ 3DS Themes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Basically, yes, and I have been doing it. But I've been using a pixel gap of 36 for my 2DS, and that's just an estimate. I wanna know the EXACT number of unused pixels between the top and bottom displays of the 2DS. I thought a forum like this would be the place to go.
It seems to all come down to preference from what I've seen. I personally make the space 16px but every other theme creator uses a different amount. Just use what looks good to you.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My second ever theme! This time for my other favorite band, blink-182 I gotta work on making the loop better, its hard to get it fitting under 3.3mb and covering all of the music that you want it too. But the loop is still decent, so I'll look at that some other time, for now I'm tired, but happy with my end result so I knew I had to share. To any other fellow blink fans that was ever looking for a good theme, I greatly hope you'll consider my theme:

Preview.png

Download it: HERE

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4