Hacking Custom firmware????

lafleche

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am really not very technical but knowing that in the pc world you could do a lot with the hardware (I flashed my dvd drives to be regionfree, flashed my videocard to enable overclocking) so.....

- why can't we flash the WII drive to accept backups (just as the xbox360)?
- why can't we create some custom firmware to accept backups?
- replace the dvd-unit with one on which we can start backups?

This will make modchips completely obsolete.... just a wild (and probably stupid) suggestion.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Because nobody (at the moment) knows how. That's the simple answer.

- Sam
So it may be possible in the future... I don't want to put a modchip in my Wii, but I guess a FlashMe-like firmware would be OK... What do you think the chance is that this happens, and when do you think it happens?

Of course, you can't say exactly, but can you make a wild guess? Are people already trying this?

unr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Of course, you can't say exactly, but can you make a wild guess? Are people already trying this?
People are working on decrypting current wii firmware. That would be a huge step towards homebrew and custom firmware.
Nobody can say when is this going to hapen. Might be tomorrow, might be never. I prefer to think positive though - remember how Wiinja was released out of the blue, when nobody expected it?

gamez2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am really not very technical but knowing that in the pc world you could do a lot with the hardware (I flashed my dvd drives to be regionfree, flashed my videocard to enable overclocking) so.....

- why can't we flash the WII drive to accept backups (just as the xbox360)?
- why can't we create some custom firmware to accept backups?
- replace the dvd-unit with one on which we can start backups?

This will make modchips completely obsolete.... just a wild (and probably stupid) suggestion.

This may be in the future but the wii dvd-rom is not built to be easily flashed like a pc dvd-rom ect which is made to be firmware upgraded.

If it were this easy there would be no modchip business
tongue.gif

gamez2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
People are working on decrypting current wii firmware. That would be a huge step towards homebrew and custom firmware.
Nobody can say when is this going to hapen. Might be tomorrow, might be never. I prefer to think positive though - remember how Wiinja was released out of the blue, when nobody expected it?

I would love to see some sort of XBMC on the wii it would be awesome thou the wii needs a HDD
tongue.gif

unr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am not implying that Wiinja team was keeping it secret until release date, but most people expected at least half of the year to pass before seeing first Wii modchip.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-6512692/arcade-1-up-infinity-50-games-game-board.jsp?pfm=bdrecs...