Hacking Homebrew Custom firmware on PSP?

Farami9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi four quick Qs
What model PSP can run custom firmware?
How would I be able to check a PSP in order to see if it can run custom firmware? (Im going to be looking at second hand PSPs at pawn shops)
Also what is the best custom firmware?
What are you running on your PSP?

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just ask the shop if you can try out the psp. In the case of buying a 2nd hand psp this is not an illogical question. If it has firmware 3.03 or lower you won't have any problems running homebrew. As for the custom firmware..there are plenty of places you can find info on that so try google.

edit: the firmware number is listed under system information, or some menu along those lines. I don't actually own a psp but I hacked my friends psp thats why I don't remember clearly.

edit2: I completely forgot. You can only downgrade from 3.03 if you have an unpatched copy of GTA Liberty City Stories. To do it without the game, I think you need firmware 2.7? 2.71? Sorry, not sure about that number. Lower firmware numbers are always ok.

Bowser128

King Koopa
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
1. A PSP with a firmware version up to 3.03 can be downgraded to 1.5, and then upgraded to a custom firmware of your choice.

2. If you're looking in pawn shops, ask to have a look at the PSP turned on so you can check the firmware in the menu.

Sony said:
To check the version of your system software, go to
icn_settings.gif
(Settings) > [System Settings] > [System Information]. The information is shown in the System Software field.

3. The best firmware is whatever the latest version of Dark Alex's Open Edition (OE) firmware is, because it offers all the features of the official Sony updates, but with ISO and Homebrew loading.

4. I use 3.10 OE-A (the newest OE).

D

Deleted User

Wow, quite a bunch of question you got there. Let's see if I can help.

1. The only firmware that can install a custom firmware is 1.5 or one of the SE/OE versions. So it's better to ask which versions to downgrade. I know that a v1.5-v2.71 PSP can be downgraded (did it myself with three different models), but I'm not exactly following the PSP news so I'm not sure about other versions.

2. I don't know, except for checking it at the shop (dead pixels etc.) before you buy and go to 'Settings - System Settings - System Information' in the XMB. I've read something about checking the boxes but I'm not sure if that'll do the job (or ever has). You should try forums.maxconsole.net for more info on this.

3. ?

4. I'm running Dark Alex' custom firmware v3.03 OE-C; I'm going to upgrade to v3.10 OE sometime, but at the moment my PSP just sits here collecting dust.
tongue.gif

edit: I'm just like too slow today...
laugh.gif

Farami9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks Heaps
So I will need an unpatched GTA to downgrade 3.03 but I get a 2.71 or lower I'm fine and dandy...That correct?

Checking dead pixels - best way?

Also wants does that TA 082 mean?

Thanks

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Thanks Heaps
So I will need an unpatched GTA to downgrade 3.03 but I get a 2.71 or lower I'm fine and dandy...That correct?

Checking dead pixels - best way?

Also wants does that TA 082 mean?

Thanks

Yes a 2.71 or below is fine to downgrade without GTA:LCS. Just know which revision of motherboard you have.
Not sure about stuck pixels, but you can either play a pure black image on the slideshow and just look at it in the dark. Either that or use the credits (About Playstation Portable) option under Settings.

TA082 is just a model of motherboard

D

Deleted User

I'd say, yes it is pretty easy. With a 2.71 PSP for example, you'll copy some stuff on your memory stick and then try to launch a picture until you get a red screen, which signalises the buffer overflow and the PSP will start copying the firmware. When finished, just restart it manually and enter the settings.
After this you only got to run the update to any of the OE versions and you're done.
smile.gif

Farami9

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im only asking as people are charging $50 to do it...

Also how does the motherboard affect the downgrading?.... (Also would a PSP wth 2.61 firmware not have the TA 082?)

myclock

Trophies
Website
www.ahg123.com
XP
Country
if the psp your buying is an older model it is more flexible.( the ones before the base pack) you can have custom firmware running on it. i had 2 firmwares at once by using devhook. it lets you run one firmware and emulates another firmware so you can run homebrew and the latest games on one psp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    this is my first aurora tbh
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i mean, multiple have happened in my lifetime, but it's always been too cloudy
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    IT'S LIKE THAT ALMOST EVERY FUCKING METEOR SHOWER TOO
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    You need to setup a time lapse camera, be neat
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I actually use a pic of it on my pc desktop cause its cool looking
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Apparently the pro versión of pizza boy is back aswell
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Gonna download the update
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Only 2 antiviruses detected the APK as a virus on virustotal so it Must be safe
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Cuz false positive
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Wait
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Eh nvm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sadly, the clouds are setting in now

hey BigOnYa the clouds are coming from the south, maybe check again
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good night it's 11 pm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @BakerMan Nuh I'm in for the night playing Fallout 4, ill look tomorrow night
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok had let dog out, and yea still can't see it, oh well. Maybe tom night.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ballocks these drives aren't allowing raid
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That sucks, well you will get double the space then atleast.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy needs to come back
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you try Raid 10?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I did raid69
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    The physical disk keeps disabling in bios
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    hey ken did you see the aurora tonight?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also sorry it was too cloudy, that sucks