Hacking Custom Amiibo Cards for BOTW

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What type of printer would I need to make these? I assume a regular printer would probably have them be grainy and wouldn't be cost efficient for ink.

I would aim for a laser printer, but have no experience with them so I dont know what you should look for. I just got them printed at staples.

@Random11 any chance you will add the shadows to Revali and Daruk? Did you ever make cards for the Goomba and Koopa?

I can add the shadows. Might not happen for a bit though, depending on when I have some time. Goomba and Koopa are currently not on my to do list. A lot of the Super Mario amiibo character art is not available in high enough quality, so I am hesitant on starting that line.

Any love for the Pikmin amiibo? :(

Same thing with pikmin, I've spent a little bit looking for the art assets, couldnt find them. I might spend some more time in the future, but again, its not on my to do list right now.

Reactions: Golgo13

skypirate123

Trophies
XP
Country
Hey all, been researching into it more and if you are looking for printers etc it may be worth looking into an Inkjet Printer that can have a printer tray? Unsure on how well it prints but can easily buy blank NFC cards and print on both sides.

Currently still looking at a possible print through Alibaba/CN seller. Should hopefully have some news in the next few days about trying a full print run of roughly 162 NFC cards (All cards barring the huge AC ones, Mario Sports ones). If all goes well I'll let you guys know general costs and contacts to see if they'd also do prints for others.

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey all, been researching into it more and if you are looking for printers etc it may be worth looking into an Inkjet Printer that can have a printer tray? Unsure on how well it prints but can easily buy blank NFC cards and print on both sides.

Currently still looking at a possible print through Alibaba/CN seller. Should hopefully have some news in the next few days about trying a full print run of roughly 162 NFC cards (All cards barring the huge AC ones, Mario Sports ones). If all goes well I'll let you guys know general costs and contacts to see if they'd also do prints for others.

if you get the inkjet printer + tray for NFC cards, just know that you have to buy specific nfc cards that are ink jet printable. Normal PVC cards need special ID card printers and wont work with the ink jet tray.

skypirate123

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for that info Random. Forgot to mention that!

Update on Alibaba seller who's given me these costs. Not too bad considering they will be fully printed cards. Probably cheaper if you get more but this is essentially a basic set of every card with NTAG215.

For 162 pcs cards, $0.306/pc = $49.57
And delivery to the UK is $21.
Total $70.572

Above is for Bridge Size cards I think. Add $10 for Poker size.

Last edited by skypirate123,

Brix8983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would aim for a laser printer, but have no experience with them so I dont know what you should look for. I just got them printed at staples.

I can add the shadows. Might not happen for a bit though, depending on when I have some time. Goomba and Koopa are currently not on my to do list. A lot of the Super Mario amiibo character art is not available in high enough quality, so I am hesitant on starting that line.

Same thing with pikmin, I've spent a little bit looking for the art assets, couldnt find them. I might spend some more time in the future, but again, its not on my to do list right now.

I went to staples to see about printing these today. They told me they couldn't print them because they were copyrighted pictures. /shrugs

mrdami3n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I went to staples to see about printing these today. They told me they couldn't print them because they were copyrighted pictures. /shrugs

Don't go to staples go to an independent printer or just purchase a decent printer. Mine was only £50 gets the job done. You just want a cheap photo printer if you want quality prints. I used to get mine printed at an independent printers and they would charge about £2 a sheet. So that's £2 for 3 cards. I do it myself now for around 30p. Most expensive bit when doing it is the paper I print on.

mrdami3n

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Don't go to staples go to an independent printer or just purchase a decent printer. Mine was only £50 gets the job done. You just want a cheap photo printer if you want quality prints. I used to get mine printed at an independent printers and they would charge about £2 a sheet. So that's £2 for 3 cards. I do it myself now for around 30p. Most expensive bit when doing it is the paper I print on.

The attached file is printed with an Inkjet printer. You don't need to fork out for a laser one. The most important thing you will need to get right is what you print on. Paper s silly too filmsy and some are see through, so it's going to look awful. I tried dozens of different papers before settling with this one. You will want thick paper/card.

As for PVC Cards you can get the job done with a compatible printer that prints onto cds. You will need to purchase a custom tray about £20 depending on your printer and purchase a set of inkjet cards. Bare in mind you can only do 2 at a time and one side at a time. Plus it will use more ink if your printer likes to clean the heads after every job.... Now forr quality, it will print well just not as good as manually making them. You can't go into the features as much as normal printing when printing to card. Plus getting the printing done right first time is a pain.

If you need more in depth help PM me. Because I won't give away exact methods due to people "watching" and selling from this forum. Btw I made my own mario cards only issue with a high res is Koopa troopa... hes hard to get hold of.

Attachments

• 20170816_192713.jpg
    20170816_192713.jpg
    934.9 KB · Views: 480

skypirate123

Trophies
XP
Country
Sneak peak of some NFC cards I'm getting printed in China.

Thanks to uhhhh (I forgot soooo sorry) for the images. Can't wait to receive them all cut and ready.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 516
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 557

Joosse

Trophies
XP
Country
El Salvador
Hola alguien tendrá las imágenes de las tarjetas de animal crossing tengo días de andar buscándolas pero no e encontrado las que encuentro salen están en baja resolución cuando las imprimo a la medida de las tarjetas se ve bastante borrosas...
Muchas gracias de ante mano

aru75

Trophies
XP
Country
France
here... idk where you got that picture but I recreated them for you. I put in the English names, hope you don't mind. Also the source image didnt have enough art to leave a proper bleed.... so above and below the crop marks is just stretched out to make a fake bleed, not much I could do there.

Hello,

Thank you very much for your work.
I got some printed and the result is awesome.
Would you have the time to edit a fire emblem back version without the red nintendo layer, more like the other cards you made ?
Thanks

Random11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello,

Thank you very much for your work.
I got some printed and the result is awesome.
Would you have the time to edit a fire emblem back version without the red nintendo layer, more like the other cards you made ?
Thanks
im sorry im not really sure what you mean? There is no red nintendo layer on the fire emblem back

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.