[Custom 3DSthemes] Requests, Quality Check, and Advice

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by jurassicplayer, Feb 17, 2016.

1. jurassicplayer
    OP

jurassicplayer Completionist Themer

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    - Themes of the Week -
    - Past Theme Picks -
    ---

So this thread might possibly be redundant to some people, but those people don't matter to me. As the thread title suggests, this thread is (in theory) a thread where people can post up requests for themes and all of the requests will end up in the first post so finding requests isn't a hunt.

There is also a theme of the week...mostly because I want it there. There wasn't really any reason for it. If anything, maybe it can be used to highlight different themers and their fancier themes. Honestly though, this is going to be biased to all hell since I'm the one picking.

Also, in the hopes of people making more quality themes, you can ask for some opinions about what you currently have (maybe you can't decide on a color, or just want a second opinion, etc.) or give your own opinion about other people's work in progress.

Themers, try not to take each and every comment as someone hating on your theme, and if you feel that others opinions aren't needed, then there is little you can obtain from this thread.
    Opinionated bystanders, try not to be reserved in your critiquing, this thread is for improving themes, not pandering to themer ego. Worst case, I might reply and give my own opinions.

Lastly, tying in with the quality themes, you can ask for some ideas or advice. Maybe you aren't good at coming up with good folder icons, icon borders, or something else. Then we can all sit and wiggle around your issues too until you get something you are satisfied with.

tl;dr: A thread for chatting about Work in Progress 3ds themes

Last edited by jurassicplayer, Aug 26, 2016

2. Potato hoarder

Potato hoarder Hoarder of Potatoes

Feb 2, 2016
    Canada
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    I'm going to export and upload sfx files from the game. What format would you prefer? @Ryumaru

3. Ryumaru

Ryumaru Creator of themes for 3DS

Feb 1, 2015
    Brazil
    @jurassicplayer - After I give an update on that theme because when I did this theme I didn't have the exploit that allows you to extract the sounds of the games.
    PS 1: This topic will be extremely useful for anyone who wants to start creating custom themes.
    PS 2: And added this section in my favorites.

@Potato hoarder - If possible in Wav I will first finish the 3 theme projects I own then I see it without problem.

Last edited by Ryumaru, Feb 17, 2016
    Potato hoarder likes this.
  4. jurassicplayer
    OP

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    - Theme of the Week -
    @Ryumaru's Pokemon Ghost Theme (thread post)
    [​IMG]
    This theme has wonderful purple color throughout, well picked backgrounds, and a fantastic folder icon. A bass heavy remix of the Pokemon Tower that does a great job of setting up that ghostly hype vibe. Unfortunately no scrolling on either screen, icon borders, or custom sfx.

---

I might add a section that has tips and tricks sort of things. Like range compression and then normalize to try and make those quieter sections of sound effects just a little bit louder or something. Probably the major problem with this thread is that easily finding it would require active discussion throughout the day. I'm also changing the first post as requests come and go (though that sort of thing nobody probably will notice).

Anyways, I decided on the top screen and a variety of the colors now. I would like some opinions on if I should add a top and bottom bar to "split" the buttons from the "screen space" like I did in my other themes. I was considering putting a character animation on the bottom screen, but I don't think I have enough resources for some of the side characters for it to work.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by jurassicplayer, Feb 22, 2016
    Ryumaru likes this.
  5. Arubaro

Arubaro Soulspace Guardian

Sep 4, 2015
    I personally like themes with bgm which doesn't have voices (instrumentals, off vocals, karaoke versions) and yes, more than one time I wished to have more resources to choose from.
    I have made just a few but I can say I have learned something with each of them and I like that fact.
    Cool thread btw.

6. pofer

pofer GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2016
    Spain
    Somewhere around the corner
    I'd love to help in anything I can :)

7. Ryumaru

Feb 1, 2015
    Brazil
    @jurassicplayer - It was really cool that theme. Changing the subject would be nice if it had here tutorials how to create folders and edges. This would help many users who are having difficulties in creating folders and custom edges.

Last edited by Ryumaru, Feb 21, 2016
  8. jurassicplayer
    OP

Mar 7, 2009
    United States
    Pantsuland
    - Theme of the Week -
    LittleXiao's Warm Flandre
    [​IMG]
    This theme really doesn't push the envelope at all. Normally I dislike these sorts of themes that just replace the top/bottom screen, pick some colors, and add a song, but this one is quite well picked. The brightened color buttons against the muted background make everything very easy to see and pleasant to look at. The top screen could literally be almost anything and the theme would probably still work. The music is a rather nice piano rendition of U.N. Owen. If there were anything to gripe about, I wish bottom screen has just a little bit of animation or at least scroll since it IS a patterned background, but unfortunately it's a static image (easily fixed).

---

That would be great, the more opinions the better.

I can make a little tutorial about how I personally make folders and edges (maybe tomorrow) which would offer people at least a method for turning out some sort of folders/edges, but really the main thing would be to describe the limitations of the files and leave the actual artwork to the themer. If anyone else also wants to make any in-depth sort of tutorials (pictures and the like would be great too), they can also post them (whether as a new thread or as a post in this thread) and I'll add them to the list as well.

9. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    I been working on beatmania IIDX themes personally, these are for myself first, but I try to make them the best I could personally, and I pay a lot of attention to the sound.

Current project is DJ Troopers
    Current WIP

Almost half of the theme making for these is spent in audacity and Yata converting to Cwavs and making audio manipulation, and loop points. There is few tricks I did for scrolling backgrounds and that is simple stuff I done. I try to keep quality at best it can be with current tools, personally lamenting we still have not publicly cracked how scroll SFW is flagged or whatever.
    Audacity at work

I dunno what tips and tricks I might need, but I come up with few myself such as using audacity to make specific loop points which is rare in custom themes - then again I am specifically using assets made for loops mixed with other stuff but still, audacity can be used to show samples. I am glad new tools can tell maximum CWAV chunk size so you know where to cut corners, because I personally would keep it in minimum.

10. Ryumaru

Feb 1, 2015
    Brazil
    @jurassicplayer - I can do some pictures explaining how to configure Audacity to put background music sounds in stereo mode without exceeding 3.3 mbs.

I used this method in my last project that can be seen in the image below, and the music was perfect.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Ryumaru, Feb 22, 2016
  11. CeeDee

CeeDee Heya!

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    This theme will look a little off on the 3DS itself - if you make a theme that uses both screens for one image, it's best to make a gap between the two screens. It'll look a bit odd when previewing it on theme tools and screenshots, but it'll look better on your 3DS itself.

If I recall correctly I cut 80px of space to make room for the division between the top and bottom, and it looked great.

Sumea likes this.
  12. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    @Ryumaru It is bad juju to just continue image as is between the screens, it will look like the character got super stretched between the screens and DS game devs dropped it even and started to emulate screenspace between screens to make it look less jarring. I forgot what was the virtual pixel amount some theme makers back in DS days made - but overall given 3DS theming possibilities two screen photos are bad idea in my opinion.

CeeDee likes this.
  13. CeeDee

CeeDee Heya!

GBAtemp Patron
    CeeDee is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 4, 2014
    United States
    Yoshi's Island DS used a screen gap too. It usually tends to look odd with it just continuing from the bottom screen.

14. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    A lot of games did later, I think even chrono trigger DS uses it (Only the main menu animation) and other stuff like that, most games started to use it in actual games if they were making something that displayed over both screens.

15. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    I don't know what it is officially, but DeSMuMe, a DS emulator, offers screen gaps of 64 pixels and 90 pixels (vertically, of course), so you can probably adjust your images to those as needed.

Last edited by daxtsu, Feb 22, 2016 - Reason: Worded that oddly.
  16. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    Yeah. I think 64 was "the standard" for years as more or less; any gap looks good enough already than no gap at all. I opt to just come up with ideas myself avoiding to choose a vertical image that I would want to cut for both screens. One thing I did do personally was make a top/bottom custom images for my CTRbootmanager, and even then I was being superficial where I only used natural gap that was left into the image after I cut 240 from top and 240 from bottom.

17. Ryumaru

Feb 1, 2015
    Brazil
    1456167142238.jpg

@daxtsu, @Sonic_Cee_Dee - It was very strange when I cut the image in exact dimensions, cut much of the breastplate of Luffy all. That's why I chose for this form.
    I already did a tutorial explaining the exact dimensions of the 3ds screens so that have images that even applying the right method is very bad.

I did a file that allows you to view the exact length between the two screens, I can provide in this section without problem. This exact height.

Last edited by Ryumaru, Feb 22, 2016
    Games&Stuff and daxtsu like this.
  18. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    According to photohop 83 pixels so the 90 seems to be right on the money (given your photo also ignores few mm for the screen borders)

19. Ryumaru

Feb 1, 2015
    Brazil
    @Sumea - The big problem in using a single image to make a theme of 3DS and that depending on the image it can be with a very strange appearance.

20. Sumea

Sumea Disco Ninja Frog

Aug 16, 2008
    Finland
    Turku
    Yes, which is why I personally do not do that myself at all.